Need to Get a new Phone - Moto x or HTC One or wait/hope for Sony Xperia Z1s

hondaf17

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I am a longtime Blackberry user. Love my Blackberry and am only giving it up because I have to (my company is dropping support on March 1). I'm currently on Verizon but would like to switch to ATT. I have not been impressed with Verizon's network and ATT off-contract is much cheaper. I use my phone for A LOT of e-mail. I don't need a ton of apps (I've been perfectly fine on BB) and I do not want a giant phone or screen. I'm not the type of person to watch videos on my phone. I want a messaging device that works with a few benefits such as GPS/traffic, mobile banking, camera, etc.

My company is giving me $300 to purchase a new phone. Here are my ideas/options:

1) Purchase a 32GB Moto X from Moto Maker for $450. Get the "GSM Unlocked" version (works on both T-Mobile and ATT). This costs me $150 out of pocket (thanks to $300 reimbursement). With ATT I can get 300 MB and unlimited talk, text for $45 per month with no annual contract. I save $15 / month on no contract so I make up the extra $150 I spent on the phone in 10 months.

2) Verizon has the HTC One on a month to month contract for $450. I'd ask ATT to price match so same thing as above.

3) Wait for hopefully good news that the Sony Xperia Z1s will be available in the US market soon. There have been lots of rumors since November but I'm sick of the rumors and no concrete news.

What do you think of my options? Any opinions on Moto X vs HTC One? I know the camera on the HTC One is superior but that doesn't concern me as for special events I bring a nice point and shoot real camera with me anyway. Am I correct the "GSM Unlocked" is the correct one to buy? Why would I get a specific ATT branded one? I'd rather have it unlocked for no branding and potential resale purposes.

I appreciate any thoughts and advice!

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I am a longtime Blackberry user. Love my Blackberry and am only giving it up because I have to (my company is dropping support on March 1). I'm currently on Verizon but would like to switch to ATT. I have not been impressed with Verizon's network and ATT off-contract is much cheaper. I use my phone for A LOT of e-mail. I don't need a ton of apps (I've been perfectly fine on BB) and I do not want a giant phone or screen. I'm not the type of person to watch videos on my phone. I want a messaging device that works with a few benefits such as GPS/traffic, mobile banking, camera, etc.

My company is giving me $300 to purchase a new phone. Here are my ideas/options:

1) Purchase a 32GB Moto X from Moto Maker for $450. Get the "GSM Unlocked" version (works on both T-Mobile and ATT). This costs me $150 out of pocket (thanks to $300 reimbursement). With ATT I can get 300 MB and unlimited talk, text for $45 per month with no annual contract. I save $15 / month on no contract so I make up the extra $150 I spent on the phone in 10 months.

2) Verizon has the HTC One on a month to month contract for $450. I'd ask ATT to price match so same thing as above.

3) Wait for hopefully good news that the Sony Xperia Z1s will be available in the US market soon. There have been lots of rumors since November but I'm sick of the rumors and no concrete news.

What do you think of my options? Any opinions on Moto X vs HTC One? I know the camera on the HTC One is superior but that doesn't concern me as for special events I bring a nice point and shoot real camera with me anyway. Am I correct the "GSM Unlocked" is the correct one to buy? Why would I get a specific ATT branded one? I'd rather have it unlocked for no branding and potential resale purposes.

I appreciate any thoughts and advice!
I will recommend the Moto X for great battery, awesome always-on, nice design, and since I think that in a year, the HTC One will be more out-dated than the Moto X.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000