Should I get a new phone NOW or wait till new ones come out?

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So I am an owner of Droid Maxx HD and i have ran into a couple of problems that needs to be fixed. Problem is I am off of the verizon warranty BUT motorola warranty still in effect so I would ship my device over to Motorola with no loaner... I have a couple of options i see that are feasible (more suggestions would be welcome!)
1. get a new phone - I am currently interested in the new Maxx, Note 3 and HTC One Max
2. a bit shady but.... express mail my phone to motorola, get a new phone and hope i can get my phone back within 14 days so i can just pay restock fee of new phone..

I am leaning towards 1 but is now a good time though? Arent there some awesome phones coming up? If you think i should go with 1... any recommendation on which device? I got maxx hd for the battery.. but the new maxx doesn't seem to get much love though?

thanks!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you need a new phone now, then get a new phone now. Remember that there will ALWAYS be newer phones right around the corner.

And I would get the Droid Maxx. I have a Moto X, which is similar, and I love it, so I'm sure the Maxx is also a great experience.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
100% agree with ultravisitor. With android, there is always a new flagship or exciting news around the corner. If you wait for the next line, then you might as well wait for the next, and the next. You see where this is going :p
You should upgrade now if you really need it. I'd look at the new Maxx or the Moto X. The One Max and Note 3 are going to be a far different experience; if you like what you have on the Maxx, the new line and the X will only improve that. You'd be taking a chance with the other two

Posted via Android Central App

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the quick reply. I did take a tour of a "verizon experience store" and got some interesting pointers from the rep. The note and Max he said are toe to toe but he likes his note 3 with the watch gadget thing. One thing that "scared me" was him mentioning the note 3 battery being good but mentioned how he barely used his note 3 and down to 57% (from 9 to 4ish)...

I also looked at some top rated phones and surprisingly maxx is not on the list... i know it was last year the maxx hd... any idea why it isn't? Also is galaxy 4 better than maxx?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I also looked at some top rated phones and surprisingly maxx is not on the list... i know it was last year the maxx hd... any idea why it isn't? Also is galaxy 4 better than maxx?

Who cares? Different sites rate different phones in different ways. Maybe that site didn't have the Maxx as a top-rated phone, but Android Central named it as an honorable mention when they named the best Android phones that people could buy (the Moto X was named the best). The best Android phone you can buy | Android Central

I would not get a Galaxy S4.

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Who cares? Different sites rate different phones in different ways. Maybe that site didn't have the Maxx as a top-rated phone, but Android Central named it as an honorable mention when they named the best Android phones that people could buy (the Moto X was named the best). The best Android phone you can buy | Android Central

I would not get a Galaxy S4.

i see.... I think as an added consideration... i did find that note 3 is on sale for 250 (another verizon store quoted 200 though...) this weekend at verizon. I saw Maxx going for 99 at best buy mobile which is a bit cheap. HTC Max still 299 though.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Good advice thus far and I have the note 3 and in regards to the battery I have been dowloading and posting and sending emails for around 5 and a half hours and I have 63% left so not to bad eh. It may vary but overall I would say its great.

There is also the nexus 5 which I find the camera, bsttery to be ok not wow but not as bad as what is made out but again thst will vary I suopose.

I would also say uograde now there are always new phones and you can get caught waiting or wishing you went for the other one lol

So whatever you find is best and that mihjt be the moto x which I have little exoeriance of as it has just landed in the uk still not io for grabs quite yet though.

You can get input and that is a great thing and helpful but the end desicion is yours.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the quick reply. I did take a tour of a "verizon experience store" and got some interesting pointers from the rep. The note and Max he said are toe to toe but he likes his note 3 with the watch gadget thing. One thing that "scared me" was him mentioning the note 3 battery being good but mentioned how he barely used his note 3 and down to 57% (from 9 to 4ish)...

The biggest reason, is probably the form factor. The Moto X makes most lists and the hardware is basically the same, but the phone feels a lot nicer in the hand and isn't as clunky and heavy. If the last one didn't bother you, this one shouldn't either

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The biggest reason, is probably the form factor. The Moto X makes most lists and the hardware is basically the same, but the phone feels a lot nicer in the hand and isn't as clunky and heavy. If the last one didn't bother you, this one shouldn't either

so i read the droid central review i am not sure if i am missing anything but isn't the Maxx better than Moto x in every single spec? is price the difference here? at 99$ from best buy it is pretty sweet (verizon still has it at 199)...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
isn't the Maxx better than Moto x in every single spec?

No. They're basically the same phone except for size. The Maxx simply has a larger screen and a larger battery (as well as the Droid branding). They're the same in terms of processor and screen resolution.

If price is a consideration, the Moto X is $50 with an upgrade if you buy from Verizon--and you get to design your own.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No. They're basically the same phone except for size. The Maxx simply has a larger screen and a larger battery (as well as the Droid branding). They're the same in terms of processor and screen resolution.

If price is a consideration, the Moto X is $50 with an upgrade if you buy from Verizon--and you get to design your own.

And it'll be $299 off-contract in a few days. He might want to consider that too. Then use his upgrade some time down the line :D

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
how are the displays? in one review i read even though the maxx has bigger screen but it turns out not very sharp as moto x? How is the wireless charging for Maxx? Is it more ideal than regular plugin?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
how are the displays? in one review i read even though the maxx has bigger screen but it turns out not very sharp as moto x? How is the wireless charging for Maxx? Is it more ideal than regular plugin?

The display is bigger, so it's expected to have a lower pixel density (not as sharp)
I don't see the purpose of wireless charging. it is a lot slower and the charger still has to be plugged in. Kind of defeats the purpose imo.

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
ok... i think i quoted from razr maxx instead of new maxx (still not sure why they used same name...)... so no problems with new maxx?

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
dont want to spam but i noticed theres a 100$ rebate on note 3... so that brings it down to 200. Is that better deal than the maxx (possibly 100 at BB i checked.)? it does have better specs and i read less complaints about it than maxx (bluetooth but fixed now?)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
dont want to spam but i noticed theres a 100$ rebate on note 3... so that brings it down to 200. Is that better deal than the maxx (possibly 100 at BB i checked.)? it does have better specs and i read less complaints about it than maxx (bluetooth but fixed now?)

Far different experience but hardware wise the Note 3 wins everything except battery life. Even then, the Note 3 will be more than enough for most people

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22