Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

The one thing I do not want to see is the Motorola brand name dropped. I feel that that name is important to the entire industry.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Say Goodbye to Moto X sales!

Get the Texas Moto X while you can lol
exactly, I can only hope the design for the Moto X2 is well into the pipeline and Lenovo won't screw with it too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Moto x is officially toast. Wow and I was really hoping that the moto x would be something special. Nexus for sure now. No doubt.

yeah, this sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

ugh.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

Son ordered a Moto X Developer Edition this week that has already shipped. His first smartphone. Now the news today of the sale. Now he's torn. Does he keep the Moto X or return it and get a Nexus 5. My concern is how good will Lenovo be on updates and support? What other concerns?

Lenovo? The Nexus 5 is made by LG and the Moto X is well... Made by Motorola? Both are supported by Google, so I'm sure both will get good support either way when it comes to updates.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Son ordered a Moto X Developer Edition this week that has already shipped. His first smartphone. Now the news today of the sale. Now he's torn. Does he keep the Moto X or return it and get a Nexus 5. My concern is how good will Lenovo be on updates and support? What other concerns?

First, the deal is not done. There are regulatory hurdles that need to be tackled.

Second, if Lenovo keeps key player's from Motorola in place, I have faith that they will continue the work they've done already.

We don't know yet.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

oh well just gonna go on with life and see what the future might bring who knows it might be better for motorola but i always thought the best would be google do to them making android

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm not excited about it, but this isn't necessarily a disaster like Palm going to HP. Lenovo actually wants to have a smartphone strategy.

Sent from my Moto X

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

I wonder now... does this mean that Project Ara has been scrapped?

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

At least now we know what reprofiling Motorola means now. Looks like my hope for a Moto X2 just became a SG5. :(

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

My initial thought is that Lenovo is gunning big time for the US market, and probably even wants a chance to make a Nexus device. The Moto X and Moto G have been so well-received and well-reviewed that I don't think they're going to mess with them, and will likely keep the updates coming, because I bet they'll keep the current crew in place.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

How so? The Thinkpad brand is still alive.
When I bought mine in 2005 from IBM it was right before they were sold to Lenovo. The customer care was noticeably worse after the sale. Then they cheapened the device's casing and they weren't near as innovative with the features as IBM was.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Amazing so many people already know Lenovo's plans for Motorola. :)

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

It is too soon to make assumptions, however I will say, I am disappointed. Somehow, the Google+Motorola union just seemed like the perfect match.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Motorola sold for a 3rd of what Google purchased it for?

The one thing I do not want to see is the Motorola brand name dropped. I feel that that name is important to the entire industry.

The release on the Motorola blog indicated that they will keep the Motorola name. Remember this still has to pass through the US and Chinese regulator smell test so we are months if not at least a year away from anything being "official"

Posted via Android Central App

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Very sad news.

Not sure what difference it makes if they keep the Motorola nameplate. It won't be the same product.

Sent via my Moto X

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

if they did drop the brand name then we wouldnt be going to motorola.com anymore it would be lenovo.com nooooo i like motorola's website

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund