Best sub $100 Android phone?

kfh227

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I'll be frank. I don't think she needs an Android phone (or Apple). But she has an Android now and wants a new one because her POS phone (Droid 3) is starting to crap out on her. Hardware is just F'ed for some reason.

I was blindly going to get a Samsung (S3 or S4). What others Android phones should I consider?

I would put these things on top of the priority list:
1) Battery life
2) Screen size (4.6"-5")
3) Good sound quality
4) Unified inbox (or after market if free)

Sadly, she needs a Blackberry BB10 (Z30) phone but she is as ignorant as the rest of the USA. I still might push her to the Z30 but I have to atleast see what the best Android options are. Droid Maxx has good battery life I see.

EDIT: Anything coming in the next month that is worth waiting for?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: Anything coming in the next month that is worth waiting for?

Probably not.

1) Battery life
2) Screen size (4.6"-5")
3) Good sound quality
4) Unified inbox (or after market if free)

1) Droid Maxx > LG G2 > Moto X
2) LG G2 > Droid Maxx > Moto X (Largest to smallest)
3) Moto X > HTC One > LG G2
4) Pretty much anything

I'd place all 4 of those devices over the S4 and the S4 way ahead of the S3. The Moto X is, IMO, still the best device available today and the Maxx is mostly the same device with a larger screen and huge battery. The LG G2 I'd place slightly behind the Maxx and pretty far ahead of the HTC One, although the speakers on the front of the HTC One is something people are a big fan of.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you mean $100 on subsidy with contract there are some choices. Without subsidy, there are nothing. Anyway, take a look at the Moto X.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm guessing he means on contract. Definitely the Moto X. Best phone out at the moment IMO, despite what you it looks like on paper.
Convinced my dad to get one and leave his iPhone :p

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd also suggest the Moto X. If you keep an eye on the Amazon site you'll Sometimes see phones drop to low prices on contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The Droid Maxx and Moto X are basically the same phone with the difference being the battery. I hear the sound quality on the Droid Maxx is actually really good.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Read that the Droid Maxx call quality is landline good. So I'll probably grab this for my wife soon.

That's really all of the newer Moto phones. Like mentioned above, the Maxx and X are the same for the most part. Just with a bigger battery. Let us know which one you get :D

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

kfh227

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I can not find any unified inbox software that matches my Z10s. I think I might end up getting my wife a Z30. Heck, the Android Disney World app works on my Z10 just fine so there are no apps that she would want that would not work. And I get a good device (built around communication, not games). Hard to beat a Blackberry phone when you care about communication and could care less about games.

Will be a tough decision. My biggest fear is some little nit becoming an issue for her.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I can not find any unified inbox software that matches my Z10s. I think I might end up getting my wife a Z30. Heck, the Android Disney World app works on my Z10 just fine so there are no apps that she would want that would not work. And I get a good device (built around communication, not games). Hard to beat a Blackberry phone when you care about communication and could care less about games.

Will be a tough decision. My biggest fear is some little nit becoming an issue for her.

The stock email app on Sammy phones allows you to have a combined inbox
For Disney, I use Mousewait and it works great :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
What carrier? Sub $100 on contract? The Moto X is your answer.

Really though, if your wife needs something simple and easy to use...the iPhone 5c is what she should get.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

kfh227

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
What carrier? Sub $100 on contract? The Moto X is your answer.

Really though, if your wife needs something simple and easy to use...the iPhone 5c is what she should get.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

HAHAHAHAHA, no. I want a tool, not a toy.

kfh227

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's official. My wife is getting the Z30. I quickly talked to her. She doesn't use her phone for app (games). Said she uses it for e-mail mostly. Makes the most sense to be honest. Makes no sense to get an Apple, that is for sure. And Android is crap unless you buy an aftermarket keyboard, after market inbox, after market this that and the other. Waste time researching all this crap you need to DL when BB10 comes with it all stock and well designed. If I need an Android app like the Diney World app when we go to Disney later this summer, the Z30 can run it. Already tested on my Z10 and asked others who said it works fine on BB10. So, got the best phone for her in my opinion, as games are non concern.

I do want to thank everyone for narrowing my Android research down. Pretty quickly got it down to the Maxx. It really came down to stock functionality of the phone though.

Thanks,
kfh

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but you got 4 or 5 people suggesting the Moto X and one suggestion for the Maxx... I tend to think she might like the X better, especially with Motomaker...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674