Nexus 5, Moto X or Other

adammg84

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently an iPhone 5 user and have had most of iPhones (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4 & 5). I'm not a power user or invested in a lot of apps. A single charge can last me on average 2 days from the iPhone 5. Reasons for wanting to switch, 1. I'm kind of tired of iOS and would like to be able to customize more things. 2. I want a bigger screen between 4.7" & 5" for consuming media, Phablets are just too big for me. Plan on selling my iPhone 5 to make up most of the cost since I'm still under contract w/ AT&T, so $350-400 is where I can comfortably be. Nexus 5 seems like the best deal, but concerned about Speaker quality from the reviews I've read. I use speaker phone a lot while driving, around the house & working. Has the updates to software & grill helped enough to make it adequate for my use? That's why I'm also considering the Moto X even if its a little higher priced. Am I missing other phone options in my price range?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Adammg

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently an iPhone 5 user and have had most of iPhones (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4 & 5). I'm not a power user or invested in a lot of apps. A single charge can last me on average 2 days from the iPhone 5. Reasons for wanting to switch, 1. I'm kind of tired of iOS and would like to be able to customize more things. 2. I want a bigger screen between 4.7" & 5" for consuming media, Phablets are just too big for me. Plan on selling my iPhone 5 to make up most of the cost since I'm still under contract w/ AT&T, so $350-400 is where I can comfortably be. Nexus 5 seems like the best deal, but concerned about Speaker quality from the reviews I've read. I use speaker phone a lot while driving, around the house & working. Has the updates to software & grill helped enough to make it adequate for my use? That's why I'm also considering the Moto X even if its a little higher priced. Am I missing other phone options in my price range?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Adammg

Moto X would be the easiest transition in my opinion. Cool features that you'll enjoy and an excellent form factor, unlike with the Nexus 5.
Worth the extra $50 in my opinion

Posted via Android Central App

adammg84

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank y'all for the quick responses. I'm going to check out the Moto X today at AT&T store today, but I was wondering what do you mean by easiest transition/far jump from the iPhone?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank y'all for the quick responses. I'm going to check out the Moto X today at AT&T store today, but I was wondering what do you mean by easiest transition/far jump from the iPhone?

Moto X is not that much bigger, just as smooth and gets pretty prompt updates. It also has cool features besides just being a Nexus. Honestly nexus devices out of the box aren't that exciting. But a Moto X out of the box is awesome with Active Display, Touchless Controls, and good battery life and form factor.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is not that much bigger, just as smooth and gets pretty prompt updates. It also has cool features besides just being a Nexus. Honestly nexus devices out of the box aren't that exciting. But a Moto X out of the box is awesome with Active Display, Touchless Controls, and good battery life and form factor.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

This +1,000,000

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 5 seems like the best deal, but concerned about Speaker quality from the reviews I've read. I use speaker phone a lot while driving, around the house & working. Has the updates to software & grill helped enough to make it adequate for my use? That's why I'm also considering the Moto X even if its a little higher priced. Am I missing other phone options in my price range?
It will depend on what you want the most. The Nexus 5 is probably the best overall Android phone out right now, but if battery is really important to you I'd say go with the Moto X. The Nexus has better specs in every other way, but the Moto X will definitely have better battery life.

I consider the Nexus 5 speaker to be middle of the road. It is not awful but not great either. In the $400 price range though, there is nothing even close to the Nexus IMO. Even without the price advantage it would be the best Android phone out right now.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It will depend on what you want the most. The Nexus 5 is probably the best overall Android phone out right now, but if battery is really important to you I'd say go with the Moto X. The Nexus has better specs in every other way, but the Moto X will definitely have better battery life.

I consider the Nexus 5 speaker to be middle of the road. It is not awful but not great either. In the $400 price range though, there is nothing even close to the Nexus IMO. Even without the price advantage it would be the best Android phone out right now.

The Nexus 5 is only a better device on paper. In real world use the Moto X is head and shoulders above the Nexus 5. I have the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and the Nexus 5. I use the Moto X everyday. I play with the Nexus 5 now and then. The Moto X is a work-a-day device where the Nexus 5 is a toy/tool.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is only a better device on paper. In real world use the Moto X is head and shoulders above the Nexus 5. I have the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and the Nexus 5. I use the Moto X everyday. I play with the Nexus 5 now and then. The Moto X is a work-a-day device where the Nexus 5 is a toy/tool.
In what way is the Moto X a better phone? Can you give me any specifics?

They both run a vanilla android UI. The nexus just runs it a lot better.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Active Display Notifications, Touchless control, Moto Assist, faster app launching, faster app swapping, and 2 day battery life with normal use. All you have to do is check youtube for several head-to-head videos of the faster functionality against all the flagship devices. Motorola's X8 chipset is just optimized for all the current apps and the software ecosystem as a whole. Now will it hold up as long as the Nexus 5 maybe not but by then there will be a new Nexus and a new Motorola chipset.

I don't believe the Moto X is a "better phone" it just better at doing daily tasks. Where the Nexus 5 is for more hardcore android focused functions.

The Moto X also isn't suffering from nearly as many bugs as the Nexus 5 still is.

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Interesting, I went from the Moto X to the N5 and miss nothing. The only thing I missed at first was Moto Connect but with the DeskSMS chrome plugin/app, it works much better and more consistently than Moto Connect and supports MMS.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Moto X is $399 from Motorola making your price factor moot.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
In what way is the Moto X a better phone? Can you give me any specifics?

They both run a vanilla android UI. The nexus just runs it a lot better.

How so? As far as all accounts go, the Moto X and the Nexus 5 both run very similarly to each other. This comes down to do you want better battery life and speakers or want the better specs (what good it'll do you as phones nowadays are so overpowered for no reason when the average user checks Facebook and uses vine and instagram all day.).

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Faster CPU. Better display. Quicker updates.

As far as all accounts go, the Moto X and the Nexus 5 both run very similarly to each other.
The Moto X runs similar if the phone is not under load. If you start using demanding apps, you will see a difference.

The difference is not noticeable only for people who are not that demanding. I have already been down this road before and regretted it. What is adequate today may be slow in 6 months or a year, because apps change as phones get faster to take advantage of the extra speed. So I always advise to get the best specs you can, especially if it is a phone you will be keeping for 18 months or more.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Active Display Notifications, Touchless control, Moto Assist, faster app launching, faster app swapping, and 2 day battery life with normal use. All you have to do is check youtube for several head-to-head videos of the faster functionality against all the flagship devices.
I saw one one here already. Jerry took the video intending to show how cool the always on functionality is (and yes, it is cool).

What it showed me was how much slower the Moto X is at the same tasks. The difference is not dramatic, but definitely noticeable.

I don't believe the Moto X is a "better phone" it just better at doing daily tasks. Where the Nexus 5 is for more hardcore android focused functions.
This.

I think the Moto X is the better phone for people who will actually use the always on functionality and/or need better battery life, and who do not necessarily care that it is slower. Which is why I always tell people that "best" depends on what is most important to you. No smartphone out right now is the best in every area (no matter what price point). They all make compromises.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How is it moot? Nexus 5 is giving you a better display, better camera, and more powerful CPU for that price.

Camera is up for grabs. Specs don't mean jack if you can't go a full day without looking for a charger. Also, what's the point of those specs besides just bragging about them?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Faster CPU. Better display. Quicker updates.

The Moto X runs similar if the phone is not under load. If you start using demanding apps, you will see a difference.

The difference is not noticeable only for people who are not that demanding. I have already been down this road before and regretted it. What is adequate today may be slow in 6 months or a year, because apps change as phones get faster to take advantage of the extra speed. So I always advise to get the best specs you can, especially if it is a phone you will be keeping for 18 months or more.

How does it go under load? What are you doing on your phone to make a Moto X go slow? I have owned this phone going in two months in a couple weeks and I have had no lag in anything. I say this is an amazing phone for anyone looking for a good overall phone.