Google is winning because of services & Android

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
By the metric of 100s of millions of users Google has the following hits:

Search, Maps, Youtube, Mail, Android.

Of course with Android you get the incredible native version of Google Now, informational cards that are based on Google mining your location, searches, product purchases and other things to anticipate your needs.

They are #1 in all those areas: search, maps, streaming video, email, mobile OS.

Apple is #1 in devices(most of which will tie into Google services).

Microsoft is nowhere in this, though they are trying like hell(except in video). Everytime MS has a press release about Bing maps I laugh because all you have to do is do a side-by-side comparison with Google/Bing and it's obvious Google Maps have way more POI data, 3-D representations of buildings at a high-zoom level and an easier UI on the the desktop.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just find it funny that long ago there was a whole debacle when news started to talk about how search engines record IPs and keep search results. Then everyone panic and a whole bunch of people switch to Bing thinking they have more privacy.

I also find it funny on Internet Explorer, when you go to the page to get search engine, Google gets a 3/5 stars, but to be fair Bing is 3/5 as well.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
By the metric of 100s of millions of users Google has the following hits:

Search, Maps, Youtube, Mail, Android.

Of course with Android you get the incredible native version of Google Now, informational cards that are based on Google mining your location, searches, product purchases and other things to anticipate your needs.

They are #1 in all those areas: search, maps, streaming video, email, mobile OS.

Apple is #1 in devices(most of which will tie into Google services).

Microsoft is nowhere in this, though they are trying like hell(except in video). Everytime MS has a press release about Bing maps I laugh because all you have to do is do a side-by-side comparison with Google/Bing and it's obvious Google Maps have way more POI data, 3-D representations of buildings at a high-zoom level and an easier UI on the the desktop.

I have to agree there. However MS is still winning on productivity software. Look at how well Office is doing on iOS.

Visa Declined

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure.

I was just looking at Modern Combat 4 in the Play Store, and it has between 500,000 and 1 Million downloads. But I guess you're right, nobody buys games from Google Play.

ghua

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
from dev point of view google is making good job providing plugins for Unity3d and other engines. apple doesnt care, so it is losing the market

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34