Dennis Woodside leaving Motorola

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well the news just keeps getting worse for us. He is leaving to be the COO of DropBox. He was one of the main reasons I bought this phone after listening to his interview with Marquess Brownlee. He sounded like someone who cared what people thought about the company and was willing to listen. I hope this doesn't affect the future plans of Motorola especially since now we don't know who will be leading them forward.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully it doesn't mean anything. However the only thing that can be said about Moto is that 'Times are a changing.' For better or for worse, they are changing.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
No comment on whether this is good or bad. But it IS essentially proof that Lenovo will be--and already is--making changes at Motorola. So all those who said it would just be business as usual would appear to be wrong.

Sent from my XT1053

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
No comment on whether this is good or bad. But it IS essentially proof that Lenovo will be--and already is--making changes at Motorola. So all those who said it would just be business as usual would appear to be wrong.

Sent from my XT1053

I'm guessing this decision was not made by Lenovo as the deal isn't done yet. My guess is Dennis wasn't optimistic about working for Lenovo and began looking elsewhere.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing this decision was not made by Lenovo as the deal isn't done yet. My guess is Dennis wasn't optimistic about working for Lenovo and began looking elsewhere.

This

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

mustbepbs

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone last month and I love it to death. It's easily the best phone I've had in the past 2 years. I really hope Lenovo doesn't screw the Moto X or Motorola up, as a lot of faithful Motorola customers will feel spurned and look elsewhere. Lenovo has an amazing opportunity to comfort users with quick updates and not touching the Moto X line.

mustbepbs

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I recommended this phone to everyone I know. My wife is on the fence about getting it because of the corporate shake up. It's hard to recommend now because of the uncertainties. I really hope the press conference will clear the questions up.

mustbepbs

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
A 720p screen and no SD card kept me from buying this phone.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

I had the Droid DNA before this phone with a 1080p screen and side by side I honestly could not tell the difference. This phone also flies, even with the "mid range specs". Easily the nicest phone I've ever used and owned. That's why I'm so sad about this news.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
A 720p screen and no SD card kept me from buying this phone.
On a 4.7" screen 720p isn't as much of an issue as it would be on a 5" screen like the Droid Maxx has. Take a look at one in Verizon stores to compare.

The no SD card, well, that is a Google thing because they want you on Google Drive, so Lenovo may "cure" that issue.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is it common for the previous CEO to stick around?

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Is it common for the previous CEO to stick around?
No but the reasons they leave are different. If they leave to take a new position, it is because they are marketable. If they just leave and have no where to go and say some bs like they left for family reasons, well then, they knew they would be fired and "left" to save face. They just think the rest of us are too stupid to figure that out. And many of the rest of us are too stupid to figure that out.

Last edited:

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
He suddenly had a brand new job with a lot of unknowns. It would be a lost opportunity to skip comparing to other new jobs. Sounds like he found one with a lot fewer unknowns.

Oh, and my phone is just a good as when I got it. Probably better. This phone will be good until it's easy to see if things went well with Lenovo or not.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
He suddenly had a brand new job with a lot of unknowns. It would be a lost opportunity to skip comparing to other new jobs. Sounds like he found one with a lot fewer unknowns.

Oh, and my phone is just a good as when I got it. Probably better. This phone will be good until it's easy to see if things went well with Lenovo or not.

Fewer unknowns? He's going to Dropbox to be the very first COO. How many more unknowns could there be?

I wouldn't necessarily take this as a bad sign for Moto. Remember Palm? Their CEO stayed.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not crazy about Google giving up on Motorola Mobility because to me that seemed like a Dream merger, but I think people are being a little hard on Lenovo.

This is a company that came out of nowhere 20 years ago, wasn't even known by most of the world until 10 years ago, and has made some very successful acquisitions and turned product lines around. All this to say, they MUST have some smart people working for them somewhere along the line. Their success is not "stupid luck". So my hope is that these executives are smart enough to see a good thing right in front of them and not overrun Motorola's daily operations.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if he would have had to relocate. That's really the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't stay, except if it was for less money, if Lenovo were going to keep Motorola on basically the same track. But since Motorola were losing money Lenovo are bound to make a lot of changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Good point. That's even worse news then--an insider like Dennis is so skeptical about it that he doesn't even hang around and give it a chance?

Sent from my XT1053

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Good point. That's even worse news then--an insider like Dennis is so skeptical about it that he doesn't even hang around and give it a chance?

Sent from my XT1053

Or maybe dropbox had been courting him for a while, and he put them off, but this was the final push that led him to jump. Maybe he doesn't like flying to China. We really don't know his reasons.

I'm not a huge fan of Motorola, and bought the x reluctantly. I am quite happy with the phone, though, and don't expect the phone in my hand right now to get any worse when the deal goes through.

Looking at it from that perspective, this deal makes loads of sense. Google is no longer competing with its hardware partners, and kept those patents it needed. Lenovo has a platform to break into the US market.

Lenovo is a strong, creditable company that has made some good stuff. They may use the Motorola patents (which I assume they bought licenses for) and infrastructure to make great phones going forward. And hey, Motorola phones may get removable sd cards again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci