Google Hangouts: Google's logic in improving iOS version before Android

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I dont know if this has been discussed before or what not, but what exactly is Google motivation in releasing a much superior Google Hangouts to IOS first? I feel like I am using the IOS version of the app on my own Android phone. I dont understand the logic that I cant initiate calls from my Android, but my Itouch can. I dont understand the logic that I cant send video clips from my Android(yet I can receive them) but my itouch can. Half of these new features could have been added. I can understand the calling part, or the video part. But UI improvements should be relatively easy to improve over time. They obviously have two separate development teams for Android and IOS. And the IOS team is winning.

Even the quick options,color coded convos and sent picture previews look better than the Android version... But why? Google Hangouts has been on Android longer than IOS. Yet they are both 2.0 versions.
page_hangouts-ios7-1.jpg page_hangouts-ios7-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Hangouts and Google's logic in improving to their OWN apps.

iOS has always been shinier. The functionality split is more disappointing. If the feature is ready on one platform first, though, they're right to release it. The alternative would be sitting on the new code until the Android version had caught up, and Google is a services company: If they have a new feature to offer, they want to get people using it, regardless of which platform they're on.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a coder, so I don't know. All I can say is hopefully it's worth the wait. The unified communications potential of Hangouts is awesome, but it's all in the execution.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
iOS reportedly earns google more revenue than android, so if this is true, I am not surprised if google opts to prioritize development of iOS apps first.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure it's a matter of priorities. Google does a massive amount of development work on Android, both for apps and the OS itself. Their iOS programmers probably have a lot less to do, so what they do have goes faster. I imagine that making an iOS app is also more straightforward in many ways, given the limited number of iOS device types.