Best tablet for college students?

claytont22

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I recently decided to invest in a tablet for note taking purposes in college. I've looked around and found many good choices but they all seem to be a bit pricey. Should I invest in to $400 Galaxy Note 10.1? Or are there better options that have "active digitizer like" screens that cost less?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tablet for college students

I recently decided to invest in a tablet for note taking purposes in college. I've looked around and found many good choices but they all seem to be a bit pricey. Should I invest in to $400 Galaxy Note 10.1? Or are there better options that have "active digitizer like" screens that cost less?

Welcome to the forums.
What features are you looking for?

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I tried using an original TF101 for school and eventually changed to a chromebook. Unless you absolutely need digital hand written notes its better to have a good keyboard and easier multitasking. Just my 2 cents.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The Tegra Note 7 has great stylus/note taking abilities and is only $199

Posted via Android Central App

claytont22

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

But does it compare to the galaxy note's capabilities?

- - - Updated - - -

I need to hand write my notes. Some professors hate laptops.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I'm going to be a troll here, but what's wrong with using a laptop to take notes? I can type over 100 wpm on a good day, but I'll be damned if I can even write at 50 wpm.

Want to hear a funny story? One time at a meeting, this coworker brought her Lenovo Yoga to take notes. Instead of using it as a laptop, she folded it and flipped it over and used it as a tablet. She used her fingers to write notes, instead of just typing them.

But to humor you regardless, the EVGA Tegra Note 7 comes with a stylus, and the Dell Venue 8 also comes with a stylus. Both are under $200.

There's also the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for $330 if you don't want to get the 10.1.

Edit: I highly discourage getting the Note 10.1 just for note taking purposes. The 32 GB model is $600. You can now get a Surface Pro 128 GB (which comes with a stylus) for $600, and for note taking purposes, the Surface Pro would be vastly superior.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to be a troll here, but what's wrong with using a laptop to take notes? I can type over 100 wpm on a good day, but I'll be damned if I can even write at 50 wpm.

Want to hear a funny story? One time at a meeting, this coworker brought her Lenovo Yoga to take notes. Instead of using it as a laptop, she folded it and flipped it over and used it as a tablet. She used her fingers to write notes, instead of just typing them.

But to humor you regardless, the EVGA Tegra Note 7 comes with a stylus, and the Dell Venue 8 also comes with a stylus. Both are under $200.

There's also the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for $330 if you don't want to get the 10.1.

Edit: I highly discourage getting the Note 10.1 just for note taking purposes. The 32 GB model is $600. You can now get a Surface Pro 128 GB (which comes with a stylus) for $600, and for note taking purposes, the Surface Pro would be vastly superior.

I don't think that is trolling. It brings up a very good point. With a tablet and even buying a case that allows it to stand and a Bluetooth keyboard, one has now invested almost as much money as an inexpensive laptop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't think that is trolling. It brings up a very good point. With a tablet and even buying a case that allows it to stand and a Bluetooth keyboard, one has now invested almost as much money as an inexpensive laptop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Definitely a great point, I agree with Golfdriver!

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and welcome to the forums Clayton!

jlg234

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I believe the Dell Venue 8 Pro (win 8.1) supports an active stylus. I have not heard of the Venue 8 Android supporting one. Just something to look further into.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Clayton is right in that some professors hate laptops. The Note 10.1 is definitely overkill for the simple task of handwriting notes to get them electronically converted so be sure you want and need the other things a 10" tablet can provide.

The nice thing about a device like the Surface or most transformers is that you get the functionality of a tablet with the office software of Windows, aka the gold standard at university. It might be worth your while to have a peak at some Windows RT devices

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

charlesrogers74

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

I'll do you one better. Record audio and write notes (some professors even send out the typical power point slides out whatever they use for their lectures).

When you get home transfer that info, of audio plus whatever notes you have taken, over to typed notes which will also give you a study session with the repetition. That's how I do my notes and it really helps.

I have a Toshiba Thrive with a case that has a Bluetooth keyboard. It was not easier, due to the small Bluetooth keyboard keys, to take notes.

Just my two cents as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I'll do you one better. Record audio and write notes (some professors even send out the typical power point slides out whatever they use for their lectures).

When you get home transfer that info, of audio plus whatever notes you have taken, over to typed notes which will also give you a study session with the repetition. That's how I do my notes and it really helps.

I have a Toshiba Thrive with a case that has a Bluetooth keyboard. It was not easier, due to the small Bluetooth keyboard keys, to take notes.

Just my two cents as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forums!

And that's definitely the best idea so far! 👏👏👍😆

jlg234

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Dell Venue 8 can be ordered with a stylus.

Dell Venue 8 Inch Android Tablet Details | Dell

I checked on that stylus and it is just a non active rubber bulb tip stylus mainly used for replacing your finger and allowing you to better target your subject. I was referring to an active stylus which has a hard tip and more suitable for writing notes and even better for targeting smaller hot links. Dell sells such a stylus for their Venue 8 Pro. That same stylus will not work with the Android model whether the 7 or 8". I have the Venue 8 Pro with the active stylus and I the Venue 8 along with a non active stylus. The soft tip is not as good for writing.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I checked on that stylus and it is just a non active rubber bulb tip stylus mainly used for replacing your finger and allowing you to better target your subject. I was referring to an active stylus which has a hard tip and more suitable for writing notes and even better for targeting smaller hot links. Dell sells such a stylus for their Venue 8 Pro. That same stylus will not work with the Android model whether the 7 or 8". I have the Venue 8 Pro with the active stylus and I the Venue 8 along with a non active stylus. The soft tip is not as good for writing.

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know that.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I have a note 10.1. It's great and much more convenient than carrying paper notes. I don't really carry a backpack to most classes anymore, especially since professors these days love PowerPoint's. It really does save time and paper.

Posted via Android Central App

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Maybe a Windows Surface might be good? If you are taking a statistics course, you'd need Excel or maybe SPSS.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance