Make Your Mobile Predictions for 2014

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
In the tablet world, Asus will come out with a tablet-laptop hybrid that dual boots with both Windows 8.1 and Android. This single tablet-laptop hybrid will dominate sales as consumers realize they can have both the productivity of Windows and the consumption of Android in one device.

More people start to go off-contract with phones like the Moto G and Nexus 5, thus starting the decline of the 2-year contract iron grip that phone companies hold over America.

Windows RT will finally die.

The iPhone will continue to sell well.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree with half of this. I think Apple will release a bigger screen iPhone, but I do not think a ton of Androd users will jump ship. There will be some for sure, just not a ton. My perdiction is that a big screen iPhone would hurt Samsung more than anyone else because I feel the S4 is the phone most people who want an iPhone with a bigger screen would buy.

A ton is 2000 people.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A ton is 2000 people.

Posted via Android Central App

Technically, a ton is 2000 lbs. worth of people. Given the average weight of American's is 179.7 lbs (194.7 lbs for males, 164.7 for females, roughly a 50/50 population split), a ton of people would actually only be between 11 and 12 individuals. So I guess a ton of people will leave Android.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
From now until the start of CES, make your predictions about mobile in 2014. Then let's look at this thread a year later. :)

The iPhone 6 will be revolutionary, adding an additional row of icons and increasing the display size to an astonishing 4.2 inches.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 6 will be revolutionary, adding an additional row of icons and increasing the display size to an astonishing 4.2 inches.

If it goes to 4.7-5.0, I believe that thousands of Android owners will switch. The screen size is a major reason that a lot of people don't use iPhones.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
i think Motorola will set a new trend with the Moto G and we gonna have better low-ends!

specially with Kitkat being optimized for as low as 512Mb!

sent from my Moto G <3

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If it goes to 4.7-5.0, I believe that thousands of Android owners will switch. The screen size is a major reason that a lot of people don't use iPhones.
Might have been true a few years ago. Nowadays...not so much. I think all a larger screen would do is cannibalize the existing iOS user base.

It might prevent some existing iOS users from switching to Android (which would still be a good thing for Apple), but it won't make any Android users switch to iOS IMO. iOS simply doesn't have anything to offer Android users anymore. It would feel like a downgrade to go to iOS.

I am skeptical that we will actually see a larger iPhone at all.

1) It would make Apple look hypocritical, since they have said before that the current size is the ideal size.

2) It would cause problems with their app formatting across iPhones. They would need to increase the resolution to maintain the Retina level PPI on a larger display. They snuck around this on the 5 by making it longer instead of wider (so the pixel width was the same), but that trick won't work again.

3) A larger display might also introduce chaos where iPhone peripherals are concerned. Up till now they have all been the same general size (or at least the same general width).

I don't think a larger iPhone would be the magic bullet that a lot of iPeople think it would be. If anything, I think the iPhone's current size works in it's favor in a way. If you are on Android, there are not a lot of phones that small that still have high end specs. At the moment I can't even think of one. So if you are someone who wants a small phone, the iPhone will be on your short list.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Might have been true a few years ago. Nowadays...not so much. I think all a larger screen would do is cannibalize the existing iOS user base.

It might prevent some existing iOS users from switching to Android (which would still be a good thing for Apple), but it won't make any Android users switch to iOS IMO. iOS simply doesn't have anything to offer Android users anymore. It would feel like a downgrade to go to iOS.

I am skeptical that we will actually see a larger iPhone at all.

1) It would make Apple look hypocritical, since they have said before that the current size is the ideal size.

2) It would cause problems with their app formatting across iPhones. They would need to increase the resolution to maintain the Retina level PPI on a larger display. They snuck around this on the 5 by making it longer instead of wider (so the pixel width was the same), but that trick won't work again.

3) A larger display might also introduce chaos where iPhone peripherals are concerned. Up till now they have all been the same general size (or at least the same general width).

I don't think a larger iPhone would be the magic bullet that a lot of iPeople think it would be. If anything, I think the iPhone's current size works in it's favor in a way. If you are on Android, there are not a lot of phones that small that still have high end specs. At the moment I can't even think of one. So if you are someone who wants a small phone, the iPhone will be on your short list.

Already more switch from Android to iOS than vice-versa, so I will stick with my prediction, since a bigger screen would eliminate a major issue that has kept people from switching.
And it definitely is not a downgrade, as both are great OS's.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Already more switch from Android to iOS than vice-versa
It doesn't seem to be making a dent in their marketshare. Android has swallowed the global market whole, and passed up iOS in the US by a wide margin as well, despite the fact that iOS had a huge head start.

I think the people that care about screen size enough to switch platforms is a tiny minority. I don't think that was a major appeal of Android over iOS. If it was, Windows Phone and even Blackberry would have been doing a lot better.

And it definitely is not a downgrade, as both are great OS's.
There is nothing iOS does that Android cannot also do. The reverse is not true. Android is obviously more feature rich than iOS.

I've seen former iOS users say as much in the forums on here many times.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't seem to be making a dent in their marketshare. Android has swallowed the global market whole, and passed up iOS in the US by a wide margin as well, despite the fact that iOS had a huge head start.

I agree about the world share, but iOS's U.S. marketshare has been steadily increasing for over a year, and Android has seen a slight decrease.

I think the people that care about screen size enough to switch platforms is a tiny minority. I don't think that was a major appeal of Android over iOS. If it was, Windows Phone and even Blackberry would have been doing a lot better.

It is much more than a tiny minority, IMO. As far as BB and WP, they don't have the total package like iOS does, so a larger screen is not a factor when it comes to them.
And one major thing that is overlooked is Apple's superb customer service. It is second to none.
BTW, I say all this while using a Droid Maxx! :)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree about the world share, but iOS's U.S. marketshare has been steadily increasing for over a year, and Android has seen a slight decrease.
iOS used to be way way ahead of Android. It will take a lot to even catch up, nevermind regain their lead.

And keep in mind this was all gained at a time when iOS was much farther ahead of Android in apps and UI smoothness. iOS's lead in those areas has eroded a great deal since ICS. And that was really the only thing iOS had going for it.

It is much more than a tiny minority, IMO.
Not from what I have seen. I don't know a single person who switched to Android just because of the larger displays. And I know dozens of Android users.

The only people I have ever seen who claim to have switched mostly because of the display size are phone nerds on forums. Not saying they don't count, but I do think they are a tiny minority.

And one major thing that is overlooked is Apple's superb customer service. It is second to none.
And you pay for it. Apple is expensive in every way.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Not from what I have seen. I don't know a single person who switched to Android just because of the larger displays. And I know dozens of Android users.

The only people I have ever seen who claim to have switched mostly because of the display size are phone nerds on forums. Not saying they don't count, but I do think they are a tiny minority.

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion here.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 cracks 10 million sales barrier in just two months

Phablets like the Note 3 wouldn't sell so well if "phone nerds on forums" were a minority.

There's a reason why the iPhone grew from 3.5 inches to 4.0 inches - because people wanted a larger screen.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
More expensive than a flagship Android in what way? Same price on-contract, and very close off-contract.
Every way. Support, repair, peripherals. That stupid lightning cord costs a fortune. Bonus: not backwards compatible either.

Do you really believe that? Lol.
What else is there?

Apple is coasting on inertia from their image. There is no substance. They are not even hiding their attempts to copy Android anymore.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
There's a reason why the iPhone grew from 3.5 inches to 4.0 inches - because people wanted a larger screen.
It did not really grow. It just got longer. PPI the same. Still 640p.

That is what we can expect from Apple. They will not take real risks for fear of pissing off their existing users. IMO, a larger display is too big a risk for them.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Every way. Support, repair, peripherals. That stupid lightning cord costs a fortune. Bonus: not backwards compatible either.

What else is there?

Apple is coasting on inertia from their image. There is no substance. They are not even hiding their attempts to copy Android anymore.

At least they have support and repair.
Copy Android? Lol! Ever heard of Samesung? Copying is what put them on the map.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
At least they have support and repair.
Not worth the compromise for me. And apparently for most other people as well.

Copy Android?
ios-7-has-become-android-512x681.png

Lol! Ever heard of Samesung? Copying is what put them on the map.
Because Apple invented everything first, right?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It did not really grow. It just got longer. PPI the same. Still 640p.

That is what we can expect from Apple. They will not take real risks for fear of pissing off their existing users. IMO, a larger display is too big a risk for them.

Are you listening to yourself? "It did not really grow. It just got longer."

By definition, getting longer means it got bigger. Do we really need to argue about what constitutes as getting bigger?

PPI stayed the same because Apple believes any pixel count greater than what our eyes can perceive is useless, which I'd have to agree with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallory Knocks