Making the switch from iPad Mini to Android..help me pick a 7 inch tablet please =)

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
So let me premise this question by saying i used to be a huge Android fan for tablets (still use it for phones) but for the last few years have stuck to iPads since the build quality of most Android tablets is...poor on a good day by comparison. However i miss Android enough that i gave the iPad mini to my wife and now find myself looking for a replacement Tablet. I have a few requirements/Likes/Dislikes etc and i'm hoping someone can help me find something to suit me to replace my old iPad mini.

Build quality is important to me...anything by ASUS is out Especially the Nexus 7 2012/2013 models...i have never seen so many complaints about one tablet in my life...and i myself tried the 2012 model at one point and after THREE returns to screen life i gave up. The newest model has just as many complaints from my research but for other issues (inaccurate touchscreen,ghost touches,over heating,screen not responsive after too much gaming IE heat..etc etc) So while i realize this tablet is THE default recommendation by most in the 7 inch form i would ask it to be excluded from this conversation. I would sooner trust a "recovering alcoholic" with an open bottle of Rum before i would trust another ASUS product of any sort.

Screen Brightness is important as are viewing angles (Resolution is not as big of a factor with me i do not see the need for Retina or higher displays on a 7 inch device)

Android Jelly bean or KIt Kat is required.

I do not do a TON of gaming so the video chipset is not terribly important 90% of the games i DO play are ancient emulators. But the Processor/Ram are extremely important as i do not want ANY lag doing general tasks (I remember how horrid the Samsung tab 7 inch 2.0 was about performance and stutter when i had one for a brief period)

Budget wise i am open however less is more after having had bought a PS4 and new phone recently the wife is already a bit upset :p

I will not consider Used/Refurbished period.

Would prefer to avoid Tegra Video chipsets as they consistently seem to be a heat issue nor do i need that sort of video power

Battery wise i would like something close to if not better than the iPad mini battery life was.

I might consider 8 inch tablets for the right one but nothing bigger...10 inch tablets to me feel like someone broke off an LCD monitor and carries it around..7 inch is really my sweet spot.

I'd like to buy this tablet within 1-2 weeks as i find myself lost without one honestly.

Would prefer the tablet be available in a brick and mortar store so i can see/use it before purchasing it though not a requirement.

Thank you all so much for your help in my search. Happy new Year!

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 2013 model is what i have. although it is my first tablet. I love it. Battery life is great after the first few charges. Never had a problem with the display, or ghost touches. And every touch i make it does what i intend it to do. The only complaint i have is the camera, not so well indoors because it is missing the flash.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and it still works great. Zero complaints. Build quality is top notch, and I love the grippy back. It fits perfectly in my hands.

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
As I said to the earlier poster I appreciate the fact you enjoy yours but I find the build quality horrible. And thus for myself it is the one I will not consider.

Cheers

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So let me premise this question by saying i used to be a huge Android fan for tablets (still use it for phones) but for the last few years have stuck to iPads since the build quality of most Android tablets is...poor on a good day by comparison. However i miss Android enough that i gave the iPad mini to my wife and now find myself looking for a replacement Tablet. I have a few requirements/Likes/Dislikes etc and i'm hoping someone can help me find something to suit me to replace my old iPad mini.
The Nexus 7 is as good as it gets for Android. At least at the moment. If that is not sufficient, you'd probably need to grab that iPad back.

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Id really hate to have to upgrade to the mini retina as I hate buying for two ecosystems..is the shoddy build of the nexus 7 truly the best for quality right now? Even the fire HD Trumped the nexus 7 2012 in quality (not specs I know) ..surely their is a better option even if I take a small spec hit rather than deal with ASUS awful support/build/huge amount of users online complaining of the exact same issues that go unaddressed. Anyone have any suggestions NOT involving the nexus?

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned being willing to go to 8 inches. Have you considered the LG gpad 8.3? You may be able to find one in a brick and mortar store to look at. If you're stateside there's also a gpe if Google Android is your thing though in the review Andrew noted that the viewing angles were solid. The nexus 7 is going to be everyone's default position due to the value proposition. The only noticeable 7 inch slates that run android in a serviceable capacity stateside that come to mind are the Dell tablet, the tegra note 7,the nexus, and the Samsung tab 7. I don't know about the build quality of the Dell but if build quality is going to match apple I don't think you'll find it in a 7 inch tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Id really hate to have to upgrade to the mini retina as I hate buying for two ecosystems..is the shoddy build of the nexus 7 truly the best for quality right now? Even the fire HD Trumped the nexus 7 2012 in quality (not specs I know) ..surely their is a better option even if I take a small spec hit rather than deal with ASUS awful support/build/huge amount of users online complaining of the exact same issues that go unaddressed. Anyone have any suggestions NOT involving the nexus?
Here's the problem with a Kindle Fire. Its not really an Android tablet. It is a content delivery device for Amazon. You can't really treat it like a real Android tablet.

Also, it's not just about the build quality. It's also about support and the user experience. The Nexus 7 delivers the best of both so far. There's really nothing else out there that is better. At least not for Android.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have and love the Nexus 7 (2013). That said, the only reason I got it was because the Tegra Note was sold out at New Egg and the HP Slate 7 Extreme (a rebadged Tegra Note) are both sold out. The Tegra Note would be my first choice for a small Android tablet.

Posted via Android Central App

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
As I said to the earlier poster I appreciate the fact you enjoy yours but I find the build quality horrible. And thus for myself it is the one I will not consider.

Cheers

you can't come to the internet and base results on what you read. If that is the case no device would ever be sold. Not everyone is happy with everything. The nexus is the best tablet on the market in the case of chasis build. "shoddy as you put it would be along the lines of the pure plastic tab 3.

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 2013 model is what i have. although it is my first tablet. I love it. Battery life is great after the first few charges. Never had a problem with the display, or ghost touches. And every touch i make it does what i intend it to do. The only complaint i have is the camera, not so well indoors because it is missing the flash.

I never saw a tablet with a flash. Few people use their tablet as a camera and they usually have a phone in their pocket with a better camera (with a flash) anyway. So that's not a shortcoming of the N7. I have one too and highly recommend it. Using it now to post this reply. Most sources seem to agree that the N7 is the best small tablet you can buy. Kindle Fire might have marginally better hardware, but is hopelessly crippled by their proprietary OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The LG pad most definitely looks promising will be checking that out at a store soon,as per the nexus 7 ASUS is one of the lowest quality hardware brands I have ever seen bar none...I had personal experience with the 2012 model and it was a joke,I have also seen in person some of the touchscreen issues on the 2013 model..and while I'm sure it doesn't effect every person and yes people on the Internet. Tend to be negative when you see the same complaints tens of thousands of times on multiple forums and websites including credible ones such as XDA than truly its not being imagined. Moving the NEXUS line to ASUS was googles biggest mistake in a long LONG time in my opinion. The LG was a great suggestion will see it in person soon thanks. As far as the Tegra note any heat benchmarks on that anywhere? Tegra. Chips always seek to run infamously hot. Other suggestions still welcomed thank you all for the help thus far.

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
P.p.s I'm aware of the fire os and how it works...but as a last resort I would have taken it over the shoddy quality of ASUS. I'm happy a fee alternatives are being mentioned I was unaware of.

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll add that the LG G Pad is really nice. Some people have had issues with the screen, but I guess I'm lucky because mine looks great. I have installed the Mahdi KitKat ROM and it just absolutely flies and has tons of customization built in. Also, it has an aluminum back which may be important if you're accustomed to the feel of the iPad. The only downside I've seen so far is the lack of accessories. But I'm sure that will improve when more people start buying, which is why I need you to buy this haha

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Cheers

That's a shame for you, because I find the build quality to be superb.

It's 1 1/2 years old and the battery still lasts all day long. No dead pixels. No backlight bleeding. Fit and finish is still superb. Not a single scratch on the screen. It performs just as fluidly and responsive as the day I bought it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
P.p.s I'm aware of the fire os and how it works...but as a last resort I would have taken it over the shoddy quality of ASUS. I'm happy a fee alternatives are being mentioned I was unaware of.
The only way I could be happy with the Kindle is by ROMing is. That OS is just awful. It's almost like using an iOS device, minus the peripherals, support, and app store. If you are going to neuter the OS I don't see the point of going to Android.

I have freinds with Nexus tablets...they are some of the best build-quality tablets I have seen on any Android device. Certainly better than my sister's Samsung tablets.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
OP, what are you looking for in an answer?

10" tablets are too big for you - eliminates Samsung tab 3.0 10" and Sony's line.

7" is your so called sweet spot - but due to "poor build" quality you take out the Nexus 7. As well Samsung is too laggy, meaning the Tab 3 7.0 won't satisfy your wants.

There is the 8" Tab 3 but again it is Samsung so it will be laggy which takes it out of the equation.

You don't really have a lot of options outside of those three key players. Although some would argue with mentioning Sony in the same breath as Samsung and Nexus when it comes to the top players in the Android tablet market.

I am in the same boat as you, in which I am looking for an Android tablet however I am trying to keep my options open. I am looking for a minimum of 32 gb and with the Nexus 7 in limited quantities where I live, I am leaning towards the 8" Samsung Tab 3.0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol