Nervous about Swappa transaction

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
So I had a Galaxy S4 for a while but sold it and went back to my iPhone. I've regretted ever since.

Saturday night I purchased a brand-new GS4 on Swappa. Now I've convinced myself I'm getting scammed. The guy has 5-star feedback from 9 people but now I'm thinking "How can this guy list 17 phones (new) in the last 6 weeks"? Also, shouldn't he have feedback from all his sales?

Do you think this guy is stealing phones from somewhere, like his place of employment? Also, if it's new do I still have to worry about him waiting past the 45-day PayPal "safety window" and then having it blocked?

I've got myself so worked up over this I want to barf. I wish I hadn't purchased it. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Not all buyers leave feedbacks. Maybe he's a retailer. I used to buy a new/different phone every month, it's not uncommon.

sent via tapatalk

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have sold 2 phones on swappa and only one person left Any feedback.. I consider swappa one of the safer ways to purchase a phone... Remember if you do have problems swappa will only refund the 10 dollar fee that they charge ( PayPal is going to be your only recourse).. But with that much positive feedback your probably just being paranoid :)

Sent from my ROOTED HTC droid DNA using cyanogenMod 10.2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What network is the S4 on? If it's got an ESN I believe you can check it through Swappa to make sure the device is clean and can be activated on the network. As mentioned by someguy01234, some people go through phones regularly and this may be one of those situations. Keep in mind that you do have several recourses if you do get scammed and have used reliable methods of payment to dispute a transaction.

Let us know how it woks out :)

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Swappa verifies that the person owns the device and that it has a good ESN (meaning not stolen) before they can sell the phone, so it's one of the safest places to buy a phone.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
The phone arrived today. It's in perfect condition. The USB, wall wort and headphones were still in plastic. I also had to take all the plastic strips off the phone. AT&T verified the IMEI was clean before I put it on my account. I don't think anyone had ever activated the phone before me and there was a new sim in the box. It works perfectly. I hope nothing bad happens after my 45 day PayPal protection because I am VERY happy with this phone!

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The phone arrived today. It's in perfect condition. The USB, wall wort and headphones were still in plastic. I also had to take all the plastic strips off the phone. AT&T verified the IMEI was clean before I put it on my account. I don't think anyone had ever activated the phone before me and there was a new sim in the box. It works perfectly. I hope nothing bad happens after my 45 day PayPal protection because I am VERY happy with this phone!

I'm glad it worked out for you, I wouldn't worry too much, with electronic devices, if they are going to fail due to faulty components they usually do so within the first couple of weeks.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad it worked out for you, I wouldn't worry too much, with electronic devices, if they are going to fail due to faulty components they usually do so within the first couple of weeks.

That's not what they're worried about. They're worried about the phone being reported as lost/stolen and having the IMEI blocked.

Techngro

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a Note 3 on Swappa that was supposedly 'clean', but it didn't stop T-Mobile from blocking the phone two months later for non-payment of EIP by the original owner. Since it's past the Paypal 45 day window, they won't let me open a dispute, and Swappa is no help either. So i'm stuck.

Just because it's checked before you buy doesn't mean you won't have problems down the road.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a Note 3 on Swappa that was supposedly 'clean', but it didn't stop T-Mobile from blocking the phone two months later for non-payment of EIP by the original owner. Since it's past the Paypal 45 day window, they won't let me open a dispute, and Swappa is no help either. So i'm stuck.

Just because it's checked before you buy doesn't mean you won't have problems down the road.
Ouch, I better watchout for that.

sent via tapatalk

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I wouldnt be worried since Swappa uses Paypal... I bought this HTC one that had a broken mic and a purple camera bug (i was okay with the bug but not the broken mic) and i just told the sellers that it was not as described.. Swappa admins to me to return it and i returned it. Seller got it. Got my money back and refunded the 10 dollar fee... only thing i paid was shipping.. not bad i guess
You should be okay :)

Edit: glad it worked out well for you !

and I dont think Swappa allows you to sell Tmobile phones that are in EIP

swhitner20

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Swappa transaction

I purchased a phone on SWAPPA and 10 months later it was blacklisted. Seller wants to do nothing and BBB is doing noting. Buy your new phone from the store. Or you will regret it SWAPPA phones are like a ticking time bomb just waiting to fail.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Swappa transaction

I purchased a phone on SWAPPA and 10 months later it was blacklisted. Seller wants to do nothing and BBB is doing noting. Buy your new phone from the store. Or you will regret it SWAPPA phones are like a ticking time bomb just waiting to fail.

I've had plenty of flawless transactions on Swappa from both the selling and buying side.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173