stock android v custom overlays

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I would once of argued the point but now after owning the Nexus 5 it is apparent that stock outperforms the manufacturer overlay.

Whilst the Note 3 is a brilliant phone and one that I really enjoy using I find myself growing attached to the Nexus 5.

Am I a convert no I like my Note 3 and running a custom ROM its fantastic.

However I now see that the argument that stock v custom overlays eg touch wiz there is only one winner.

All phones running stock.

Posted via Android Central App

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I personally prefer stock or very close to stock like what you get with the Motorola devices! The Moto X, to me, is the iPhone of the Android world. The almost Nexus! :D

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah a lot of supporters of the moto x and no doubt warranted. But the Nexus is just great and now I have a brilliant combination in my Nexus 5 (Stock) & Note 3 running (X-Note).

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah a lot of supporters of the moto x and no doubt warranted. But the Nexus is just great and now I have a brilliant combination in my Nexus 5 (Stock) & Note 3 running (X-Note).

I would also consider a Nexus but at this point VZW doesn't offer one. Maybe 2014 will bring a Nexus to the Big Red lineup.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Lately I have come to realize that I don't really care either way at this point. I just use Nova Prime on all of my devices just about. Nexus line as well.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Lately I have come to realize that I don't really care either way at this point. I just use Nova Prime on all of my devices just about. Nexus line as well.
Nova Prime is great. I've recently switched over to the Google Experience Launcher though. Something about the simplicity of it all.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Nova Prime is great. I've recently switched over to the Google Experience Launcher though. Something about the simplicity of it all.

It's not on the Play Store yet right? Its just a side load currently? If so I'm to lazy to download it! I will wait for it to be an app :p

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha. Haven't even checked the play store but I did side load it!

Haha fair enough! I know you gotta do a few things before the install if I remember correctly. I'm just to lazy to do it! But I bet it comes as an app at some point. And maybe then I will try it out! Thanks for the information and reply Mumfoau!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a huge critic of Nexus phones. I still don't like the lack of SD or removable batteries, but I simply could not tolerate a non-vanilla experience anymore. It always caused problems and prevented customization. So I only buy Nexus now.

The main reason I didn't before was because I was on Verizon. I left Verizon specifically so I could have a nexus phone finally.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a huge critic of Nexus phones. I still don't like the lack of SD or removable batteries, but I simply could not tolerate a non-vanilla experience anymore. It always caused problems and prevented customization. So I only buy Nexus now.

The main reason I didn't before was because I was on Verizon. I left Verizon specifically so I could have a nexus phone finally.

Wow...I'd love a Nexus but I don't know that I could stomach any other providers coverage as compared to Verizon!

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I used to try this too, but a launcher doesn't fix a couple of my biggest complaints about custom UIs. Ugly/cluttered notification panels drive me up a friggin wall. #1 reason I will not buy a Samsung or LG device. Also, don't screw with the settings screen. Sure, add in the settings for your custom features but stop there. I do not want your custom settings layout. I do not want you to change where settings are or remove settings. Add your crap and get out of there. And finally, lockscreens. Some of the OEMs do an alright job, but others suck. I cannot use a custom lock screen because of an email account I have that requires certain security settings, so I'm stuck with whatever ships on the phone. I like the stock Android lockscreen the best. HTC is a close second. Others are garbage.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I used to try this too, but a launcher doesn't fix a couple of my biggest complaints about custom UIs. Ugly/cluttered notification panels drive me up a friggin wall. #1 reason I will not buy a Samsung or LG device. Also, don't screw with the settings screen. Sure, add in the settings for your custom features but stop there. I do not want your custom settings layout. I do not want you to change where settings are or remove settings. Add your crap and get out of there. And finally, lockscreens. Some of the OEMs do an alright job, but others suck. I cannot use a custom lock screen because of an email account I have that requires certain security settings, so I'm stuck with whatever ships on the phone. I like the stock Android lockscreen the best. HTC is a close second. Others are garbage.

Well I can see your point. However for me its not been a huge issue. Now on to lock screens I agree. but the HTC's current lock screen is just junk IMO. I wish we had more control over that WITHOUT an added app needed.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow...I'd love a Nexus but I don't know that I could stomach any other providers coverage as compared to Verizon!
I thought that too. That was a measure of just how desperate I was to escape Verizon's control. I was bracing myself for the worst. No one was more surprised than me to find out that I did not miss Verizon's coverage at all.

I used to be super critical of T-Mobile. But a lot can change in 18 months apparently. They did a good job of catching up.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I thought that too. That was a measure of just how desperate I was to escape Verizon's control. I was bracing myself for the worst. No one was more surprised than me to find out that I did not miss Verizon's coverage at all.

I used to be super critical of T-Mobile. But a lot can change in 18 months apparently. They did a good job of catching up.
Hmmm.... The wife and I are looking for ways to save $$ so I'll take a look at T-Mo this weekend.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.... The wife and I are looking for ways to save $$ so I'll take a look at T-Mo this weekend.
The coverage is NOT as good. Verizon does have the best coverage. But I would say it is 95% as good. My BF has Verizon still, and there have been times where he gets coverage and I don't, but they are few and far between. The speed difference is completely negligible. Even on HSPA+ I barely noticed a difference. And now T-Mobile has real 4G.

The cost difference is significant. I am getting unlimited-everything now for $70 a month, and no contract. On Verizon I had a contract, limited voice & texts (I had a grandfathered unlimited data) and it was $100 a month. T-Mobile financed my phone for me too. So once it is paid off, I am not longer paying for it. By contrast, with Verizon I have to pay the phone subsidy whether or not I buy a new phone. I can't just choose to keep my current phone and get a cheaper monthly rate.

The other thing I have noticed with T-Mobile...their support staff is a lot better informed about phones. Both the storefront and phone tech people seem to have more of a clue when it comes to recommendations and solving problems. Verizon's storefronts especially were awful about this in my experience. They were staffed with people who were really good at selling, but did not know about their products or even much about smartphones in general. Their responses to my questions felt like reading the bullet points on an advertisement.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The coverage is NOT as good. Verizon does have the best coverage. But I would say it is 95% as good. My BF has Verizon still, and there have been times where he gets coverage and I don't, but they are few and far between. The speed difference is completely negligible. Even on HSPA+ I barely noticed a difference. And now T-Mobile has real 4G.

The cost difference is significant. I am getting unlimited-everything now for $70 a month, and no contract. On Verizon I had a contract, limited voice & texts (I had a grandfathered unlimited data) and it was $100 a month. T-Mobile financed my phone for me too. So once it is paid off, I am not longer paying for it. By contrast, with Verizon I have to pay the phone subsidy whether or not I buy a new phone. I can't just choose to keep my current phone and get a cheaper monthly rate.

The other thing I have noticed with T-Mobile...their support staff is a lot better informed about phones. Both the storefront and phone tech people seem to have more of a clue when it comes to recommendations and solving problems. Verizon's storefronts especially were awful about this in my experience. They were staffed with people who were really good at selling, but did not know about their products or even much about smartphones in general. Their responses to my questions felt like reading the bullet points on an advertisement.

I'm really more interested in the cost difference. I get my technical advice from Android Central!!!

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes