Do we really need battery saver apps?

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Do we really need battery saver apps for android ? I think even they take some battery juice for them to work right? Things like Battery Doctor and Due Battery saver only instruct us to close some apps to features like wifi gprs to save battery right?

If you are not rooted, they are useless right? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that the difference is negligible and they generally do more harm than good to usability, but some people swear by them. There probably are useful aspects that just aren't balanced out for me which they appreciate more.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I say no. I think it's better and more effective to manage your apps efficiently by doing stuff like reducing or turning automatic refreshing off, avoiding shoddy apps, keeping haptic feedback and touch sounds off and being conscious of brightness levels.

Battery life on Android is mostly all about deep sleep. Trying to put a bandaid over poorly managed apps won't fix that, arguably with the exception of root + an app like greenify and freezing out everything that you aren't using.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't use a battery monitor app. My opinion is that you know your device best and what you need to close for it to have great battery life. Android has a good built in task manager and will kill processes/services no longer needed.

That's not to say battery saving apps are a waste. Most do offer useful information to pinpoint what could be causing battery drain, such as a rogue app, or provide actual battery savings if used right.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is that the difference is negligible and they generally do more harm than good to usability, but some people swear by them. There probably are useful aspects that just aren't balanced out for me which they appreciate more.

Exactly. It seemed like when I had a battery saver app on my Optimus G, it didn't do anything whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I use battery defender and it helps me by shutting of wireless networks when the screen is off.

Posted Via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App