Android Devices vs. Laptops [Tech Geeks]

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm gearing this more towards Android power users -- not gamers, not any "heavy" user like that. I'm referring to techie users, programmers, people who do things online all the time, but nothing like gaming and such. What do you prefer, Android devices or a laptop? I know lots of programmers who say "I don't like paying a lot for little memory for huge devices. My device is always on me, I'm a root user and can program on my phone or tablet. The screen size may be the only annoying thing, otherwise I haven't touched a laptop." I'm looking for these types of people. What do you think? Can I replace my laptop with my Android device?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You could maybe look into an Android tablet to see how you'd like it. It all depends on your needs.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
You can also hook up to your tv to use it as a monitor with a bluetooth keyboard if you wanted to.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For productivity, I'd prefer a laptop running Chrome OS, Windows, or OS X for one simple reason: multiple windows.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm gearing this more towards Android power users -- not gamers, not any "heavy" user like that. I'm referring to techie users, programmers, people who do things online all the time, but nothing like gaming and such. What do you prefer, Android devices or a laptop? I know lots of programmers who say "I don't like paying a lot for little memory for huge devices. My device is always on me, I'm a root user and can program on my phone or tablet. The screen size may be the only annoying thing, otherwise I haven't touched a laptop." I'm looking for these types of people. What do you think? Can I replace my laptop with my Android device?
For productivity, I want a real laptop. Meaning Windows 8. For email and office stuff and photoshop...there are no Android devices that touch a Win8 laptop yet.

I do love Android, but it is not nearly ready to replace a Windows laptop yet. Android devices are a good stopgap if I am feeling lazy or am on the go and don't want to lug around a laptop. But they are a bandaid, not a replacement.

(I say this as an ASUS Transformer tf300 user...tablet + keybaord is NOT a laptop...not even close)

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
For productivity, I'd prefer a laptop running Chrome OS, Windows, or OS X for one simple reason: multiple windows.
I also like the Chrome OS. Still a little bit raw, but it's going towards something good. Plus Linux (if you'll get a decent Chromebook and can install it) and it'll be a great laptop.

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
What do you think? Can I replace my laptop with my Android device?

If you want digital PROductivity you need the horsepower and versatility of a real PC. If you only need digital consumption and general digital horsing around then a tablet or even a smartphone is fine.

It's like car racing on a race track: sure you can do laps there with a Chevy Volt, but a purpose-built, specially tuned bespoke race car gets you (much) better results...

Looks better too! :D

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If you want digital productivity you need the horsepower and versatility of a real PC. [...] It's like car racing on a race track: sure you can drive there with a Chevy Volt, but a purpose-built, specially tuned bespoke race car gets you better results...

The two aren't mutually exclusive; for example, if a large majority of one's online activities take place on websites and web apps (e.g. content in the Chrome Web Store's "For Your Desktop" category), a device running the aforementioned Chrome OS might be a good fit. Sure, you'll still want a "real PC" to run more traditional desktop applications (gaming included), that necessity is declining. Software and hardware optimizations (that started with mobile devices or recent advancements in web standards) are making their way back into environments that weren't traditionally designed in such a way. This is an easy way to maintain services across more than one platform, and the recent addition of the Chrome App Launcher to Windows is a great example of how this is accomplished.

Android-Windows hybrid devices may answer this question for some, but that may not be an option soon. Chrome OS is an option, as is a standard Android tablet. If you go with the latter, you may want to look into an MHL adapter for connecting an external display. The new MHL 3.0 standard also includes support for both multiple and touch-enabled external displays. :)

general digital horsing around

I need to remember that one... :p

Ealevenish

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I would say Android Device because it does replace my TV, GPS, dashcam, camera and office document

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1OpQSekxHE
Check out some of my video ...then you will know

I watched that one, Calvin. Sure, it works. It does the job. But TBH quality- and production-value-wise it looks and sounds like a dedicated hobbyist's video, a vacation video. Hardly like a professional video presentation. Sorry.

Amia BooMaster

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
And laptops are large, heavy devices not meant to be carried everywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

So? That doesn't change the facts. Oh and they are meant to be carried places, maybe not for a five year old but adults can do it.

Don't get me wrong tablets have their place but so do real computers.

Sent from my BEAST Note 3 using Tapatalk

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can. Some people use their phone to host their website or email server. It's a Linux computer after all.

sent via tapatalk

Really? So I can use my phone to create ASP.net sites, HTML5 sites, PHP, or Javascript sites?

I can use my phone to install Oracle or SQL Server and hold databases for users?

I can use my phone to potentially host dozens of clients who are connecting to my phone and running processor and memory intense tasks 24/7?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon