Will Any Upcoming 2014 Devices Have Expandable Memory?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been out of the loop for quite sometime. I may be upgrading my device in July, but the device descriptions I've seen have been vague and usually only list hardware specs (processor, camera, resolution), it seems concerns like a removable battery and expandable memory have gone to the way side. I really don't want to abandon my SDcard when upgrading. Are there going to be any devices that aren't a single enclosed piece of hardware? I understand the practicality and use a Nexus 7 (2013), I just don't want to leave the options out if there are capable new devices on the way.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I assume that TouchWiz for the Galaxy S5 will still be pretty bloated, making it necessary for Samsung to include expandable storage.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been out of the loop for quite sometime. I may be upgrading my device in July, but the device descriptions I've seen have been vague and usually only list hardware specs (processor, camera, resolution), it seems concerns like a removable battery and expandable memory have gone to the way side. I really don't want to abandon my SDcard when upgrading. Are there going to be any devices that aren't a single enclosed piece of hardware? I understand the practicality and use a Nexus 7 (2013), I just don't want to leave the options out if there are capable new devices on the way.
Nexus and HTC and Moto products won't have SD. Everything else probably will. Especially Samsung products (SD is produced by Samsung after all).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say everything else. Less companies are doing it now. Samsung, LG and Sony will have microSD support though.

Just use GSMArena or PhoneArena to check specs (although they might get it wrong once a while).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nexus and HTC and Moto products won't have SD. Everything else probably will. Especially Samsung products (SD is produced by Samsung after all).

Has htc been confirmed? The one max has a microSD slot. There was a Chinese variant of the one which had a microSD slot.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
All Sony and Samsung phones for now. LG might have a couple as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys! I may be avoiding Samsung devices in the future since they're really pushing Knox and modification is the main reason why I use Android. Hopefully something with an unlockable bootloader that can use SDcards and isn't the size of a small phonebook will be available (perhaps on AT&T, since Verizon is crazy about security)! Seems weird that these are key selling points for me now, but were just common 'features' only a couple years ago!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys! I may be avoiding Samsung devices in the future since they're really pushing Knox and modification is the main reason why I use Android. Hopefully something with an unlockable bootloader that can use SDcards and isn't the size of a small phonebook will be available (perhaps on AT&T, since Verizon is crazy about security)! Seems weird that these are key selling points for me now, but were just common 'features' only a couple years ago!

If "modification" and unlockable bootloaders are main reasons why you use Android, phones like the Google Play editions of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Z Ultra would suite you best.

You have options.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The S4 DE had an unlocked bootloader. Can't say about the s5, but good chance it would be the same

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!!!

It always goes back to the boot loader screen.

I don't know how to define "brick", but to me it can do nothing now.

Unfortunately I also have a budget, lol. I'd love to have a Play Edition device, they're just a little out of my limit. Out of everything I've seen the LG G Pro 2 looks nice, but it's huge! If I didn't buy a Nexus 7 so recently then I'd consider it. I should just get a hotspot and use that as my mobile device! :)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I also have a budget, lol. I'd love to have a Play Edition device, they're just a little out of my limit. Out of everything I've seen the LG G Pro 2 looks nice, but it's huge! If I didn't buy a Nexus 7 so recently then I'd consider it. I should just get a hotspot and use that as my mobile device! :)

Get a prepaid android phone that offers what you want or get a Note 3 or S5. Those are your options. Android has limited options in the past year or so. That's the nature of the beast. Or jump on another platform.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Get a prepaid android phone that offers what you want or get a Note 3 or S5. Those are your options. Android has limited options in the past year or so. That's the nature of the beast. Or jump on another platform.

Wow, when did these boards become XDA? No need to be rude. Just trying to have a friendly discussion.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow, when did these boards become XDA? No need to be rude. Just trying to have a friendly discussion.

Oh my I wasn't being rude. My apologies if I came off that way.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Has htc been confirmed? The one max has a microSD slot. There was a Chinese variant of the one which had a microSD slot.
Yes, apparently HTC FINALLY woke the hell up and added SD. It's confirmed through a leaked video. Too bad it took them almost dying to finally get it. I hope it came in time.

They also finally got rid of the hardware buttons....another bonus. So now you can truly have a Google Experience version of the One if you want. I find myself actually considering them again.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Nobody has mentioned tablets yet.

All the PC OEMs have expandable storage. Asus, Samsung, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Nvidia, etc. all make Android tablets with expandable storage.