Chromebooks are awful. And here are some examples why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Some tips

- choose a model that has an SD card available
- shoot in RAW+JPG mode

Not really gonna help with video editing though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When my old Dell D630 finally craps out, it'll be replaced by a Chromebook.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I love Google, but Google+ and the Chromebook are awful ideas.

I actually have enjoyed using Google+ for years and this is from someone that isn't big on social networks.

I also like the idea of a chromebook and plan on getting one (I received a cr48 a couple years ago but it died) and from what I've seen chromeos has evolved quite nicely for what it is.

Posted via Android Central App

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Haha, I read that article this morning.

Even though I personally would never get a Chromebook, I'm actually buying a Chromebook for my girlfriend. She's completely computer illiterate and her laptop is so incredibly slow and laden with malware that it literally takes five minutes to open a browser. Even though I've been cleaning out her laptop every couple of weeks, I'm getting tired of the constant "Babe this website is telling me that I have viruses, should I click Download?" UGH!

So, Chromebook it is!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Haha, I read that article this morning.

Even though I personally would never get a Chromebook, I'm actually buying a Chromebook for my girlfriend. She's completely computer illiterate and her laptop is so incredibly slow and laden with malware that it literally takes five minutes to open a browser. Even though I've been cleaning out her laptop every couple of weeks, I'm getting tired of the constant "Babe this website is telling me that I have viruses, should I click Download?" UGH!

So, Chromebook it is!

Heh and this is one of the very reasons I want a chromebook in the house. I'm tired of hearing the complaints that the netbook is running slow again.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Or maybe I'll even buy her -gasp- a Surface RT!

Edit: Cancel that, Windows 8 would be too confusing for her, let alone Windows 8 RT.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What is it doing for you that a laptop of the same price can't?

Well, that is kind of a stupid question because I don't have a laptop of the same price, so I don't care what a laptop of the same price could do for me. I suppose I'll play along, though: my Chromebook's OS maintains itself very well and doesn't get bogged down because nothing can be installed to it. I basically don't have to do anything to maintain it or update it other than restart it when an update is downloaded every few weeks or clean out my browser history.

If you don't like Chromebooks, that's fine. I won't be convinced that I'm wrong to love mine, though.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, that is kind of a stupid question because I don't have a laptop of the same price
I disagree. If you can get more functionality by spending the same money, why would you not want that? Why is it stupid to want more for the same amount of money?

my Chromebook's OS maintains itself very well and doesn't get bogged down because nothing can be installed to it.
Self control works well for me. I avoid getting bogged down by not installing stuff. I like having the option to install it if I want though.

I keep thinking there must be something I am missing. A reason people are buying these instead of laptops. So far the only real reason I have heard is that they're more virus resistant.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. If you can get more functionality by spending the same money, why would you not want that? Why is it stupid to want more for the same amount of money?

Apparently, I need to rephrase myself: "Well, that is kind of a stupid question TO ASK ME because I DON'T CARE because I don't have a laptop of the same price."

Self control works well for me.

Good for you.

Oh, and the battery for my Chromebook (a 2011 Series 5 model) lasts forever. 7 hours easily (Samsung claims it'll go for 8.5 hours). That kicks my work-issued laptop's ***.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I would just like to stop by and remind everyone that a conversation as such can be had in a friendly manner. No question is stupid when a user is genuinely interested. The internet can often be misleading in tone and meaning, so lets keep that in mind as well :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Think of the chromebook as between a tablet and pc. It's offers more functionality than a tablet, but the same low maintenance, easy to use, no muss no fuss environment. I also happen to like the chromeOS interface and I like that it gets frequent updates that make noticeable changes. I already have a nice Windows 8.1 desktop that I built myself it does the increasingly low number of things the chromebook can't. It's also fun to just work with something different and chromeOS is a different experience from OSX or Windows or your standard out of the box Linux distro.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I can't speak for the state of things right now as I haven't been shopping for a laptop recently but when I bought my Samsung Chromebook last year, there wasn't really anything comparable for $250.

Besides virus resistance, I'm fond of the lack of heat or fan noise (thanks ARM processor!), the weight, battery life, and speedy boot times.

There may be a Windows laptop out now for $250 that gets 6+ hours of battery life, has no heat or fan noise, and can boot from cold off to ready to go in 30 seconds and loads from a SSD. If so, great. I haven't been shopping for a laptop since I got my chromebook so I'd be down for a device like that.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The HP Chromebook 11 was the worst possible Chromebook to attempt this with. Every other Chromebook currently available has an SD card slot for example. The C720 is much faster with better battery life and an optional touch screen.

I'd get a Chromebook over a "more capable" laptop at the same price because I don't need the extra functionality. I have a big, powerful workhorse machine. A Chromebook is a light, take it anywhere, simple, no maintenance web browser. Its great for email, simple documents, uploading photos to your cloud of choice (provided you don't get the HP 11, which is the worst Chromebook available in every way bit looks), and other simple, light weight tasks. When my $450 windows laptop and my Samsung Chromebook are sitting by each other, if I'm just going to check a couple websites, write some email, or work in a word processor, 9 times out of 10 I grab the Chromebook because it is easier and more enjoyable to use.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd get a Chromebook over a "more capable" laptop at the same price because I don't need the extra functionality. I have a big, powerful workhorse machine.
So do I. Thats why I use a tablet for the light stuff. It is more portable and easier to hold than any Chromebook.

A Chromebook is a light, take it anywhere, simple, no maintenance web browser. Its great for email, simple documents, uploading photos to your cloud of choice (provided you don't get the HP 11, which is the worst Chromebook available in every way bit looks), and other simple, light weight tasks.
So is a tablet.

They are not as portable as tablets and don't do as much as laptops...seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I can't speak for the state of things right now as I haven't been shopping for a laptop recently but when I bought my Samsung Chromebook last year, there wasn't really anything comparable for $250.
Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/14-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/8850089.p?id=1218914354022&skuId=8850089&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=2

Besides virus resistance, I'm fond of the lack of heat or fan noise (thanks ARM processor!), the weight, battery life, and speedy boot times.
I get the same thing with my tablet though.

There may be a Windows laptop out now for $250 that gets 6+ hours of battery life, has no heat or fan noise, and can boot from cold off to ready to go in 30 seconds and loads from a SSD. If so, great. I haven't been shopping for a laptop since I got my chromebook so I'd be down for a device like that.
Laptops have gotten dirt cheap in the last year. Two of my co-workers bought some. I am shocked at how good they are for under $300. Windows 8 really does make a big difference. They are very quick and lighter than I expected. Best of all, they will run full "real" PC apps...I can run photoshop or acrobat pro on them without any problems.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/14-laptop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/8850089.p?id=1218914354022&skuId=8850089&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=2

I get the same thing with my tablet though.

Laptops have gotten dirt cheap in the last year. Two of my co-workers bought some. I am shocked at how good they are for under $300. Windows 8 really does make a big difference. They are very quick and lighter than I expected. Best of all, they will run full "real" PC apps...I can run photoshop or acrobat pro on them without any problems.

I have a tablet as well. They are two very, very different types of devices. I use them for very different types of things. Windows 8 on a Celeron will not be satisfying long term. I'm so tired of people who have never owned a Chromebook talking about how crappy they are. If they aren't for you, that is all well and good, but if you haven't owned one and used it for an extended period of time, you have no accurate way judge their usefulness relative to anything else.

So do I. Thats why I use a tablet for the light stuff. It is more portable and easier to hold than any Chromebook.

So is a tablet.

They are not as portable as tablets and don't do as much as laptops...seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

Again, a tablet and a Chromebook are not the same type of device and not meant to do the same kind of things. I can do actual productive work on a Chromebook while I'm out. I cannot on a tablet. Not even with a bluetooth keyboard. They simply aren't good for it. When I need to be productive but don't need the horse power of my work machine, I use a chromebook. When I'm on the couch writing in forums, I use my Chromebook. If I'm just reading or browsing Reddit and such, the tablet is great for that. If I'm writing a response like this, the Chromebook is 100x better. If I'm working on a report, the Chromebook is 100x better.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a tablet as well. They are two very, very different types of devices. I use them for very different types of things.
Well, web browsing seems to be a main reason for Chromebooks. My tablet does a great job with that. I use it at lunch to consume news content in my car...that would be real awkward with a chromebook.

Windows 8 on a Celeron will not be satisfying long term.
Why not? I have actually used these, and they are plenty fast. Windows 8 is actually quite remarkable if you can circumvent that stupid and pointless Metro UI. It is lean and fast...much faster than comparable Windows 7 machines.

They are not all Celerons. The ones I have used myself are dual core AMD CPUs. I have seen quad core versions under $300 on sale.

I'm so tired of people who have never owned a Chromebook talking about how crappy they are. If they aren't for you, that is all well and good, but if you haven't owned one and used it for an extended period of time, you have no accurate way judge their usefulness relative to anything else.
Well, the guy in that link used one for an extended period. Just sayin.

I can do actual productive work on a Chromebook while I'm out. I cannot on a tablet. Not even with a bluetooth keyboard. They simply aren't good for it.
I'd just get a laptop for productivity. It will run a much wider range of software and will be a lot more flexible long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol