10" Tablet, which to buy...?

MoWe1983

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!

This is my first post here, so hi!

I searched the forum a long time and read different threads but I just have to ask for myself!

I want to get a new Tablet. It has to be 10". I'm torn between Asus TF701T, Xperia Z and Nexus.

Just some short information: coming from a Blackberry 8520 Smartphone and a Blackberry Playbook, I ditched both and got myself a Nexus 4 in May last year. I couldn't be happier. I decided for the Nexus 4 as a device with a screen big enough to read and small enough to fit in my pocket to replace my two devices.

Well as it appears it did well but I wanted a new tablet none the less. I want to be able to transfer my photos on the go from my SD card over to the tablet. I want to read Zinio Magazines and some eBooks, watch movies and do some quick edits to my photos on the go.

I've already researched that this is possible with all of the devices I'm looking at.

Now to my problem. Here in Germany I was only able to look at the Xperia Z in person. I haven't found and outlet to show the TF701T and the Nexus 10 seems to be only sold online at all.

As I'm using a 13" MacBook Pro as my main Computer and the Nexus 4 is exceptionally well build to, I am looking for a device with similar build Quality. Can you guys tell me something about that? And as the Nexus 10 is the oldest device, how does it fare against the other two in terms of speed?

Maybe some of you could help me out!:(

Cheers,

MoWe

MoWe1983

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to buy the Z today but it was sold out everywhere in the 32GB edition without anybody knowing when or if they get restocked!

So again waiting or searching for alternatives?

TF701T or Nexus 10 or maybe even G-Pad 8.3, which sadly is not available as Google Play edition in Germany.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys!

This is my first post here, so hi!

I searched the forum a long time and read different threads but I just have to ask for myself!

I want to get a new Tablet. It has to be 10". I'm torn between Asus TF701T, Xperia Z and Nexus.
If it were me I'd get the Nexus. Top notch hardware and will get great support forever. I can't think of any other Android tablets that compare (unless you count the 2013 nexus 7).

The only real downside is no SD expansion.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What about the note 10.1? Great screen and SD card expansion

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't get the Nexus 10. It's over 1 year old now and is obsolete compared to the newer 10 inch tablets.
LOL...how exactly is it obsolete?

2560 x 1600 300ppi display - Thats better than the iPad Air.
2 gigs RAM (double the iPad Air)
Matches or beats all other Nexus tablets in CPU benchmarks (The 2013 Nexus 7 performance preview: a huge speed upgrade in every way | Ars Technica)

The fact that is is old does not mean it is obsolete...it was way ahead of it's time, and the competition is just now catching up. What exactly about it is obsolete? Can you give some specifics?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
LOL...how exactly is it obsolete?

2560 x 1600 300ppi display - Thats better than the iPad Air.
2 gigs RAM (double the iPad Air)
Matches or beats all other Nexus tablets in CPU benchmarks (The 2013 Nexus 7 performance preview: a huge speed upgrade in every way | Ars Technica)

The fact that is is old does not mean it is obsolete...it was way ahead of it's time, and the competition is just now catching up. What exactly about it is obsolete? Can you give some specifics?

It's still $400 for the 16 GB, $500 for the 32 GB. That's overpriced now, considering you can get 10 inch tablets like the TF701T for $400 with 32 GB.

It only has a dual-core A15 processor. Newer tablets (once again, using the TF701T as an example) have quad-core A15's or quad-core Krait 400's now. That's literally twice the cores, although real world results won't be exactly twice the performance. Even a $199 Kindle Fire HDX with the Snapdragon 800 would blow away the Nexus 10.

All of the new Samsung tabs coming out that were shown at CES will be coming with Snapdragon 800's.

Basically any of the new flagship SoCs like the Tegra 4, Snapdragon 800, Exynos Octa, and even Bay Trail T make the Exynos Dual look and feel completely obsolete.

Edit: Almost forgot about the 64-bit A7 SoC in the new iPad.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It's still $400 for the 16 GB, $500 for the 32 GB. That's overpriced now, considering you can get 10 inch tablets like the TF701T for $400 with 32 GB.
As a Transformer owner, I can tell you Nexus is better. Asus does make good tablets, but the Nexus is just that good. Storage space is not worth putting up with a crappier display and Asus 's awful skin that weighs down Android like an anchor.

It only has a dual-core A15 processor.
So? That dual core processor is twice as fast as the quad core processor in the Nexus 7 2012. Number of cores does not = better.

Newer tablets (once again, using the TF701T as an example) have quad-core A15's or quad-core Krait 400's now. That's literally twice the cores, although real world results won't be exactly twice the performance. Even a $199 Kindle Fire HDX with the Snapdragon 800 would blow away the Nexus 10.
And the Nexus 7 blows away the Kindle. Bonus: it's a real tablet and not just a content delivery device for Amazon.

I've owned 2 Transformers. The only reason I got them was because I could not finance a Nexus at the time. If I was going to buy a tablet today it'd be a Nexus.