Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Keep or Return for Nexus 5: What's the future?

I think the games he's talking about are things like MotoMaker being exclusive to AT&T, starting the price where it was, etc.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Not sure what reviews you've been watching/reading but most of the ones I have seen, have several Android phones ahead of the iPhone.
Their camera isn't as good compared to the competition as it used to be. I'd still put it within the Top 5, but not #1

Posted via Android Central App

The iPhone cameras (4s and up) aren't necessarily the absolute best, but they perform consistently. And they're sharp enough to look good on a 3.5"/4" screen 😁

Sent from my Moto X

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

No matter how independent they operated from their parent company, I see some Google personality in their marketing, website, boot-up animations and that spotlight player.

While I liked the fact that Motorola has been owned by Google it's the product itself sold me. If the Moto X 2 is just as good a product and I'm shopping when Lenovo owns them, I'll definitely be buying it.

Sent from my Moto X

If trying to make a cheap phone, wouldn't it make sense to no invest in making a custom skin/UI for it?

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Wait and see. I steer clear of buying anything from any company that's in the middle of a transition

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Guess what, the sun will come up again tomorrow and the moto x will still be a great phone. And I am guessing that paranoid people will still be paranoid people! Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

If trying to make a cheap phone, wouldn't it make sense to no invest in making a custom skin/UI for it?

You're right, what I was thinking was a possible budget Lenovo branded phone. They've already got a skin they put on phones don't they, they're just not available in the US?

Sent from my Moto X

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I think the games he's talking about are things like MotoMaker being exclusive to AT&T, starting the price where it was, etc.
OK, well as for the former, that made business sense since Motorola had the established Droid relationship with Verizon and was now trying to sell phones on ATT. So they gave ATT that to try to build a relationship.

As for the latter, that was just a miscalculation on Motorola's part. They wrongly felt that specs don't matter when it comes to price. As much as I like my Moto X, I don't want to pay a premium price unless the hardware or casing are premium.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone cameras (4s and up) aren't necessarily the absolute best, but they perform consistently. And they're sharp enough to look good on a 3.5"/4" screen ��

Sent from my Moto X

true, but even a mediocre camera will do that if all you care about is how it looks on a 4" screen

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

true, but even a mediocre camera will do that if all you care about is how it looks on a 4" screen

Yeah, I was implying that (part of) their IQ reputation is more from what people see on their phones than from being viewed full size on their computers.

Sent from my Moto X

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

It depends. With the HTC One + and Galaxy S5 right around the corner, the Nexus 5 available right now, and the uncertainty regarding to the future of the Moto X, you should probably wait before signing up for two years.

But if you absolutely need a phone now and won't mind buying another one within the next year if you don't like the direction lenovo takes Motorola, then by all means get the Moto X, its still a great handset and will get at least one more update before lenovo has any impact.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

OK, well as for the former, that made business sense since Motorola had the established Droid relationship with Verizon and was now trying to sell phones on ATT. So they gave ATT that to try to build a relationship.

As for the latter, that was just a miscalculation on Motorola's part. They wrongly felt that specs don't matter when it comes to price. As much as I like my Moto X, I don't want to pay a premium price unless the hardware or casing are premium.

I agree with you on the second part, but so far as AT&T, they seem to get more exclusives than any of the other carriers. The iPhone for how many years, not to mention some of the WP phones like the 1020. Keeping it sequestered on one carrier (even though they have close to half of the total subscribers) is shooting yourself in the foot. If they had at least limited it to one month it wouldn't have been so bad, but 3 months in the mobile sphere was too much. During the time it was on AT&T, the X had to compete on other carriers against the G2, Note 3, 5s, and Nexus 5, without what was arguably one of it's best features available. It took the X out of the running for me, because I needed 32GB of storage and a back that wasn't slippery, otherwise I would've gotten the Dev Edition X. Instead I got a Maxx.

If anything, the other rumor about the reason behind the exclusivity, wanting to do a limited test so they didn't get overwhelmed, makes more sense.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Keeping it sequestered on one carrier (even though they have close to half of the total subscribers) is shooting yourself in the foot. .
keeping it sequestered on one carrier for almost 4 years didn't hurt the iPhone at all, though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

No phone takes pictures that look good when printed out large scale. Maybe the Lumia line because of the high MP count, but even my S4 had shots starting to blur on my pc screen

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It depends. With the HTC One + and Galaxy S5 right around the corner, the Nexus 5 available right now, and the uncertainty regarding to the future of the Moto X, you should probably wait before signing up for two years.

But if you absolutely need a phone now and won't mind buying another one within the next year if you don't like the direction lenovo takes Motorola, then by all means get the Moto X, its still a great handset and will get at least one more update before lenovo has any impact.

I agree. I think it wont even have an effect on the X2, at least in the beginning. Maybe a few months in, Lenovo decides to drop long-term support for it, but I'll probably still end up getting it because I just don't see myself getting any of the other phones offered.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I would most certainly buy a Moto X full retail. Wouldn't sign a contract for one though.

Great American phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I would most certainly buy a Moto X full retail. Wouldn't sign a contract for one though.

Great American phone.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense. Having it on contract would get you that phone for two years, so it will probably have no support by that time. And by then the Lenovo deal will probably have taken an effect on Moto's software and update support

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

keeping it sequestered on one carrier for almost 4 years didn't hurt the iPhone at all, though.

It may not have hurt them, but how many would they've sold if they would've been available on all carriers from the start? And there was nowhere near the competition the first few years the iPhone was out. Look at the number of smart phones available in 2007, and how many were available in 2013. Today there are a lot more alternatives for potential customers without having to change carriers. My point is, if you want to get your phones into the most hands, an exclusivity agreement is not the way to go.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

It may not have hurt them, but how many would they've sold if they would've been available on all carriers from the start?
Verizon rejected Apple's terms on selling the iPhone - i.e., Apple retains control over the device and the relationship with the consumer. That term is inextricably tied to the iPhone's success. So if Apple had given in to Verizon just to get their phone on Verizon's network, the iPhone would not be anywhere near as successful as it is.

Now if they could have gotten on Verizon's network under their terms, maybe it would have worked. But Verizon said no to Apple's terms and Apple gave an exclusive deal to ATT in order for ATT to accept Apple's terms.

And there was nowhere near the competition the first few years the iPhone was out.
Which was why Apple was able to dictate the terms of the contract with ATT. Verizon said no to those terms.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

what games?

ATT Exclusive MotoMaker (and I believe it was exclusive to certain carriers first)
Not being sold in EU from the beginning

It may be hard to sell globally on day 1 but others can do it and if you want to succeed, you gotta do it too at any cost. I still can't believe Google did not do it