Launchers

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
What is your launcher of choice?

I have been through quite a few, smart launcher, Action launcher, apex, nova, buzz, lightening, Kitkat launcher and so on. I prefer the light launchers some are to fiddly and just a headache to use and others are to bland and not offering great functionality.

So I now have 3 launchers and they are Smart Launcher I like this as it categories your apps and you can theme easly and change icons. That flower at start where you can hide and customise is fun and provides a great effect and is functional. Overall a great launcher.

Action Launcher - I like the swipe apps and your recent apps used is handy and it's light and very usable another great launcher..

But I have had my attention turned by aviate so far I am liking the layout and it's so far functional will stick with this for a while and see if it suites.

Apex-I like the options available and although similar to nova it's far more advanced in its free from allowing you to do many many things but icon size is a must for my preference and it just runs so smooth.

I could of went into more detail but I thought keep it basic and let the discussion do that lol.

So what is your preference & why?

Posted via Android Central App

sheffsteve1988

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I use nova prime only because it was the first one i got and i don't fancy paying for others just to try them put

sent from my note 2 rooted on 4.4 kitkat

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Nova is most certainly a very smooth launcher that said as I was limited to the free version I then swapped for dam can't remember been through that many of the free ones lol. Think it was then perhaps Regina which was OK from what I remember.

But my chosen three of my preference would be yes Nova as it's just that smooth, Apex as for the free version it offers great functionality, customisation and it's again smooth. Then there is this Aviate just got my code tonight as it's invite only right now but so far I like the layout and it's usability is great.

So many to go through on Google play and would also like to say the Kitkat launcher was also great but I tend to switch quite often and spend far to much time tinkering sad I know lol

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8215685)

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a few, and ended up staying with Nova. (Bought Prime on Sunday.) Like neonworm I find it smooth and fast.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is using Nova as was I but I'm all in with Aviate now. It's a totally different beast than any other launcher and I can't foresee being able to go back to a regular launcher

sheffsteve1988

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
According to their app on play store it simplifies your phone and isnt as customisable as other launchers

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Why is aviate better

It's honestly too hard to put into words because you have to install it and run it for a week or so to get a good grip on how they've broken the usual android launcher mold with this. Aviate has limited cosmetic customization (icon packs, and other conventional theme tweaks we're all used to on AOSP based launchers like Nova, Apex, etc.) But it's far richer for non cosmetic purposes such as how you actually set up your phone for home, work, commuting, morning and night time routines, etc. And you can make it look more like a true Google phone with built in functionality than anything any other devs are offering. Try to imagine if you could get a launcher that behaved like Google Now as an actual homescreen with live changes to your phone based on what you're doing and where you are at the time. Then take it a step above that. Very cool. Like I said, you have to use it for a week to really get a handle on how advanced this launcher is compared to everyone else. And advanced is really the right word for it. If I had to describe it, it would be to say It takes Android well beyond the regular launchers we're all used to using to a whole new level nobody else has thought of. I don't know what inspired the makers of Aviate but they're uncommonly talented for coming up with this.

As for performance, once again the talent shows. I haven't run into one single speed bump with it in the week I've been using it, and this is only beta. I'll never look back at traditional launchers again after this. Since Aviate is still in beta you can install it from Play Store but can't activate and use it until you get an invite code. There's currently so much demand for it that this could take you a week or so for them to send you one after you install it so I recommend joining their Google+ community and begging others for an invite code (every user gets 5 activation codes to share after their own is activated). Aviate is actually getting more buzz on G+ than Action launcher, and it's only in Beta. Took me a day to get my code that way. Remember when Go Launcher was all the rave in the early days of Android? Well this is the next Go.

To be honest I'm sick to death of Nova, Apex, and all the other AOSP based launchers because while great, they haven't been ground breaking for a long time now because they've stayed with the same ol' usual norms. So I branched out to the 3 new launchers that are trying to break out of the old norms - Action launcher, Smart Launcher, and Aviate - and Aviate won me over entirely. The other two are also really good and I would recommend all 3.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using the stock Nexus 5 launcher. On previous devices Nova Prime was my go to launcher of choice simply because of the smoothness and customizability.

sheffsteve1988

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
It's honestly too hard to put into words because you have to install it and run it for a week or so to get a good grip on how they've broken the usual android launcher mold with this. Aviate has limited cosmetic customization (icon packs, and other conventional theme tweaks we're all used to on AOSP based launchers like Nova, Apex, etc.) But it's far richer for non cosmetic purposes such as how you actually set up your phone for home, work, commuting, morning and night time routines, etc. And you can make it look more like a true Google phone with built in functionality than anything any other devs are offering. Try to imagine if you could get a launcher that behaved like Google Now as an actual homescreen with live changes to your phone based on what you're doing and where you are at the time. Then take it a step above that. Very cool. Like I said, you have to use it for a week to really get a handle on how advanced this launcher is compared to everyone else. And advanced is really the right word for it. If I had to describe it, it would be to say It takes Android well beyond the regular launchers we're all used to using to a whole new level nobody else has thought of. I don't know what inspired the makers of Aviate but they're uncommonly talented for coming up with this.

As for performance, once again the talent shows. I haven't run into one single speed bump with it in the week I've been using it, and this is only beta. I'll never look back at traditional launchers again after this. Since Aviate is still in beta you can install it from Play Store but can't activate and use it until you get an invite code. There's currently so much demand for it that this could take you a week or so for them to send you one after you install it so I recommend joining their Google+ community and begging others for an invite code (every user gets 5 activation codes to share after their own is activated). Aviate is actually getting more buzz on G+ than Action launcher, and it's only in Beta. Took me a day to get my code that way. Remember when Go Launcher was all the rave in the early days of Android? Well this is the next Go.

To be honest I'm sick to death of Nova, Apex, and all the other AOSP based launchers because while great, they haven't been ground breaking for a long time now because they've stayed with the same ol' usual norms. So I branched out to the 3 new launchers that are trying to break out of the old norms - Action launcher, Smart Launcher, and Aviate - and Aviate won me over entirely. The other two are also really good and I would recommend all 3.

Well am always up for trying something new and you have made it sound worth while giving a go so will try and get myself an invite :)

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is a launcher, and what does it do? I've only had two smartphones, my HTC Thunderbolt, and my current Note 2. So, can someone break it down for me?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is a launcher, and what does it do? I've only had two smartphones, my HTC Thunderbolt, and my current Note 2. So, can someone break it down for me?

A launcher is a User Interface. How you interact with the ROM and phone in general. Different launchers can offer more custom options than stock. I would suggest giving Nova a try. There is a free version and if you don't like it, you simply uninstall it and your stock one takes over.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Nova Launcher! i'm using free version for now but definetly gonna buy it!

rly smooth and customizable...also frequent updates are great!

sent from my Moto G <3

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't a fan of aviate.
Using GEL (nexus 5 stock launcher) as I like the simplicity. Aviate I found hogged my battery and GPS as it would do my settings per building at university I was in.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't a fan of aviate.
Using GEL (nexus 5 stock launcher) as I like the simplicity. Aviate I found hogged my battery and GPS as it would do my settings per building at university I was in.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.

Yeah, that's one thing about Aviate, if you use the location convenience features it has they use gps. I don't personally bother with that aspect of it unless I have it docked in my car. Gps always on uses battery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt