Recommend me a budget smartphone for my need

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I recently replaced my Asus Padfone 2 with Nexus 5. Best thing I've ever done. The only problem is, my Padfone was 64GB which was enough to keep all of my mp3s (which is almost 20GB), and Nexus 5 is limited to 32GB..

So now I'm looking for a simple smartphone with these criterias:
1. Has at least 32GB storage to store all my music.
2. Good sounding through mainstream earphones and decent sounding through studio headphones.
3. Preferably small, I usually carry 2 phones in the same pocket.
4. Has to be in CDMA network because otherwise, I'll just get myself an iPod.
5. Unfortunately budget is something I'm worried about.

So if anyone can think of a smartphone and suggest it here, that would be helpful :) thanks and have a good day

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently replaced my Asus Padfone 2 with Nexus 5. Best thing I've ever done. The only problem is, my Padfone was 64GB which was enough to keep all of my mp3s (which is almost 20GB), and Nexus 5 is limited to 32GB..

So now I'm looking for a simple smartphone with these criterias:
1. Has at least 32GB storage to store all my music.
2. Good sounding through mainstream earphones and decent sounding through studio headphones.
3. Preferably small, I usually carry 2 phones in the same pocket.
4. Has to be in CDMA network because otherwise, I'll just get myself an iPod.
5. Unfortunately budget is something I'm worried about.

So if anyone can think of a smartphone and suggest it here, that would be helpful :) thanks and have a good day

Well gsm phones really outweigh the number of CDMA phones. Do you prefer to get a brand name phone and does the phone have to have 64gb of internal storage or can it be 32gb with a micro sd card slot?

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well gsm phones really outweigh the number of CDMA phones. Do you prefer to get a brand name phone and does the phone have to have 64gb of internal storage or can it be 32gb with a micro sd card slot?

Yes I suppose that's true about GSM/CDMA phones, that's why I call for help.

I don't really have any brand preference, as long as it's android so I can sync my contacts from Gmail. MicroSD is certainly a feature, however with or without it, I'd like it to be at least 32GB.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes I suppose that's true about GSM/CDMA phones, that's why I call for help.

I don't really have any brand preference, as long as it's android so I can sync my contacts from Gmail. MicroSD is certainly a feature, however with or without it, I'd like it to be at least 32GB.

What is your budget?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Preferably under $300, I'd still love to hear suggestions above my budget mark if it's worth it.

For comparison: if you were on gsm, you could of gotten the Sony Xperia T: 1.5ghz snapdragon s4, 1gb ram, 13mp camera with Exmor R, 32gb internal storage with micro sd card storage, one killer phone...

Now for CDMA, here:
HTC One but no micro sd.

Samsung galaxy s3 with micro sd card slot.

Samsung galaxy s duos : only has 4gb of internal storage with support for up to 32gb micro sd card

It would be a snap to recommend phones if you were on gsm, but CDMA is a much tighter list. If none of these are your fancy, then I would get a separate MP3 player.

- - - Updated - - -

Nexus 5. Forego a night on the town and get a Nexus 5.

gp8.3

He does have a nexus 5, but it doesn't have enough storage for him.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
If you would just read the first paragraph of my first post, then you would have known that I already have a Nexus 5 as my main phone.

I told him that too. It's ok. He takes his time to try and help others. Sometimes when you speed read, you miss stuff. I do it all the time :p Respect for ambassadors!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
wow, that's a tough one D:
can't think of anything ><

sent from my Moto G <3

Exactly my point, especially for the things he wants and his budget. The nexus 5 is hard to beat. If he just used gsm! That would be a snap. The list I had above was all I could come up with.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The main problem with this is small budget and large storage built in are pretty much mutually exclusive, so you have to look at phones with micro SD slots. Then you run into the issue that most phones with micro SD card slots that are budget devices and small enough to put in your pocket with another phone are crap. Once you throw CDMA into the mix, it becomes almost impossible. Most budget devices are designed to be able to sell in other countries than the US, meaning they are GSM because CDMA is only widely used in the US and China, but the two countries CDMA networks are incompatible.

Based on your OP, if you absolutely refuse a GSM phone, I'd get the iPod. It will be a better experience than any sub $300 CDMA Android phone phone with an SD slot. If you are open to GSM networks, I'd grab whatever Blu Products phone best fits your needs (they have several models at different sizes, form factors and spec levels under $300) and throw in a t-mobile SIM with the $30/month unlimited text/datat 100 minute plan.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Is OP trolling?

Why does he need two phones?

If you're just using a second phone as a storage device for music, get an MP3 player.

If you really must have a "phone" because of the touch interface and applications and such, I suggest buying any old Android phone with a micro SD card slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Hydro...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3339915

I have two phones as well. Just to be able to switch up when/if I feel like it.

CM on OgPro

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Is OP trolling?

Why does he need two phones?

If you're just using a second phone as a storage device for music, get an MP3 player.

If you really must have a "phone" because of the touch interface and applications and such, I suggest buying any old Android phone with a micro SD card slot.

Amazon.com: Kyocera Hydro Prepaid Android Phone (Boost Mobile): Cell Phones & Accessories

He could use that phone as a backup. Not just for media. There are many uses for a secondary phone. I have a Motorola Atrix 2 just in case my main phone dies.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just get a Lumia 520 direct from MS store currently $59 @ MS store. Add 64 GB micro SD card for $35 at NewEgg. Best mp3 player for the money. GPS, blue tooth 4, full Nokia maps/drive, WiFi. A great way to get a look @ Windows phone plus it will work on ATT or To or the GSM MVNOs. Don't think you can beat this for approximately $100 total.

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Just get a Lumia 520 direct from MS store currently $59 @ MS store. Add 64 GB micro SD card for $35 at NewEgg. Best mp3 player for the money. GPS, blue tooth 4, full Nokia maps/drive, WiFi. A great way to get a look @ Windows phone plus it will work on ATT or To or the GSM MVNOs. Don't think you can beat this for approximately $100 total.

Posted via Android Central App

But it needs to be CDMA.

Sent from my HTC One XL using AC Forums mobile app

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can stretch your budget to $400 and find a Moto X code you could get a 32GB Verizon or Sprint version.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can stretch your budget to $400 and find a Moto X code you could get a 32GB Verizon or Sprint version.

He already has a 32 GB Nexus 5 and he says he needs more than 32 GB. So it either needs to come in 64GB or have an SD slot, the X has neither.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance