I need more control

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
They probably know a lot more about us from Forum posts than from E-mails and text messages. Forum posts are public, therefore, are also a lot "cleaner" to mine legally, and easier for bots to categorize into context, because thread titles and forum segments are typically laden with relevant keywords...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This thread convinced me to delete my Google+ account. There is nothing I'm missing.

Same here deleted mines last night signed onto gmail onto my laptop just now and already I was asked do I want to join Google Plus, short answer Hell No!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They probably know a lot more about us from Forum posts than from E-mails and text messages. Forum posts are public, therefore, are also a lot "cleaner" to mine legally, and easier for bots to categorize into context, because thread titles and forum segments are typically laden with relevant keywords...

I believe you searching one of my forum names on google and got all the sites I tend to comment on.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

In number of search results yes, but the ability to read your sms conversations over the years lets Google in on a lot more personal data. Your wife reminding you to pick up drug prescriptions, your kids telling you about their daily activities, your parent asking if you can drive them to a chemotherapy appointment. And so on, and so on, for years. Not just you, but also all of those you've communicated with.

The email and Web search datamining I can deal with. It's much easier to control. But having to self censor such a frequently used communication tool like sms in order to maintain privacy becomes much more problematic and inconvenient.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
And the credit reporting agencies are proposing that they start trolling social media sites and include whatever info they gleen from them into your credit report. Just peachy.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
2 things

xchange, until Google pulled their core apps out and made them updatable from Google Play, what permissions do you THINK they had? Likely they had even MORE permissions. I understand it scares you, but the Search app wants to read SMS so it can include results from your SMS in your search results when you search using the app on your phone.

Did a quick search using my real name and my current town of residence (since 2007 I believe) and got no relevant results on page 1. Guess I'm doing something right...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
And the credit reporting agencies are proposing that they start trolling social media sites and include whatever info they gleen from them into your credit report. Just peachy.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

I forgot I saw that headline earlier this week. That's wild, glad I'm not on social media doing all that.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

ynomrah

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't find much to worry about (yet anyways). It would seem that any company that offers any competing services store exactly the same amounts of data. Getting off the grid typically isn't the answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't find much to worry about (yet anyways). It would seem that any company that offers any competing services store exactly the same amounts of data. Getting off the grid typically isn't the answer.

Why does going off grid not solve the problem?

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
2 things

xchange, until Google pulled their core apps out and made them updatable from Google Play, what permissions do you THINK they had? Likely they had even MORE permissions. I understand it scares you, but the Search app wants to read SMS so it can include results from your SMS in your search results when you search using the app on your phone.

Did a quick search using my real name and my current town of residence (since 2007 I believe) and got no relevant results on page 1. Guess I'm doing something right...

I'm highly dubious of them taking a step down in permissions ;-)

But to clarify on your 2nd point, it's not my sms conversations appearing in search results I'm talking about here, it's the contents of them aggregated over the course of years residing on a database, anywhere. I realize there are people who are ok with that but I'm not one of them.

aseke

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Reset your device. Don't backup your apps with google or any server. Create a gmail account only for your device running. Sign in All other accounts in email icons. Set all accounts, Social network privacy as you need through PC or laptop. Set google + not shared. It will show only your profile. Change all application password with @, #, num etc.and change it every 70 days. Make it strong. Try to use only essential software. Use Just Once button when it asked. Clear history, cash memory from the browser. Try to use google verified apps. Try to browse without sign in. If you look for some erotic websites. Smile.......

ynomrah

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why does going off grid not solve the problem?

Because doing so means you have to take a significant step back in the quality of your life. Unless your okay with becoming Omish (which is completely fine). What you should instead focus on is embracing the way in which technology handles our privacy, and managing ways to stay more private from within. Like for instance, setting your social network status to mostly private, reducing time on public forums, using proxies, going by different usernames, having multiple accounts, browsing in incognito, using encrypted services etc etc. If your not doing anything unlawful, there should be no reason you should feel worried about the plausibility of your security being compromised when taking the proper precautions.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Because doing so means you have to take a significant step back in the quality of your life. Unless your okay with becoming Omish (which is completely fine). What you should instead focus on is embracing the way in which technology handles our privacy, and managing ways to stay more private from within. Like for instance, setting your social network status to mostly private, reducing time on public forums, using proxies, going by different usernames, having multiple accounts, browsing in incognito, using encrypted services etc etc. If your not doing anything unlawful, there should be no reason you should feel worried about the plausibility of your security being compromised when taking the proper precautions.

How does step back your quality of life? I don't use social networks and I only be on the verge and mobile nations sites. Did we really reach a point where socao networking is part of life? I thought the pint was to go out and experience life first hand. I have noticed people who come into high school mostly males who don't know how to talk to a girl in real life but, can talk to a girl on instagram.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not the same thing at all. We could as a society survive without social networking its a matter of do you want to survive without it.
The exact same thing is true of the phone and car. You can survive without both. I didn't have a car for years. I survived fine, but life wasn't as pleasant. That's why I have a car now.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The exact same thing is true of the phone and car. You can survive without both. I didn't have a car for years. I survived fine, but life wasn't as pleasant. That's why I have a car now.

So life is more pleasant with social networks? I find that I had more fun when I was not on them so much. An example, this past summer I had an amazing time, you know why? I hung out with friends. We did not video chat I was not constantly posting to social media all we did was hang out go to Atlantic Station in midtown Atlanta or go out to the movies or go to dinner or hang out at someone's house. We had genuine fun. In the downtime we didn't see each other we called and texted each other and figured where our next adventure would take us. That's how life as a teenager should be. I see some people in my age group all they do is be on social media all day on the weekends. It's crazy. While you are posting to Facebook or something of the same. I was out having breakfast with a girlfriend of mines and then we went to dinner and the movies with everyone else that afternoon. But, I digress that's my case. Others may be different. I enjoy life and seeing things myself.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So life is more pleasant with social networks?
Yes. Very much so. I am able to communicate with friends and family on a whim now.

I am old enough to remember a time when long distance prices made calling relatives expensive. Now I am able to get in touch with them on a whim. Reconnect with people I haven't seen in decades.

I find that I had more fun when I was not on them so much. An example, this past summer I had an amazing time, you know why? I hung out with friends.
Who told you that this is not possible while using social networks?

It's not a mutually exclusive thing. You can have both.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante