Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lenovo fallout

What are the chances that Lenovo will continue assembling phones in the US? I'd be sad to see all those jobs in TX go away.

Too early to say what Lenovo will do with the Texas Flextronics plant.

Note: Only the US Moto Xs are assembled in the US.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

I think it'll likely be 2015 before any significant changes will take place, if any.
I actually agree with you for once. If I was a Moto X owner I would not be all that concerned.

These things happen slowly. Look at how long it was before Google made it's presence felt inside Moto. The Moto X is the first "Google" Moto phone since the Droid 1 IMO.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why Does Motorola being Bought by Lenovo matter?

This is funny. I remember many of the Moto X naysayers saying that no one could ever be sure if the Moto X would continue to receive timely updates because it's not a Nexus.

And now with Lenovo buying Motorola? People are saying that no one can be sure if the Moto X will continue to receive timely updates.

Good grief, people.

No one could say for sure under Google but one thing was certain. As long as Google's name was behind Moto, we knew updates would be fairly prompt. Many users who had ruled out any device other than a Nexus(due to bloatware,delayed updates etc) decided to give the X a try because Google was behind Moto. Now that assurance is gone. I hope that Moto continues to update their devices in a timely manor, and continues to put out more devices like the X. But if someone who just bought an X is concerned, they have every right to be.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lenovo reportedly set to buy Motorola from Google for up to $3 billion

And they're buying IBM's Server hardware business too. So Lenovo has computers and tablets and will now have servers and Smart phones. Why isn't this making the US Government nervous? Why are they so okay with Lenovo but not "other" Chinese OEMs?
The article in the WSJ said that the US government might not be happy with this deal, as it might involve transfer of restricted technology, and that it's even possible the US govt will kill it.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lenovo Support

People forget that the parts for the Moto X are still manufactured overseas. It is only the final assembly that occurs in the U.S.

"Made in America" is more often then not a cry for sales these days anyway. If you suck at marketing, just play to people's nationality and it will be okay.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The article in the WSJ said that the US government might not be happy with this deal, as it might involve transfer of restricted technology, and that it's even possible the US govt will kill it.
that seems strange since android is open source and all the parts used in the Moto X are made in china.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Always a possibility.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I hope they do :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I understand your point, but others here clearly don't. Perhaps you should explain?

There's really nothing to explain. The deal was made public yesterday so they haven't had any time to release any details like that to us. They sort of tip-toed around the question when they were asked. Who knows what that means..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Let's hope it doesn't pass :D

If it doesn't, Google will probably look to still unload it though.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Also remember though when companies are bought and sold more times then not there are usually changes eventually made.Sometimes gradually ,sometimes quickly time will tell which occurs.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, they probably will; but for the time being it'll still be with them. Probably wouldn't see a deal for a few months

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

Lenovo phones suck at updates!

Sent using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Who else would be interested in buying Motorola and can make use of it? I rather have Oppo buying them instead, if they could afford it.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

There's really nothing to explain. The deal was made public yesterday so they haven't had any time to release any details like that to us. They sort of tip-toed around the question when they were asked. Who knows what that means..
I was referring to the part he has in bold. He has made that point several times now but few seem to understand what he is getting at.

I can spell out for you what I think he is getting at but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I was referring to the part he has in bold. He has made that point several times now but few seem to understand what he is getting at.

I can spell out for you what I think he is getting at but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

I'm on the AC app so I can't see what's in bold, sorry

Hoff Woohoo

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

If they continue with Motomaker for the US then they'll need to keep assembling them in the US. I guess we'll Have to see how popular MM becomes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Who else would be interested in buying Motorola and can make use of it? I rather have Oppo buying them instead, if they could afford it.

Uh.