I need more control

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I discovered I HAVE to have Google+ apparently, because otherwise I cannot send images via GTalk.

So my solution was to turn everything to "private" and tell it to post nothing, and remove all notifications, including nag notifications about Google+ itself. All this is possible to do in settings.

It is annoying that this is even necessary, but I think this could make it possible for me to live with Google+. Google has pretty much made Latitude worthless now. Thanks Google.

llamabreath

Banned
Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I discovered I HAVE to have Google+ apparently, because otherwise I cannot send images via GTalk.

So my solution was to turn everything to "private" and tell it to post nothing, and remove all notifications, including nag notifications about Google+ itself. All this is possible to do in settings.

It is annoying that this is even necessary, but I think this could make it possible for me to live with Google+. Google has pretty much made Latitude worthless now. Thanks Google.

I'm one of the few people that chose to live without Facebook from the first days it became "the in thing" and I could not be happier with that decision.

Believe me, I don't know how old you are, but if you're like me (low to mid-forties :mad: ) you'll realize that there's a helluva lot more to life than this social networking BS.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the few people that chose to live without Facebook from the first days it became "the in thing" and I could not be happier with that decision.

Believe me, I don't know how old you are, but if you're like me (low to mid-forties :mad: ) you'll realize that there's a helluva lot more to life than this social networking BS.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

Uh, I think the forums are a form of a Social Network.

Shocking, I know. 😲

From a upper 50's girl. 😨

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see this mentioned in the thread yet, so I'll throw it out there. This debate is going to become much more complex and harder to get away from as the internet of things starts to expand into every industry and part of one's life. Yes, there will be un-connected products made for a while to come, but we're already seeing the rise of connected 'things' as the norm for both mid-range and high-end consumer products.

llamabreath

Banned
Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Uh, I think the forums are a form of a Social Network.

Shocking, I know. 😲

From a upper 50's girl. 😨

Nah, not really at all.

Nobody here knows anything about me unless I say anything about me.

For instance -
The only reason you know my name is because I told you.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Nah, not really at all.

Nobody here knows anything about me unless I say anything about me.

For instance -
The only reason you know my name is because I told you.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

True. But you also have shared other things publicly. It's interaction with, wait for it, people, hence a social network.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see this mentioned in the thread yet, so I'll throw it out there. This debate is going to become much more complex and harder to get away from as the internet of things starts to expand into every industry and part of one's life. Yes, there will be un-connected products made for a while to come, but we're already seeing the rise of connected 'things' as the norm for both mid-range and high-end consumer products.

The crazy thing about that is...wait for it....you don't have to buy it. Don't need or want it so why buy it? If it comes with a future place I'll move into I'll sell it.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The crazy thing about that is...wait for it....you don't have to buy it. Don't need or want it so why buy it? If it comes with a future place I'll move into I'll sell it.

My point was that as the consumer market becomes more saturated with connected devices it may be increasingly difficult to find the products you're looking for without such connectivity.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Yup. And that is how things have been depicted in any movie i've seen in a non-post apocalyptic future. And in all those movies, there is no privacy what so ever. That lack of privacy by is never depicted as a good thing. That will be a very sad day. It's basically already here though, but a few things have still yet to catch up, namely appliances currently still function without connectivity, but soon that won't be the case. Man, that’ll be great for the NSA though. Pretty easy to request records from LG: What time that person did their laundry and drank their coffee…etc, etc, etc. Now they will be able to spy on your entire hour to hour existence inside your home, not just listen in on your phone calls. *smh*

HAHA, I can see it now, people will post their actions to G+/FB. “Maureen just had a delicious cup of sanka coffee, here’s a coupon!”

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
i think using WP is still the most efficiente way of staying away from Google!

ofc MS also gets info about you BUT its faaar less instrusive and abusive, since adds are not MS main source of income!

and you'll end up using their services, like Outlook and Skydrive...so you kinda will be out of the Google ecosystem!

but ofc, you must rly be willing to make the move and switch to WP lol

i've owned a 620 before my Moto G and WP is indeed a rly good OS...buuut when i decided to buy a new phone, there was just no WP that was a significant upgrade from the 620 that cost the same as the Moto G, so i just came back to Android!

and i decided to disable all Google services (except for Gmail and Google Drive)...i even opt-out their add program, tho i wonder how far i'm rly out lol

sent from my Moto G <3

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
True. But you also have shared other things publicly. It's interaction with, wait for it, people, hence a social network.

Llama is right. Social networks like Facebook track your real life friends and family and your interactions with them and derive ad profit from it using analysis of those. Android Central knows my IP, my throwaway email address, and my impersonal android related comments. Big difference.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

ofc MS also gets info about you BUT its faaar less instrusive and abusive, since adds are not MS main source of income!

and you'll end up using their services, like Outlook and Skydrive...so you kinda will be out of the Google ecosystem!

i've owned a 620 before my Moto G and WP is indeed a rly good OS...buuut when i decided to buy a new phone, there was just no WP that was a significant upgrade from the 620 that cost the same as the Moto G, so i just came back to Android!

and i decided to disable all Google services (except for Gmail and Google Drive)...i even opt-out their add program, tho i wonder how far i'm rly out lol

sent from my Moto G <3

I'll consider WP when MS figures out how to get smartphones right.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

sent from my Moto G <3

You're right that MS doesn't get it's main revenue from Ads (although they are trying to pickup whatever market share they can), so when it comes to data they just straight up sell and trade your data. That's "faaar less intrusive and abusive" than using your information to choose which ads to present to you? MS doesn't let you choose which companies your info is sold to and Google doesn't sell your info at all. To me, MS, Yahoo, Apple, etc have practices that are millions of times worse than Google.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
But what would be nice is if it were opt in, instead of opt out. If they showed a prompt every now and then to opt people in with clear benefits attached, it would be nicer than having to go through a lot of settings to opt out. But still, I'm glad there's still an option to opt out.

The tracking is necessary for Google to give its users such precise, relevant information. That's probably why tracking is enabled by default. The vast majority of users probably don't even look at the settings, much less change them. If they were turned off by default, Google Search & Google Now would not work nearly as well. Also, the info Google sells to advertisers would not be as precise, therefore not as valuable. That's probably why tracking is by default enabled.

I personally couldn't care less what Google collects about me. If they want to waste their server storage space on my info, more power to 'em! Besides, in my opinion, the return I get in services is well worth it. I guess that means that the storage space isn't really wasted. And I don't care if I see an ad for a Galaxy Note 4 rather than a ladies' wristwatch (I'm a male).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781