Sprint/Softbank Purchasing T-Mobile pending FCC Approval

4ekbrandon

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Same source that told me about the Sprint Student Offer a week before it came out- there should be more details about this on the 17th.

Don't be surprised if this 'Merger' has T-Mobile's policies and general business philosophy going forward.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Same source that told me about the Sprint Student Offer a week before it came out- there should be more details about this on the 17th.

Don't be surprised if this 'Merger' has T-Mobile's policies and general business philosophy going forward.

Well, in 6 days, it will be interesting.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting indeed!
I'm with Sprint so this sounds good, very good to me.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Do not want. We left Softbank/Sprint for reasons. Not interested in the least in returning. I doubt regulators will approve it. I'm hoping this simply means more free money for T-Mobile. I'll be writing the FCC, Justice Dept. and my Federal legislators in opposition to the acquisition of T-Mobile by Softbank to do my part to help ensure that outcome.

If it happens, anyway, I predict:

• All, or nearly all, of T-Mobile's "uncarrier" initiatives will be dropped
  • T-Mobile's aggressive, and, unlike Sprint's, successful network upgrades will slow or stop
  • T-Mobile's GSM network will become a poor second cousin to Softbank's CDMA network. There will be little-to-no network expansion

At which point we'll move to Verizon Wireless.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Do not want. We left Softbank/Sprint for reasons. Not interested in the least in returning. I doubt regulators will approve it. I'm hoping this simply means more free money for T-Mobile. I'll be writing the FCC, Justice Dept. and my Federal legislators in opposition to the acquisition of T-Mobile by Softbank to do my part to help ensure that outcome.

If it happens, anyway, I predict:

• All, or nearly all, of T-Mobile's "uncarrier" initiatives will be dropped
  • T-Mobile's aggressive, and, unlike Sprint's, successful network upgrades will slow or stop
  • T-Mobile's GSM network will become a poor second cousin to Softbank's CDMA network. There will be little-to-no network expansion

At which point we'll move to Verizon Wireless.

Oh come on! Lets hope for the best ey?
The best for us, if course! 😆

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess they figured; why not? We're still two separate companies. 😈

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess, so there's more competition. But I really want Sprint to be GSM instead of CDMA.
Oh well, only time will tell...

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh come on! Lets hope for the best ey?
I was with Sprint for fifteen years. I finally gave up "hoping for the best," where Sprint was concerned, this summer. I see nothing out of either Sprint or Softbank to give me cause for hope.

This is not going to be a "merger," regardless of what they call it. It's going to be Softbank acquiring a controlling interest in T-Mobile. Period. Now: Tell me what you've seen from Softbank to inspire you.

And they should remain as separate companies as well.
Yes, they should.

I guess, so there's more competition.
More so that Softbank (let's start calling them who they really are, shall we?) cannot destroy TMO's bold initiatives. What T-Mobile's doing now is revolutionary for the U.S. wireless market. Do not believe, for a New York Heartbeat, that Softbank, Verizon Wireless and "at&t" don't want to see this stopped in its tracks.

But I really want Sprint to be GSM instead of CDMA.
Here's a wild idea: Why don't you just switch to a GSM wireless carrier, then? There are two of them with a national footprint in the U.S., you know.

Subscriber numbers as of 3Q 2013: Softbank's Sprint: 53M, TMO: 44M (approx. 20% of which is MetroPCS CDMA, btw). Do you honestly believe Softbank is going to buy T-Mobile, then say to themselves "Our new TMO holding is GSM, except for the MetroPCS part, which is CDMA, so let's convert all of our Sprint holdings' sites to GSM, and alienate all our Sprint holdings' customers."

Seriously?

Especially given the fact that Japan, whence Softbank is located, is entirely CDMA?

My "hoping for the best" is hoping that either Softbank abandons this idea or that U.S. regulators shoot it down.

Last edited:

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention there are a bunch of prepaid services that run on the AT&T or T-mobile networks...

Straight Talk is one that comes to mind (AT&T)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I been planning the move to TMo.
Unfortunately the coverage I get with Sprint is way better, and the price is also better!

My contract ends by July 2015, I hope TMo has better coverage by then.
If the coverage and price are the same as Sprint or better I will jump ship in a heartbeat!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess, so there's more competition. But I really want Sprint to be GSM instead of CDMA.
Oh well, only time will tell...

I'd rather them just go out of business and T-Mobile purchase their spectrum.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sprint has the world's worst service reception

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

Not where I live!
That's why I'm still with them, and because the price too, of course!

Several places and towns around here don't have service or have very low voice signal with no data from the other big 3 carriers.

And since I need the phone for work, I'm not switching just yet, hell no!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not where I live!
That's why I'm still with them, and because the price too, of course!

Several places and towns around here don't have service or have very low voice signal with no data from the other big 3 carriers.

And since I need the phone for work, I'm not switching just yet, hell no!

What if I told you a company can have isolated pockets where it is the best carrier yet still be the worst on a nation wide scale?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz