01-04-2014 08:43 PM
69 123
tools
    i think Motorola will set a new trend with the Moto G and we gonna have better low-ends!

specially with Kitkat being optimized for as low as 512Mb!

sent from my Moto G <3
    01-02-2014 02:44 PM
    If it goes to 4.7-5.0, I believe that thousands of Android owners will switch. The screen size is a major reason that a lot of people don't use iPhones.
    Might have been true a few years ago. Nowadays...not so much. I think all a larger screen would do is cannibalize the existing iOS user base.

It might prevent some existing iOS users from switching to Android (which would still be a good thing for Apple), but it won't make any Android users switch to iOS IMO. iOS simply doesn't have anything to offer Android users anymore. It would feel like a downgrade to go to iOS.

I am skeptical that we will actually see a larger iPhone at all.

1) It would make Apple look hypocritical, since they have said before that the current size is the ideal size.

2) It would cause problems with their app formatting across iPhones. They would need to increase the resolution to maintain the Retina level PPI on a larger display. They snuck around this on the 5 by making it longer instead of wider (so the pixel width was the same), but that trick won't work again.

3) A larger display might also introduce chaos where iPhone peripherals are concerned. Up till now they have all been the same general size (or at least the same general width).

I don't think a larger iPhone would be the magic bullet that a lot of iPeople think it would be. If anything, I think the iPhone's current size works in it's favor in a way. If you are on Android, there are not a lot of phones that small that still have high end specs. At the moment I can't even think of one. So if you are someone who wants a small phone, the iPhone will be on your short list.
    01-02-2014 03:29 PM
    I predict that smart watches will continue to crash and burn and the market will dry up.
    01-02-2014 03:33 PM
    Might have been true a few years ago. Nowadays...not so much. I think all a larger screen would do is cannibalize the existing iOS user base.

It might prevent some existing iOS users from switching to Android (which would still be a good thing for Apple), but it won't make any Android users switch to iOS IMO. iOS simply doesn't have anything to offer Android users anymore. It would feel like a downgrade to go to iOS.

I am skeptical that we will actually see a larger iPhone at all.

1) It would make Apple look hypocritical, since they have said before that the current size is the ideal size.

2) It would cause problems with their app formatting across iPhones. They would need to increase the resolution to maintain the Retina level PPI on a larger display. They snuck around this on the 5 by making it longer instead of wider (so the pixel width was the same), but that trick won't work again.

3) A larger display might also introduce chaos where iPhone peripherals are concerned. Up till now they have all been the same general size (or at least the same general width).

I don't think a larger iPhone would be the magic bullet that a lot of iPeople think it would be. If anything, I think the iPhone's current size works in it's favor in a way. If you are on Android, there are not a lot of phones that small that still have high end specs. At the moment I can't even think of one. So if you are someone who wants a small phone, the iPhone will be on your short list.
    Already more switch from Android to iOS than vice-versa, so I will stick with my prediction, since a bigger screen would eliminate a major issue that has kept people from switching.
    And it definitely is not a downgrade, as both are great OS's.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    01-02-2014 03:42 PM
    Already more switch from Android to iOS than vice-versa
    It doesn't seem to be making a dent in their marketshare. Android has swallowed the global market whole, and passed up iOS in the US by a wide margin as well, despite the fact that iOS had a huge head start.

I think the people that care about screen size enough to switch platforms is a tiny minority. I don't think that was a major appeal of Android over iOS. If it was, Windows Phone and even Blackberry would have been doing a lot better.

And it definitely is not a downgrade, as both are great OS's.
    There is nothing iOS does that Android cannot also do. The reverse is not true. Android is obviously more feature rich than iOS.

I've seen former iOS users say as much in the forums on here many times.
    01-02-2014 04:38 PM
    I predict that smart watches will continue to crash and burn and the market will dry up.
    I predict the exact opposite if we see quality smartwatches appear under $50 in the US.
    01-02-2014 04:39 PM
    It doesn't seem to be making a dent in their marketshare. Android has swallowed the global market whole, and passed up iOS in the US by a wide margin as well, despite the fact that iOS had a huge head start.
    I agree about the world share, but iOS's U.S. marketshare has been steadily increasing for over a year, and Android has seen a slight decrease.

I think the people that care about screen size enough to switch platforms is a tiny minority. I don't think that was a major appeal of Android over iOS. If it was, Windows Phone and even Blackberry would have been doing a lot better.
    It is much more than a tiny minority, IMO. As far as BB and WP, they don't have the total package like iOS does, so a larger screen is not a factor when it comes to them.
    And one major thing that is overlooked is Apple's superb customer service. It is second to none.
    BTW, I say all this while using a Droid Maxx!
    01-02-2014 04:55 PM
    I agree about the world share, but iOS's U.S. marketshare has been steadily increasing for over a year, and Android has seen a slight decrease.
    iOS used to be way way ahead of Android. It will take a lot to even catch up, nevermind regain their lead.

And keep in mind this was all gained at a time when iOS was much farther ahead of Android in apps and UI smoothness. iOS's lead in those areas has eroded a great deal since ICS. And that was really the only thing iOS had going for it.

It is much more than a tiny minority, IMO.
    Not from what I have seen. I don't know a single person who switched to Android just because of the larger displays. And I know dozens of Android users.

The only people I have ever seen who claim to have switched mostly because of the display size are phone nerds on forums. Not saying they don't count, but I do think they are a tiny minority.

And one major thing that is overlooked is Apple's superb customer service. It is second to none.
    And you pay for it. Apple is expensive in every way.
    01-02-2014 05:44 PM
    Not from what I have seen. I don't know a single person who switched to Android just because of the larger displays. And I know dozens of Android users.

The only people I have ever seen who claim to have switched mostly because of the display size are phone nerds on forums. Not saying they don't count, but I do think they are a tiny minority.
    I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion here.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 cracks 10 million sales barrier in just two months

Phablets like the Note 3 wouldn't sell so well if "phone nerds on forums" were a minority.

There's a reason why the iPhone grew from 3.5 inches to 4.0 inches - because people wanted a larger screen.
    01-02-2014 05:52 PM
    And you pay for it. Apple is expensive in every way.
    More expensive than a flagship Android in what way? Same price on-contract, and very close off-contract.

And that was really the only thing iOS had going for it.
    Do you really believe that? Lol.
    01-02-2014 05:57 PM
    More expensive than a flagship Android in what way? Same price on-contract, and very close off-contract.
    Every way. Support, repair, peripherals. That stupid lightning cord costs a fortune. Bonus: not backwards compatible either.

Do you really believe that? Lol.
    What else is there?

Apple is coasting on inertia from their image. There is no substance. They are not even hiding their attempts to copy Android anymore.
    01-02-2014 06:38 PM
    There's a reason why the iPhone grew from 3.5 inches to 4.0 inches - because people wanted a larger screen.
    It did not really grow. It just got longer. PPI the same. Still 640p.

That is what we can expect from Apple. They will not take real risks for fear of pissing off their existing users. IMO, a larger display is too big a risk for them.
    01-02-2014 06:44 PM
    Every way. Support, repair, peripherals. That stupid lightning cord costs a fortune. Bonus: not backwards compatible either.

What else is there?

Apple is coasting on inertia from their image. There is no substance. They are not even hiding their attempts to copy Android anymore.
    At least they have support and repair.
    Copy Android? Lol! Ever heard of Samesung? Copying is what put them on the map.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    01-02-2014 06:57 PM
    At least they have support and repair.
    Not worth the compromise for me. And apparently for most other people as well.

Copy Android?

Lol! Ever heard of Samesung? Copying is what put them on the map.
    Because Apple invented everything first, right?
    01-02-2014 11:52 PM
    It did not really grow. It just got longer. PPI the same. Still 640p.

That is what we can expect from Apple. They will not take real risks for fear of pissing off their existing users. IMO, a larger display is too big a risk for them.
    Are you listening to yourself? "It did not really grow. It just got longer."

By definition, getting longer means it got bigger. Do we really need to argue about what constitutes as getting bigger?

PPI stayed the same because Apple believes any pixel count greater than what our eyes can perceive is useless, which I'd have to agree with.
    01-03-2014 11:08 AM
    Are you listening to yourself? "It did not really grow. It just got longer." By definition, getting longer means it got bigger.
    Apple would agree with you. Most of us saw it for the BS it really way. It's a 640p display still. Nothing significant changed.

PPI stayed the same because Apple believes any pixel count greater than what our eyes can perceive is useless, which I'd have to agree with.
    The "why" is irrelevant IMO. I was simply demonstrating why I think Apple will not really change anything. I have no doubt Apple will find new excuses in 2014 to justify why their product looks basically the same as last years product. They have to in order to justify charging you a premium for the same product you already own with minor improvements.
    01-03-2014 12:52 PM
    Apple would agree with you. Most of us saw it for the BS it really way. It's a 640p display still. Nothing significant changed.
    And it is one of the best displays on any smartphone for clarity, color reproduction, etc.

The "why" is irrelevant IMO. I was simply demonstrating why I think Apple will not really change anything. I have no doubt Apple will find new excuses in 2014 to justify why their product looks basically the same as last years product. They have to in order to justify charging you a premium for the same product you already own with minor improvements.
    You mean like the S3 to S4?

It amazes me that iPhones account for more than half of all smartphone sales on each U.S. carrier, even with hundreds of Android phones available.
    01-03-2014 02:22 PM
    To be precise, the amount of pixels increased from 960x640 to 1136x640. The physical display also increased from 3.5 to 4.0 inches. Whether or not that's "significant" is subjective, but the fact is the display increased in size because consumers wanted a bigger display.
    01-03-2014 02:29 PM
    I predict the exact opposite if we see quality smartwatches appear under $50 in the US.
    I agree. That may take a few years, but I think we are going to see a ton of smart watches and they get cheaper, as we are seeing with tablets and seemingly every manufacturer putting out a quality tablet for cheap, I mean look at the new polaroid tablets they just announced.
    01-03-2014 02:33 PM
    And it is one of the best displays on any smartphone for clarity, color reproduction, etc.

It amazes me that iPhones account for more than half of all smartphone sales on each U.S. carrier, even with hundreds of Android phones available.
    I think the reason iPhones account for so much is because there only is 1 high end iPhone. There are like you said hundreds of androids, and yet still samsung is crushing with all that competition. Apple has no competition on IOS because they are the only ones who make products that run IOS.
    01-03-2014 02:34 PM
    I think the reason iPhones account for so much is because there only is 1 high end iPhone. There are like you said hundreds of androids, and yet still samsung is crushing with all that competition. Apple has no competition on IOS because they are the only ones who make products that run IOS.
    But still, all Androids COMBINED can't top the iPhone sales on the carriers. That is an amazing stat for Apple.
    01-03-2014 02:39 PM
    It all comes down to what works best for each person, regardless of OS. For some it is iOS, some Android, and some to a lesser extent BB and WP8.
    01-03-2014 02:46 PM
    I totally disagree. Even mid range Android phones are better now.

Thats a Samsung criticism, not an Android criticism. My Nexus 5 is significantly superior to my Nexus 4 in every way.

And it doesn't Amaze you that most people in the US own Android phones despite the fact that Apple had a massive head start here?
    01-03-2014 02:58 PM
    But still, all Androids COMBINED can't top the iPhone sales on the carriers.
    ...in the US...

And Android has already done it. There was a time when way more people bought iPhones than Android phones...what happened?
    01-03-2014 03:01 PM
    It all comes down to what works best for each person, regardless of OS. For some it is iOS, some Android
    Not "some", but "most". For most it is Android.

Most smartphones sold in the US are Android phones. Looks like tablets are gonna go the same way.
    01-03-2014 03:02 PM
69 123