I hate big phones, but as soon as the Note 2 was released and I heard about the battery, I just had to buy it. It lasts me 16 hours a day or 18 hours if I try not use it so much. I'm out the house 7am to 6pm everyday, and this was the first phone I bought that I didn't have to TRY reserve battery, in order to make it through the day.

Sadly, after just a year of carrying this huge phone round everywhere (usually in my hand, it won't fit in my pocket), I have sort of had enough. As I said, it won't fit in my pocket, and if I put it in my bag I won't hear it. Carrying it around all the time isn't ideal, especially not in a big city, and when I have passes and tickets to get out/show at the same time. Also, as someone quite small, the phone looks HUGE in my hands, and against my head even worse. I have seen friends with iPhone's and S4 mini's and I'm jealous of their little single-handed-use and pocket fitting phones.

However, iPhone is on iOS (and expensive as hell) and I have heard the S4 mini battery only lasts 8 hours. The only requirements I really have are a 10 hour long-lasting battery and a memory card slot. Are there any phones out there like that or am I just going to have to deal with the big Note 2?
    12-24-2013 07:45 AM
    The Moto X isn't too big and have good battery life, no microSD, but there is a 32gb version. You can use the coupon code that expired tonight to get $150 off.

Unless you want to stick with Samsung for the rest of your life, I think most other manufacturers are going away with it. Although Sony still support it. Battery life depends on how you use the phone, how many of what you never clarify. The Moto X can last 24 hours of moderate use, but any phone can die quickly depending on how you use it.
    12-24-2013 08:00 AM
    Welcome to AC!

I think something like this is what you're going to have to look into.
    12-24-2013 08:03 AM
    There are costly phones like the Sony Xperia Compact. I love it - but cannot afford it.

I am looking for something affordable and basic features including a front camera.

Still looking. Let me know if you have zeroed on something
    03-22-2014 10:04 AM
    There are so many variables to battery life.

Screen size - the bigger the screen (esp high resolution ones) the more draw on your battery
    Screen brightness - kinda obvious but if your screen's brightness is constantly at 100%, it's going to draw more then a dim screen
    Signal strength - the weaker the signal, the harder a phone has to work to maintain connection
    Processor - A dual core processor that has to run at max capacity will put far more hurt on your battery then a quad core that's running at just under half. Partly due to heat buildup in the device
    Temp - a phone that can stay cool will have better battery life then a phone that's running hot, or running in a hot environment.
    Connection - apps that are constantly pinging for location and data (like social media and weather apps) will also put a hurt on battery life. If you don't need them, these kinds of apps can be set to ping less often.
    Other - I don't use bluetooth or NFC. I turn these off. Location I have set to use network only (GPS is off unless I'm doing something that requires precise location).

2 identical phones with 2 different users can and will have different results. One might say that battery lasts "forever" because they're not doing a lot with it. The other user might say the battery life sucks because they're using the phone almost to it's maximum capacity, with all features turned on, and weather and social media apps pinging for refreshed data every 15 minutes.

For you, I'd take a close look at the MotoX, heck maybe even the MotoG would work for you. Sadly, none of us can tell you what's best for you. Best thing is to read a ton of reviews (both pro reviews and review from average consumers) to find out what devices fit your usage patterns
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-22-2014 11:48 AM
    If having a smartphone with long battery life is most important, you might want to look at some budget phones. I bought my daughter a Samsung Dart for $50 outright. The phone has a tiny screen and ran Froyo but it lasted days on s single charge.
    Granted these phones are subpar to devices compared to high end phones especially compared to the note 2 but at least you have a smartphone that last days on a charge.

Another option is to buy batter extenders on a high end phone. When I had the Note 2 the battery did not last long enough for me, so I ended buying an extender. I also bought an extra battery and would switch it out when it would get to the red.
    Since the extra battery did not add bulk to the phone and was so small I didn't notice the extra weight, I used that method for my daily activities. I would use the extender on road trips or weekend when I would not have easy access to a charger.
    03-22-2014 12:02 PM
    My Samsung Galaxy victory got near 10 hours screen on time. My note 3 can never match the battery life.

The Galaxy victory is a 4" wvga phone with a snapdragon s4 and a 2100 mAh battery. Pretty low end specs but great battery life. I used it only on wifi though.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    03-22-2014 12:20 PM
    Welcome to Android Central, I've done extensive RESEARCH on just about every cell/smartphone that "caught my eye". It's just not fair how many smartphones are out there....I want them ALL....SMILE
    _X_ likes this.
    03-22-2014 12:44 PM