Chromebook: Any truth to Scroogled?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I was just trying to read a review of something when a little banner ad redirected my errant touch to "scroogled". They're saying the Chromebook is basically a poor device because it's only a "shell with a web browser" and you can't use apps offline.

I'm wondering if anyone has a different perspective on Chromebook than the scroogled site. Here's what they said

Don't Get Scroogled! - Scroogled
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I've considered buying a Chromebook, but it just seems like you can't do anything on one, except use Google Chrome and use the apps that they provide, which is basically only Google Docs.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a Chromebook, but I think you are both misinformed. Chromebook should allow you download and use offline apps.

For productivity get a real laptop or ultrabook. Asus Transformer for mild amount of productivity since it have a detachable keyboard, though still mostly entertainment. While I'm not sold on Chromebook, this Scroogled campaign is ridiculous. They want you to buy their Surface tablet.

This should sum up Microsoft's idea, watch from 27m and 32sec:
youtube.com/watch?v=hjMu0tHfUQo#t=27m32s

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I was just trying to read a review of something when a little banner ad redirected my errant touch to "scroogled". They're saying the Chromebook is basically a poor device because it's only a "shell with a web browser" and you can't use apps offline.

I'm wondering if anyone has a different perspective on Chromebook than the scroogled site. Here's what they said

Don't Get Scroogled! - Scroogled

Chromebooks aren't bad. While I find that Windows has a lot more features since it is more widely used than Chrome OS, I feel people should give them a chance.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I wanted a perspective other than the scroogled. I thought Chromebooks were like any other netbook only running Android/Linux. Thanks again.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Chromebooks are a waste of money IMO, but to each their own. It's your money, do what you want with it.

If you're willing to spend $200-$250 on a Chromebook, then you should seriously look into $250-$300 Windows 8 laptops. I bought an Asus X202E with a Core i3, touchscreen Windows 8 laptop for $300 back on 4/13 and it does everything I need.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Chromebooks are a waste of money IMO, but to each their own. It's your money, do what you want with it.

If you're willing to spend $200-$250 on a Chromebook, then you should seriously look into $250-$300 Windows 8 laptops. I bought an Asus X202E with a Core i3, touchscreen Windows 8 laptop for $300 back on 4/13 and it does everything I need.

I saw a Toshiba Windows 8 Tablet for 299$. Looks pretty good! Or even a netbook might have more functionality! :p

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on what your needs are. My wife is not what I would consider super computer savvy at all... She has one and uses it for just about everything. She goes to college and works, does all her papers etc on it. She doesn't always have wifi either, and gets by just fine.

There is a bit of a learning curve if you're used to only doing things on a pc. The main thing is how to properly use Google drive. Took me a few times of explaining it to her lol.... A couple of benefits: it's easy to use, very friendly ui... And it never has problems, like never. It's never locked up or anything like that. Good luck with your decision!

Posted via Android Central App

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what your needs are. My wife is not what I would consider super computer savvy at all... She has one and uses it for just about everything. She goes to college and works, does all her papers etc on it. She doesn't always have wifi either, and gets by just fine.

There is a bit of a learning curve if you're used to only doing things on a pc. The main thing is how to properly use Google drive. Took me a few times of explaining it to her lol.... A couple of benefits: it's easy to use, very friendly ui... And it never has problems, like never. It's never locked up or anything like that. Good luck with your decision!

This is pretty much how I'd put it. I just bought a Chromebook on a Black Friday special. Depending on your needs, a Chromebook will not be a PC replacement. But most people use a laptop for browsing, email, Facebook, etc. A Chromebook is great for that. Plus more and more apps are becoming usable offline. The Chromebook is fast and stable. No maintenance is required. I'm still learning, but I already know it'll do almost anything my wife & I use a laptop for around the house. It's a great 2nd device!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I like all these various prsepectives, thanks! I'm not in the market for a notebook right now but I was confused by what Chromebooks can do after I saw that video. But it's more clear now. If documents can be written on it, as in having a good word processor, and if it could run Open Office or whatever, it's more well rounded IMHO. Thanks.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of things a Chromebook CAN'T do, that's true.

But, nearly everything the average non-techy person does with a computer can be done with a Chromebook. And there are a surprising amount of very useful apps, all of which you can try out beforehand by installing the Chrome browser on your PC and checking out the Chrome store.

The advantages of a Chromebook are:

Lighter weight
Often better battery life
Boots in just a few seconds, literally.
OS upgrades happen automatically, in the background. Most people never realize it happened.
Essentially free of malware.

My niece has one that she uses for school (high school). Most of her homework is submitted via Docs/Gmail, some schoolbooks are ebooks, group projects are done via Docs (including Presentations), and of course, web browsing. She has a Windows laptop that she probably used twice this year for things she didn't know how to do on the Chromebook, and she hated it, because "it takes forever."

Clearly, a Chromebook isn't the right computer for everyone. Myself, I'm a heavy computer user, and I do a bunch of things the average person never does, but even then, I can run my business from a Chromebook with ease, and they are small and light and easy to take with you, and quick to bring up things in if you need to show a client something. I suspect most people buy them as secondary computers at first, but they probably find themselves using the Chromebook 75+% of the time, just because it's so easy and convenient. If you try one, you might easily be converted...

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh I'd want one for sure. :D It's just a matter of not being able to afford anymore gadgets for a (long) while.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I still think Chromebooks are fairly useless and ONLY function as a secondary device. Leave the real work to a PC.

For a PC at a $300 price point, here are the advantages that I can think of:

- Much, much faster processor. You're comparing ARM vs Core i3's.
- Ability to upgrade SSD or RAM.
- Near instant wake-up from sleep (who cares about start up times when you can just sleep or hibernate?)
- Large 500 GB storage vs 16 GB storage. I realize you can save stuff on the cloud, but if you don't have an internet connection, what then?
- x86 support for millions of applications.
- x64 support for faster applications.
- Touch screen interface with Windows 8.
- Just as light and portable.
- Nice brushed aluminum finish.
- Better speakers.
- Oh, and if all you want to do is use Chrome and Google Docs, you have that option as well.

For $50 more, it's a no brainer for me. I use my laptop as a mobile media device. I put all my Blu-Rays on it and move it into my living room or a friend's house, hook it up to an HD TV with an HDMI cable, and watch Blu-Rays. Just one of the many things you can't do with a Chromebook.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I still think Chromebooks are fairly useless and ONLY function as a secondary device. Leave the real work to a PC.

For a PC at a $300 price point, here are the advantages that I can think of:

The only problem with that is that every $300 PC laptop I've ever tried was AWFUL, and they certainly aren't fast. You need to get up into the $500 range before you can get something that's equivalent to a Chromebook in speed. And, yes, such a machine can do far more than a Chromebook, and for some people, those things are very important. But for many others, those are things they just don't do often enough to justify the extra expense.

You aren't wrong in picking the best machine for YOUR needs - you are absolutely right. Just realize that many people have different needs than you do, or may have other ways to fulfill those same needs. I edit audio and video, with lots of rendering. A Chromebook (or any laptop, really) is a poor choice for that, but I have a powerful desktop with multiple large displays for that. I also don't need to edit video "on the go", so the fact that a Chromebook can't do it (well) is irrelevant to me. But having a big, powerful desktop with a dozen TB of storage and 10 square feet of display area means that I don't need to replicate that just to write an invoice or do accounting work for a customer, or to send an email or check AC or G+.

It's all about the best tool for the job you actually need to get done.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The only problem with that is that every $300 PC laptop I've ever tried was AWFUL, and they certainly aren't fast. You need to get up into the $500 range before you can get something that's equivalent to a Chromebook in speed. And, yes, such a machine can do far more than a Chromebook, and for some people, those things are very important. But for many others, those are things they just don't do often enough to justify the extra expense.

You aren't wrong in picking the best machine for YOUR needs - you are absolutely right. Just realize that many people have different needs than you do, or may have other ways to fulfill those same needs. I edit audio and video, with lots of rendering. A Chromebook (or any laptop, really) is a poor choice for that, but I have a powerful desktop with multiple large displays for that. I also don't need to edit video "on the go", so the fact that a Chromebook can't do it (well) is irrelevant to me. But having a big, powerful desktop with a dozen TB of storage and 10 square feet of display area means that I don't need to replicate that just to write an invoice or do accounting work for a customer, or to send an email or check AC or G+.

It's all about the best tool for the job you actually need to get done.

This is completely wrong on so many levels.

Maybe $300 PCs from 5 years ago were awful, but today a $300 PC comes with a Core i3 processor. If you think Core i3's are slow, then your standards are way too high. A Core i3 would blow away anything ARM has to offer by a LONG shot.

You can get a laptop with a Core i5 for $500 these days, and Ivy Bridge and Haswell i5's are really fast.

Also, you claiming that you have to spend at least $500 to get the same speed of a Chromebook is laughable. You can buy a 32 GB SSD for $45 and pop it into any laptop and have the same I/O response time as a Chromebook. The only reason why Chromebooks are perceived as "fast" is because they have an SSD.

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Inform me if I miss anything since I haven't really looked into Chromebook, but I just don't see a compelling reason to getting it when you can get an Asus Transformer instead, that way you can run all your Android apps (does Chromebook work with all Android apps?), when you need to do extensive typing you just snap it to the removable keyboard. If you need great mouse control, you can connect a wired or wireless mouse. I just see a Transformer being much more versatile. Asus is probably going to release a phone that dock into a tablet-sized screen that dock into a keyboard.

Neither of those would do things advance things like Photoshop or advance editing though, if you're doing anything for work or professionally you still should get a good laptop.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I took a hard look at considering a chromebook but stopped dead in my tracks when I took into account how many x86 programs I actually use.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is completely wrong on so many levels.

Maybe $300 PCs from 5 years ago were awful, but today a $300 PC comes with a Core i3 processor. If you think Core i3's are slow, then your standards are way too high. A Core i3 would blow away anything ARM has to offer by a LONG shot.

You can get a laptop with a Core i5 for $500 these days, and Ivy Bridge and Haswell i5's are really fast.

Also, you claiming that you have to spend at least $500 to get the same speed of a Chromebook is laughable. You can buy a 32 GB SSD for $45 and pop it into any laptop and have the same I/O response time as a Chromebook. The only reason why Chromebooks are perceived as "fast" is because they have an SSD.

My wife has a $400 i3 Windows laptop. I have the Samsung ARM Chromebook. In actual use, doing the things they both can do, the Chromebook is faster. Yes, the hardware of the PC is faster, but it is also running a much more resource hungry OS. The hardware of a Chromebook doesn't need to be as fast as the hardware of a PC because the OS doesn't need the hardware.

I have a big, powerful $1,200 Asus gaming laptop and the Chromebook. I got the Chromebook because I needed a 2nd machine that was more portable for web browsing, word processing, etc. I've come to think of the Asus as the 2nd machine, and hours of use back that up. I use the Chromebook more.

As far as Chromebook vs. Transformer pad. The Chromebook is less expensive and has an OS built for mouse and keyboard input. I've never liked using Android with a mouse and keyboard. It feels awkward and you can tell the OS is not meant to be used that way.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy