01-25-2014 03:19 PM
145 ... 456
tools
    The tracking is necessary for Google to give its users such precise, relevant information. That's probably why tracking is enabled by default. The vast majority of users probably don't even look at the settings, much less change them. If they were turned off by default, Google Search & Google Now would not work nearly as well. Also, the info Google sells to advertisers would not be as precise, therefore not as valuable. That's probably why tracking is by default enabled.

I personally couldn't care less what Google collects about me. If they want to waste their server storage space on my info, more power to 'em! Besides, in my opinion, the return I get in services is well worth it. I guess that means that the storage space isn't really wasted. And I don't care if I see an ad for a Galaxy Note 4 rather than a ladies' wristwatch (I'm a male).
    Sure but it would work just as well as an opt in service for those who don't mind it. If they had little prompts on the phone every so often to alert the user to the services you'd know whether you wanted it or not. I don't see where the problem is. It's easier for Google to have it all on by default.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    01-14-2014 04:33 AM
    This is the first I've heard of MS doing that, can you expand on that? What data does MS sell and trade, and to whom?

Microsoft Online Privacy Statement
    The big story on this from 2012 and 2013 was MS and Yahoo selling data to both political campaigns in the 2008 and 2012 elections, prior to that it was MS selling information to Yahoo and very recently there were stories about just exactly what MS's plans were relative to selling bio-metric data derived from the Kinect. This information was most recently covered during the backlash to the "Scroogled" campaigns, but prior to that I was under the impression that most privacy watch dogs knew that the language relative to sharing information with business partners was discovered to indicate that they won't sell your name, phone number, e-mail address, photos etc, but they will sell information about your internet usage to just about anyone, including many universities, other companies, etc. I'm not sure who Yahoo ticked off to be included in MS's being called to task for hypocrisy, but the end result is that the way Google actually handles data came out looking really good, despite the preconception of them as the evil empire of data selling.

This is one of those topics where, given the massive focus on privacy, that I assume everyone knows the differences between the business practices of each company as dictated by reality, not by their own PR sounding boards and then I end up extremely surprised that people still think Google sells information and that they don't know that the other tech giants do.
    tgp likes this.
    01-14-2014 05:00 AM
    This is one of those topics where, given the massive focus on privacy, that I assume everyone knows the differences between the business practices of each company as dictated by reality, not by their own PR sounding boards and then I end up extremely surprised that people still think Google sells information and that they don't know that the other tech giants do.
    Thank you for making it clear in my mind how Google handles the data they collect. I honestly didn't know exactly how that works. The thing is, out of all the big tech companies, Google is by far my favorite. I don't really care what they do with my data (at this point). I do know that they're more open about it, which is probably at least part of the reason why they're being accused all the time.
    01-14-2014 07:11 AM
    The big story on this from 2012 and 2013 was MS and Yahoo selling data to both political campaigns in the 2008 and 2012 elections, prior to that it was MS selling information to Yahoo and very recently there were stories about just exactly what MS's plans were relative to selling bio-metric data derived from the Kinect. This information was most recently covered during the backlash to the "Scroogled" campaigns, but prior to that I was under the impression that most privacy watch dogs knew that the language relative to sharing information with business partners was discovered to indicate that they won't sell your name, phone number, e-mail address, photos etc, but they will sell information about your internet usage to just about anyone, including many universities, other companies, etc. I'm not sure who Yahoo ticked off to be included in MS's being called to task for hypocrisy, but the end result is that the way Google actually handles data came out looking really good, despite the preconception of them as the evil empire of data selling.

I missed that story unfortunately but that's quite interesting. If the information presented was proven beyond doubt to be true (was it?) then what we're looking at at best is them playing with loopholes in the wording of their own privacy policy, at least how I interpreted it. At worst they outright violated their own policy.

Either way, I've never been comfortable trusting the published privacy statements of any of these companies. I remain skeptical of Google being completely on the level with us as well, and would go.so far as to say that if they did come out looking better than MS in that story, it's not unreasonable to speculate that's only because they haven't been exposed in a like manner yet.
    01-14-2014 07:48 AM
    Either way, I've never been comfortable trusting the published privacy statements of any of these companies. I remain skeptical of Google being completely on the level with us as well, and would go.so far as to say that if they did come out looking better than MS in that story, it's not unreasonable to speculate that's only because they haven't been exposed in a like manner yet.
    True. We could use this assumption to say that as far as we know, one company is no better than another. We cannot fully trust the word of any of them and we don't know which company is better or worse with they way they handle our data. Based on this we should use whichever company gives us the best experience.
    01-14-2014 08:00 AM
    please help.

I have/ had a Sony Xperia Z phone and found it almost impossible to use. It's waterproof and is a good phone with a lot of features. But I'm disabled – I have manual dexterity problems and the phone's settings do not have any options/manipulations which can be adjusted to make it usable for me. The retailer tried another waterproof phone (a Samsung Galaxy) but it had the same problem; they also contacted their head office (they are one of the main mobile phone retailers in the UK), and spoke to their Technical Services, but no one could help. The other waterproof phone had an Android operating system too; it couldn't be made usable either. Android is one of the main operating systems for smart-phones with an increasing share of the market. I trust you will change the source code to make this operating system adaptable for various disabilities and inform your retailers of this, and also publicize that, being open source the underlying operating system is very adaptable. I've noticed help for partially sighted/ blind disabilities but precious little for other disabilities, including mine.

I have swapped my Sony Xperia Z with a friend's iPhone during their holiday - such a difference! I can use it – not perfect, but much better. In particular, the on-screen keyboard is much easier to use, something fundamental to almost everything.

I have no experience of the new Windows Nokia phones – all I know is that the old Windows operating system for computers was disabled-friendly, but the new Windows 8 seems to have deteriorated.

My disability makes it hard for me to cope with all touch-screens, but I will give it my best – the whole future of communication/computing seems to with mobile touch screens so I trust you will bear disabilities in mind.

Having a disability myself and knowing other people with various disabilities, may I make some suggestions:
    Have a committee with a chairperson whose remit is to make the Android operating system disabled-friendly.
    Invite contributions and suggestions from various programmers and disabled groups – insert ad inviting ideas in various magazines and journals.
    Examine how accessibility is achieved in other operating systems, e.g. Windows and Apple's iOS, and learn from them.
    Perhaps, you could test beta versions of the operating system on selected people with various disabilities.
    Specifically for my own disability:
    1. Could the touchscreen facility be turned on/off easily – have a special, easily accessible button/key for this (I like the iphone for an area where it can be held /touched with no fear of touching it with unpredictable results).
    2. Secondly, enable a history of the system states [or simply, the websites visited, as in the Google Chrome OS for computers] to be obtained easily, plus a restore function (I think this facility would be in welcomed by able-bodied people who are [IT/computer/technology device]-phobic, and even generally for everybody, and would be an enhancement leading to increased sales, as is the case for many “disabled features” implemented at the design stage).
    3. Thirdly, could more than one/many screens be open at the same time and you be able to copy and paste using a temporary clipboard/store between screens. Quite intriguing the increase in productivity this would allow for everybody with the huge range of Google apps and websites from Google Search, as well as it helping me and others with manual dexterity problems. (I use Copy & Paste a lot to speed me up and avoid much touchscreen repetitive work. [I even text myself followed by Copy&Paste to build up a text to avoid losing a lot with an accidental touch or touching the Deleting key too long!]

4. Fourthly, at the manufacturing stage, could a number of screen-guard sleeves be made to be used in conjunction with a stylus e.g. in the screen keyboard case, a slip-on guard over the screen with holes corresponding to keys for the different keyboard characters – please instruct your manufacturers accordingly – anything implemented at the design stage, rather than being a later add-on is cost-effective – few disabled people are rich.
    5. Fifthly, I'm not sure how to remedy problems I have that are unique to touchscreens. With the Sony Xperia Z I kept getting variously accented letters when texting (On account of this same problem, I couldn't use the keyboard for the Search function at all). Perhaps a slider akin to what is available for Windows computing would be the answer together with a vastly increased range of time for touching would help? This could then be locked and assigned for that user profile – this concept of having different 'users' is good.
    6. Even better, could the use of a fingerprint scanner be used to set up different user profiles? Thus negating the need for inputting passwords using a touchscreen. And it would be a very effective anti-theft method for protecting desirable, popular devices for everybody.
    7. Another good thing is the use of predictive text – I was happy with the Sony Xperia Z for 'learning' even odd, strangely accented words which I used frequently.
    8. A further idea might be an adaptation of a method I used when working as a programmer analyst /developer – basically there is a 20*20 array giving 400 options/phrases, which can be used to produce results with few [time-consuming keystrokes: adaptation touch's] quickly e.g. if one key in the first list was selected to represent C++ programming terms and was assigned to this then just typing [or in this context, touching] the first key in that group would give a certain outcome (I can't remember the name of this – it's many years ago! and I'm sure there are better ones now. It's just an idea which could be adapted for the touchscreen problem. I hope you can understand it from this outline and maybe it'll give you an idea or help you. (I had a very slow motor speed although I could think quickly and had an excellent memory). I think this 'speed' enhancement could aid everybody too and may be a selling point.
    9. Also, I have problems with getting the 'touch' to register (unusual, probably related to my underlying disease: multiple sclerosis). A slider function in the Settings would probably be appropriate here too.

I'd just like smartphones and other devices which use the Android operating system to be more amenable to people with disabilities. I hope you don't consider me too cheeky.

Please acknowledge receipt of this, even automatically. I contacted you over two weeks ago but received no reply.
    01-14-2014 09:06 AM
    please help.

I have/ had a Sony Xperia Z phone and found it almost impossible to use. It's waterproof and is a good phone with a lot of features. But I'm disabled I have manual dexterity problems and the phone's settings do not have any options/manipulations which can be adjusted to make it usable for me. The retailer tried another waterproof phone (a Samsung Galaxy) but it had the same problem; they also contacted their head office (they are one of the main mobile phone retailers in the UK), and spoke to their Technical Services, but no one could help. The other waterproof phone had an Android operating system too; it couldn't be made usable either. Android is one of the main operating systems for smart-phones with an increasing share of the market. I trust you will change the source code to make this operating system adaptable for various disabilities and inform your retailers of this, and also publicize that, being open source the underlying operating system is very adaptable. I've noticed help for partially sighted/ blind disabilities but precious little for other disabilities, including mine.

I have swapped my Sony Xperia Z with a friend's iPhone during their holiday - such a difference! I can use it not perfect, but much better. In particular, the on-screen keyboard is much easier to use, something fundamental to almost everything.

I have no experience of the new Windows Nokia phones all I know is that the old Windows operating system for computers was disabled-friendly, but the new Windows 8 seems to have deteriorated.

My disability makes it hard for me to cope with all touch-screens, but I will give it my best the whole future of communication/computing seems to with mobile touch screens so I trust you will bear disabilities in mind.

Having a disability myself and knowing other people with various disabilities, may I make some suggestions:
    Have a committee with a chairperson whose remit is to make the Android operating system disabled-friendly.
    Invite contributions and suggestions from various programmers and disabled groups insert ad inviting ideas in various magazines and journals.
    Examine how accessibility is achieved in other operating systems, e.g. Windows and Apple's iOS, and learn from them.
    Perhaps, you could test beta versions of the operating system on selected people with various disabilities.
    Specifically for my own disability:
    1. Could the touchscreen facility be turned on/off easily have a special, easily accessible button/key for this (I like the iphone for an area where it can be held /touched with no fear of touching it with unpredictable results).
    2. Secondly, enable a history of the system states [or simply, the websites visited, as in the Google Chrome OS for computers] to be obtained easily, plus a restore function (I think this facility would be in welcomed by able-bodied people who are [IT/computer/technology device]-phobic, and even generally for everybody, and would be an enhancement leading to increased sales, as is the case for many disabled features implemented at the design stage).
    3. Thirdly, could more than one/many screens be open at the same time and you be able to copy and paste using a temporary clipboard/store between screens. Quite intriguing the increase in productivity this would allow for everybody with the huge range of Google apps and websites from Google Search, as well as it helping me and others with manual dexterity problems. (I use Copy & Paste a lot to speed me up and avoid much touchscreen repetitive work. [I even text myself followed by Copy&Paste to build up a text to avoid losing a lot with an accidental touch or touching the Deleting key too long!]

4. Fourthly, at the manufacturing stage, could a number of screen-guard sleeves be made to be used in conjunction with a stylus e.g. in the screen keyboard case, a slip-on guard over the screen with holes corresponding to keys for the different keyboard characters please instruct your manufacturers accordingly anything implemented at the design stage, rather than being a later add-on is cost-effective few disabled people are rich.
    5. Fifthly, I'm not sure how to remedy problems I have that are unique to touchscreens. With the Sony Xperia Z I kept getting variously accented letters when texting (On account of this same problem, I couldn't use the keyboard for the Search function at all). Perhaps a slider akin to what is available for Windows computing would be the answer together with a vastly increased range of time for touching would help? This could then be locked and assigned for that user profile this concept of having different 'users' is good.
    6. Even better, could the use of a fingerprint scanner be used to set up different user profiles? Thus negating the need for inputting passwords using a touchscreen. And it would be a very effective anti-theft method for protecting desirable, popular devices for everybody.
    7. Another good thing is the use of predictive text I was happy with the Sony Xperia Z for 'learning' even odd, strangely accented words which I used frequently.
    8. A further idea might be an adaptation of a method I used when working as a programmer analyst /developer basically there is a 20*20 array giving 400 options/phrases, which can be used to produce results with few [time-consuming keystrokes: adaptation touch's] quickly e.g. if one key in the first list was selected to represent C++ programming terms and was assigned to this then just typing [or in this context, touching] the first key in that group would give a certain outcome (I can't remember the name of this it's many years ago! and I'm sure there are better ones now. It's just an idea which could be adapted for the touchscreen problem. I hope you can understand it from this outline and maybe it'll give you an idea or help you. (I had a very slow motor speed although I could think quickly and had an excellent memory). I think this 'speed' enhancement could aid everybody too and may be a selling point.
    9. Also, I have problems with getting the 'touch' to register (unusual, probably related to my underlying disease: multiple sclerosis). A slider function in the Settings would probably be appropriate here too.

I'd just like smartphones and other devices which use the Android operating system to be more amenable to people with disabilities. I hope you don't consider me too cheeky.

Please acknowledge receipt of this, even automatically. I contacted you over two weeks ago but received no reply.
    Hello, Susan. Who is the intended recipient of your letter? I wasn't able to read the whole thing but copy/paste is very easy. You just press and hold the text you wish to copy. Either select a word, link, or all, and select copy, then paste it wherever you need it to go. After you do it once or twice you'll have the hang of it. Good luck!

01-14-2014 09:11 AM
    Best thread hijack EVER! :-P j/k
    Paisley, msndrstood and A895 like this.
    01-14-2014 10:56 AM
    I'm one of the few people that chose to live without Facebook from the first days it became "the in thing" and I could not be happier with that decision.

Believe me, I don't know how old you are, but if you're like me (low to mid-forties ) you'll realize that there's a helluva lot more to life than this social networking BS.
    I am the same age range as you. I don't get why people think social network needs to be a "lifestyle". I use it as a tool. It isn't a lifestyle any more than a car is a lifestyle.

Having a Facebook account does not mean you are staring at it 23 hours a day. It's there when you want it, and when you don't, you can ignore it. I've gone weeks without messing with facebook and weeks where I was on it several times a day. It's not a mutually exclusive thing. You can have both.
    01-14-2014 11:06 AM
    Best thread hijack EVER! :-P j/k
    LOL LOL

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    01-14-2014 11:09 AM
    Hello mrsmumbles The intended recipient is the design team of the android operating system. This was my third attempt to contact them. I first tried on 24th Dec when I used the Android Central website to send an almost identical message. You are obviously able-bodied - I have great difficulty with the mouse but use a well-known alternative to copy/paste.
    01-16-2014 11:04 AM
    Hello mrsmumbles The intended recipient is the design team of the android operating system. This was my third attempt to contact them. I first tried on 24th Dec when I used the Android Central website to send an almost identical message. You are obviously able-bodied - I have great difficulty with the mouse but use a well-known alternative to copy/paste.
    Hi, Susan. It sounds like you want to contact Google, since it's their version of Android which goes on most consumer Android devices.

You may want to try posting your letter in Google groups, in a Google Android subforum. And make it clear you are trying to contact Google. Good luck.

susan_lynch likes this.
    01-16-2014 11:09 AM
    You are in the wrong place. No one from Android works here. This is a website for Android fans.
    01-16-2014 03:42 PM
    You are in the wrong place. No one from Android works here. This is a website for Android fans.
    But that's not to say no one working at Google never reads the forums. They probably do, but maybe they read the Android forums at Google Groups more.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    01-16-2014 04:01 PM
    You would probably have better luck on Google +. Do a quick search on there and you will have a number of options to add people to your circles that would be able to address your concerns. Good luck!

I have MS as well but am still pretty mobile and functional. My issues are more memory and word finding with some physical aspects thrown in. Android has been like an old friend. I wish you well.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    mrsmumbles and susan_lynch like this.
    01-16-2014 04:26 PM
    But that's not to say no one working at Google never reads the forums.
    Right. However, it is simply inappropriate to try to communicate with them through these forums.

No one should have the expectation or be led to have the expectation that Google will respond to a letter from them that was posted here at Android Central.
    01-16-2014 04:29 PM
    I know. But there's no way to contact Google directly.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    01-16-2014 04:50 PM
    Thanks, I'll try but not sure how - can u get this through Google Search? I try to get things clear in my head before I type it out since my physical ability is not good. I spent ages trying to find an email address to send this message, and was on the point of sending it to a journalist who was obviously a critic of the Android OS when some one pointed me in the direction of an Android forum.
    01-21-2014 10:57 AM
    a journalist who was obviously a critic of the Android OS when some one pointed me in the direction of an Android forum.
    Wouldn't it be more prudent to look for critics of Android on forums that compete with Android, as opposed to an Android forum?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    01-25-2014 12:28 PM
    Wouldn't it be more prudent to look for critics of Android on forums that compete with Android, as opposed to an Android forum?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    The downside to that the members and staff on some competing forums are woefully ignorant of how other OS's work, and are full of misinformation. ie. WPC
    01-25-2014 03:19 PM
145 ... 456