is a file ".rhmsoft" safe to delete??

g00dbyeapple

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had my phone for only 2 months and today I got a notice that I have less than 1GB remaining. I was surprised to see this, as I haven't installed that many apps. So I went into storage and looked at what was taking up so much space, I saw a file called ".rhmsoft" using nearly 4GB of space. Does anyone know what this is for? A web search brings up nothing of value, except some file manager software that I have never used. Searching with ES File Explorer brings up a few files and folders such as "com.rhmsoft.fm-***". The other odd thing is that when I add up the file size of all the files found it's less than 11 MB. I'm stumped as to what they are so if anyone can let me know that would be great.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! "rhmsoft" looks like it's a company called Rhythm Software, and they make a number of apps. Take a look at their website and see if any of them are installed: Rhythm Software | Enjoy Your Android!

What device do you have? If your phone was advertised has having 4 GB of storage, keep in mind that this means there is usually only about 1 GB or so available to the user, since 2-3 GB are taken up by the OS and other bloatware. Since Android relies on this internal storage for app installation, it means that these kinds of low-storage phones are pretty limited in terms of the number of apps you can install. External microSD cards don't solve this issue, because you generally can't move apps to the SD card--they're mostly intended for storage of media files like music and videos.

See this guide for more information. http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

g00dbyeapple

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a rooted Galaxy S3 running Cyanogenmod/Android 4.4 with 16GB of internal storage which is why I'm surprised I'm running out of space. I looked at their site as you suggested and I did install File Manager but that's only a 2.76MB file.

I wouldn't mind just moving to my external SD card (64GB), but I can't locate the file that "Storage" is claiming is nearly 4GB in size.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are TouchWiz and all of the typical Samsung bloat already deleted, or is it backed up somewhere on Internal Storage? Considering that it typically takes up around 7-8 GB of storage, it might still be limiting your storage space unless you completely got rid of it.

The big file might be some kind of cache file. Have you tried to clear File Manager's cache?

g00dbyeapple

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I took a look at it connected to my PC, and found that one of my linux files was the cause of the size discrepancy. I'll call it a win, even though the file was located in the download folder yet being reported in the .rhmsoft folder through Android's file system.