Google Play Connection Timed Out Retry Error

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
On both my Moto X and my Nexus 7 (2012), when I try to open up Google Play, it spins for a while and then I get a Connection Timed Out / Retry error. I first noticed it yesterday. I tried clearing the Google Play cache, and then the data. I finally removed my Google (gmail) account and put it back, which I think temporarily fixed the phone (but not the tablet), and today the phone is back to the same problem. Everything else is working, including Gmail, Play Music, Play Books, etc., it's only the Play Store that I can't open. App updates are still working, and I can get into the My Apps section of the Play Store by tapping on an app update from the Notifications, but from there I can't get back to the main Play Store screen, it just times out like it does if I open up Google Play directly. Both devices are totally stock.

Someone else has reported the same problem in a couple of the device forums (Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Tab, I think), but this seems to be a more general problem, not device specific, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has seen it and has a fix.

kokiangel

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting the same error and I tried something totally off the wall and it worked. It doesn't fix the problem but it does get me into the play store. Hit the search anyway even though it says "retry" and type in any word to search. See if it will bring up a list or the app you searched for. From there you might be able to play around and finally get into the main screen.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting the same error and I tried something totally off the wall and it worked. It doesn't fix the problem but it does get me into the play store. Hit the search anyway even though it says "retry" and type in any word to search. See if it will bring up a list or the app you searched for. From there you might be able to play around and finally get into the main screen.

I can also search, and I can usually get to My Apps, but cannot get to the Store Home.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I can also search, and I can usually get to My Apps, but cannot get to the Store Home.

Give this a try. Settings, Apps, All, tap the 3 dots in the upper right, Reset Preferences.

Another thing to try is Reset Date and Time even if they are correct, tap the reset button. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Go back in the Play store app. Settings. Password. Is that box checked? Try retyping your password.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If that didn't work, go back into phone Settings. Apps. Scroll to Google Play Store apps. If the Defaults button is not grayed out, tap Clear Defaults.

And of course, the App should not be disabled.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If that didn't work, go back into phone Settings. Apps. Scroll to Google Play Store apps. If the Defaults button is not grayed out, tap Clear Defaults.

And of course, the App should not be disabled.

Defaults button is grayed out. (Possibly because I previously cleared all the data and removed my account and put it back, none of which has helped). And no, of course the app is not disabled.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Other than shutting the phone completely off, doing a battery pull if you have removable battery, and then turning the phone back on, I can't think what else to suggest. Please let us know what does resolve the situation.

justice4all77

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue on both my Verizon Moto X (MotoMaker) and Nexus 7 tablet. It's been about a week with the issue of "Connection Timed Out", I was able to temporarily fix it by doing the clock fix (changing time) but it goes right back to the error after the app is closed. Frustrating:(

pyroflyx

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I am also having this problem with my Moto X and Wifi Xoom - I am keeping track of things on my blog. So far I have found 2 posts (this one and another) - once I found I was not alone with the issue, I stopped looking so hard.

xdalaw

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Same issue for my devices in the past week or so. (N5, N7 FHD, N4, Toshiba Thrive.) Frustrating. Hope this gets fixed soon. Isn't it in Google's interest to make sure their Play Store opens easily to encourage people to buy content??

cpuPhD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I already had 2 google accounts on my phone and switching between them in the Play store seemed to fix the issue for now. I didn't need to remove the primary account. Just add a second Google account to the phone and switch to that in the store. If that connects fine then switch it back to your main account see if that fixes it.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed mine acting up for at least the last 3 days. Have to force stop and power off then put my foot on a wall to get it to work. frustrating

bumpandrun

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I am using a HTC One on Sprint and this started happening to me after the update to Kit Kat. Every once in a while I can get to the store home page but probably 90% of the time I get the timed out message. The store works from any other page, I just can't get to the home page. I've done a full reset, cleared cash, preferences, etc. Nothing works.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Someone posted on another thread in one of the device forums some instructions from Google support. I just tried it and it's actually working for me, at least at the moment.

1. Reboot the device.
2. Sign out of Hangouts. (Open it up, go into the Settings, and you can sign out from there.)
3. Open up Hangouts again and sign in.
4. Go to Settings -> Apps - > All -> Google Play Store and clear the Cache.

Open up the Play Store and cross your fingers. I initially got the timeout/connection error, but I hit Retry and it worked. I have closed and reopened the Play Store a few times (clearing it from the Task switcher), and so far all is well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams