Sold iPhone and switching to Android. Get Nexus 5 or something else?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I finally went ahead and sold my iPhone and am now looking to go back to a android phone. However, I'm unsure if I should just go with the nexus 5 or get a more expensive phone. I thought I'd go with the nexus 5 since its unlocked and is affordable. I am unable to upgrade through att so this phone would be purchased at fill price, and I figured the nexus 5 is the best option and I would be able to easily purchase the nexus 5 from the money I got from the sale (530 dollars)

Is the nexus 5 still a top of the line phone? Is there a better option for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: sold iPhone and switching to android, nexus 5? or something else?

So, I finally went ahead and sold my iPhone and am now looking to go back to a android phone. However, I'm unsure if I should just go with the nexus 5 or get a more expensive phone. I thought I'd go with the nexus 5 since its unlocked and is affordable. I am unable to upgrade through att so this phone would be purchased at fill price, and I figured the nexus 5 is the best option and I would be able to easily purchase the nexus 5 from the money I got from the sale (530 dollars)

Nexus 5 or the Moto X are your best bets. Both phones are still modern and will be for the forseable months. The Nexus 5 is my choice, but if you can afford it you might want to wait a month and see how much the Samsung Galaxy S5 is or the new HTC One

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 or the Moto X are your best bets. Both phones are still modern and will be for the forseable months. The Nexus 5 is my choice, but if you can afford it you might want to wait a month and see how much the Samsung Galaxy S5 is or the new HTC One

Well, since money is right eigjr now and I want to get a new smartphone asap (I'm currently using my old feature phone, lol) I think the nexus 5 is ideal. But was afraid that maybe its specs were already outdated considering how fast mobile moves these days. Has the nexus 5 held up as far as battery and performance?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Well, since money is right eigjr now and I want to get a new smartphone asap (I'm currently using my old feature phone, lol) I think the nexus 5 is ideal. But was afraid that maybe its specs were already outdated considering how fast mobile moves these days. Has the nexus 5 held up as far as battery and performance?

The problem these days is that technology moves so fast - you buy a phone then the following month there is somthing better out. The Nexus 5 is amazing for the money, I forget that i bought it cheap as it feels and performs like a high end phone should. I've had it almost 4 months now and I still cant fault it, the camera is excellent (in HDR + mode) the battery is 95% of the time excellent, easily gets me through the day while still have 35 - 40% left. I dont see the Nexus 5 being classed as 'out dated' for a long time. Even the Nexus 4 still performs excellently and just as fast.

laddie79

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

If I were wanting to spend a little less on a phone, I would without doubt go for the Nexus 5. Looks and feels great. In the UK, I haven't seen any MOTO X knocking around and not sure if it's here fully, but I would opt for the 'Google experience' on the Nexus 5. I currently have an S3 and if I feel in a few months I want a new phone but don't want to spend a great deal, it would be the nexus 5 without reservation.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

If your going out right you can't go past the nexus 5. Just going to say that, if on a plan I'll wait till some new big boys hit the market.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

What are the things that matter to you most? No Android phone is the best at everything. You will be compromising on something no matter which one you choose.

That being said, if you are coming from iOS, you will probably be most comfortable with the Nexus 5. It has high end specs, will see updates the longest, and will be the fastest/smoothest and most consistent experience.

The Nexus 5 has hardware comparable to the best Android phones out right now. It's not just that it's "amazing for the price"...if it was the same price as the S4 and G2, it would still be amazing.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Specs:
1080p IPS display
Snapdragon 800 CPU
USB OTG support
Wireless charging
NFC
OIS Camera

It is holding up very well. Those are all high end specs by Android standards. Even in 2014.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

What are the things that matter to you most? No Android phone is the best at everything. You will be compromising on something no matter which one you choose.

That being said, if you are coming from iOS, you will probably be most comfortable with the Nexus 5. It has high end specs, will see updates the longest, and will be the fastest/smoothest and most consistent experience.

The Nexus 5 has hardware comparable to the best Android phones out right now. It's not just that it's "amazing for the price"...if it was the same price as the S4 and G2, it would still be amazing.

The important things to me are update support, a fast, smooth experience, good battery life, and a good screen.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

The important things to me are update support, a fast, smooth experience, good battery life, and a good screen.

The Nexus 5 excels in all those departments. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

The display is 1080p, which is as good as anything out there. It is an IPS display, which is what Apple uses. It has been praised for it's color calibration which is very accurate. I personally love it because it is VERY bright...I can see it clearly in direct sunlight even with sunglasses on. I could not do that with any previous Android phones, and AMOLED displays are notoriously bad in this area. Despite it's brightness, the blacks are pretty deep on it, though not the best I have ever seen.

It is faster and smoother than any other Android device I have used so far, and maintains this smoothness even under heavy load or with things like live wallpaper running.

Battery life is not ideal, but is above average IMO.

60092.png

60091.png

60102.png

Source - AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review

howie782

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 but if battery life is deal breaker the moto x is great. you can't go wrong with either. I get decent days worth of medium using of nexus 5 but heavy usage will require battery pack to get through the day. It a wonderful phone and does everything I need plus some.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

If you want a fast phone and good hardware spec, Nexus 5 is probably more ideal than Moto X. Even newer phones still use Snapdragon 801 or 805, they aren't that much faster, in fact they may be slower due to their custom UI. Stock Android is blazing fast on new hardware. Nexus 5 also will receive Google updates faster than other phones.

The Moto X will have better battery life, but you might become unhappy with it due to weaker specs, not as good camera and lower screen res.

I would wait to see what the HTC M8 have to offer. There will be other interesting devices like Oppo Find 7 with 2k display.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I've never used the moto X but everyone seems to like it, I've owned two nexi5 so far and it's an awesome phone.

Note 3 ~ 5s

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

If still choose the G2.

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle