Your favorite Task Manager?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google Now/Google Keep. I've tried Any.Do over a couple of generations but it always feels like is not integrated with anything except itself. That, and since I'm on a Moto X, it's really easy to just say, "okay Google Now, set a reminder to buy caramel corn the next time I'm at Target" and have that literally happen.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I use "Any Do", but I am looking for alternative.
What is your favorite task management app and why?

I use Evernote and pay the premium $5 a month. I use Evernote to take notes in class (Type them on my Split X2 with Evernote desktop app), set up lists for things to do, Take photos of any written notes with my phone and keep random stuff I might forget otherwise in there. With premium I have separate journals and different tags for my school stuff so if I need just psychology notes I filter by the psychology tag. Here's a piece by the verge on Evernote:
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/10/3743350/verge-at-work-backing-up-your-brain-evernote

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why would I need a task manager? People still use those?

Oh...you mean like a notebook. Yeah I am using Google Keep. It's awesome. Love that it has a cloud backup. Wish I could share it though.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Google Now/Google Keep. I've tried Any.Do over a couple of generations but it always feels like is not integrated with anything except itself. That, and since I'm on a Moto X, it's really easy to just say, "okay Google Now, set a reminder to buy caramel corn the next time I'm at Target" and have that literally happen.
Maybe it has changed by now, but my big problem with this is there is no EASY way to mark things complete that I have found. I put in a reminder, "Remind me to get toothpaste at Target," it has me pick the Target, and then EVERY TIME I go to Target, it reminds me to buy toothpaste. The only way to get rid of the reminder is to dig through a bunch of menus to get to My Stuff in Google Now and delete the reminder. Is there some easier way to do it that I am not aware of?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I use my own that I made in Tasker. I tried Google Keep but the location based reminders just didn't work reliably enough. They'd always remind me when I was leaving the parking lot rather that when I got to the store. My whole system is pretty simple, it's just lists of text stored in text files with useful names (e.g. Target, Work, Grocery, etc.). It's nice because I can have a widget on my lock screen that displays the most useful list depending on where I'm at. I also have three widgets on one of my screens that I can change to show whatever list I want. I can add stuff to my lists using either a simple (i.e. crappy looking) UI I built in Tasker, using voice commands or from my tablet or from Chrome on a PC. I can also clear them with voice commands as well.

While there is a bunch of extra things you can get from other apps like integrating pictures, sub tasks or due dates and times that would be complicated to add to my version, I like knowing that I can add simple functionality without having to beg a developer. I also like having control of how it notifies me of my tasks and how it displays them.

I still use Google Now for time based reminders, though.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
VCOrganizer. Full function (Notes, Tasks, Contacts, Calendar), syncs to Outlook on desktop plus through to native People/Calendar apps, and developer is very responsive. Clostest thing to old Palm PIM apps or Pocket Informant I found. Plus - and this was key to me - best-by-far Outlook sync.

- R.

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
A895, the video at "Verge at work" page is really inspiring, especially when he references to a futuristic Analytical Mackine MEMEX by Electrical Engineer Vannevar Bush :)

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
JeffDenver, task manager too, I also need a tool which can help me finish my projects, for example software I develop, where I could create "project" for each program, split tasks to smaller ones, set deadlines to each, set percentage progress, etc. It's much more than Any.Do, because in fact Any.Do is really like a notebook, made for one purpose: not to forget to buy a toilet paper tomorrow.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A895, the video at "Verge at work" page is really inspiring, especially when he references to a futuristic Analytical Mackine MEMEX by Electrical Engineer Vannevar Bush :)

The Verge does some really great video work. That Evernote piece is what got me into Evernote. I realized that Evernote can be a very powerful tool if I put in the effort. Evernote is available on the web, Mac, windows 8 (desktop and metro apps), android, iOS, Windows Phone 8, and Blackberry 10. Use Evernote it will really improve how you work.

Posted via Android Central App

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The Verge does some really great video work. That Evernote piece is what got me into Evernote. I realized that Evernote can be a very powerful tool if I put in the effort. Evernote is available on the web, Mac, windows 8 (desktop and metro apps), android, iOS, Windows Phone 8, and Blackberry 10. Use Evernote it will really improve how you work.
Ok, will Evernote really allow me to manage software projects as described on this Wikipedia page: Project management software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I use both Tasks (tied to Google Tasks) and Evernote, for different purposes.

I've tried every task "to do" app I can find and none completely meets my needs. I prefer Tasks for the quickest/easiest user interface for frequent "to do" updates, along with easy sequencing and making one item a subset of another. My main complaint with it is a lack of support for recurring tasks.

I use Evernote (premium) for tracking reference information and for sharing things with others when needed.

I'm guessing one of these days Google will retire their tasks support and I'll need to find a second-best option - or one of the others will up their usability game and become my new preferred choice.

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I've just tested Evernote and Keep - none of them has such a simple function as recurring tasks! I can't set a reminder to repeat daily! Evernote raises $20M from Sequoia and unable to implement a primitive function?

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
They don't have recurring tasks, but they do have fancy parquet flooring, those wasted money could be spent to implement 10 variants of recurring tasks.
evernote-party.jpg

LucaForest

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I think proofhub's android app is the best app available in the market. I really like android app very easy to use. I think you guys must check it out as well.

StandardGames

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Your favorite Task Manager? Wunderlist!

Wunderlist is a wonderful cloud task manager. Entries per list are unlimited and you can star them, define repeating cycles, attach a voice message, add plain text notes, sub-checklists, files via URL/Dropbox, reminder time, due date to each single entry. You can also organize similar lists in folders and configure push-notes.

Wunderlist also has a collab-function, which allows you to share lists, assigne/receive entries and add comments to them. You may further print, mail, publish or mute tasks. Comes with a smooth slide & tap UI.

Works on basically everything and it's free. I use it both for work and personal stuff. It's a lot of stuff and still bloody well-arranged.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad