Why the hate for Nokia X series phones on AndroidCentral ?

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
After reading many comments to various articles regarding the recent news of launch of Android powered Nokia X series of phones here on AndroidCentral,i sensed a feeling of general hostility towards Nokia which took me by surprise.I understand you guys here are fans of Android and want it to see dominate the world and you have always wanted Nokia to make Android phones yet now that they have done so,you guys laugh it off and bash Nokia for its strategy and call it a fail.
I get that the main bone of contention for you guys is that Nokia removed all the Google services and replaced it with its own and MS's services but what is the big deal about it?Their target market is people who otherwise have bought ultra low end no name Android devices who dont really care about apps and services other than what is bundled with the phone and dont care which Android version their phones are running.You want Nokia to make a full fledged hi end Android handset with latest OS and google services but it will not a profitable endeavour for Nokia.Nokia wants to attract new Android customers and feature phone owners who otherwise would not buy a Lumia device because it does not run Android.This way people can benefit by the Android OS while also getting a taste of Nokia and MS's if i may say impressive eco-system and upgrading to a Lumia in the future.
The fact that there is so much negativity and hostility here while on WPCentral almost everyone was celebrating the news as a positive step forward for everyone not just Nokia makes me wonder why so much hate from you guys ?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't hate the phone, but I do dislike the fact that, like you said, there is no Google services, and the nature of the phone's hardware. Moto showed the world that a phone can be inexpensive and have a good hardware/software pairing.

I think if Nokia had managed to integrate some of the Windows apps and installed Google ones, that would have eased much of the backlash.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
i guess most of pplz didn't get the point of the new Nokia X series, some are bitten and very few (mostly Nokia fans and WP users) got the point and celebrated Nokia's smart strategy lol

sent from my Moto G <3

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any animosity towards it, I just think it's a terrible device. It's running software from 2012 (and only half of it at that), with terrible hardware. A 4" 480p screen, garbage camera that can only shoot 480p video, a 2012 processor with 2012 RAM levels, almost no internal storage (terrible idea on an Android) and an absolutely garbage battery. What people wanted to see was a Lumia 1520 with all of the microsoft-related stuff stripped out and replaced by Android (all of it). Having an overlay is fine, many OEM's do it, but making a garbage phone that happens to run Android isn't doing anyone any favors on any front, anywhere. What's the celebration based on? Anyone looking for a budget Android device has many and more much much much better options that aren't crippled in any way.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I get that the main bone of contention for you guys is that Nokia removed all the Google services and replaced it with its own and MS's services but what is the big deal about it?
1) It's not a real Android phone.

2) Because of that, it has stripped out much of what makes Android appealing in the first place. It's a jack of few trades and a master of none.

3) It's basically an admission from Nokia that Metro is not enough to get people to buy their phones.

I don't hate them personally...I'd buy that before I would buy a real Windows phone. It won't be enough to save Nokia of MS though.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
but you guys STILL miss the point!

the Nokia X Series is supposed to sell on emergent markets, where many pplz still has dumb phones and doesen't have enough money for a decent smartphone and we all now low-end Androids are crap (except the king Moto G ofc...but some pplz can't afford even that)

so i think the X Series will be interesting! and come on guys...Android is open source, Nokia is doing no wrong lol and it will be compatible with Android apps!

and thats why they won't even sell it on USA, because it's NOT targeted at that kind of market!

generally on 1st world countries pplz want the latest flagship with the latest tech and Android version...even if they pay 600 d?lars just for FB and Instagram lol

but on 3rd world countries, MANY pplz can't afford flagships and sometimes not even mid-end! so they go with that crappy Galaxy Y stuck on 2.3 forever and ever! it's not like many of them rly care about the OS version too...as long as it works and they can access Facebook and stuff, its enough!

sent from my Moto G

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The idea is good and I prefer to think of Nokia X as only a first step towards "hybridization". I'd like to see the implementation of advantages the both OS have. But Huawei plans seems more interesting at this point.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The idea is good and I prefer to think of Nokia X as only a first step towards "hybridization". I'd like to see the implementation of advantages the both OS have. But Huawei plans seems more interesting at this point.

In actually more interested in Firefox OS. They are making a $25 smartphone. I really want to see a High end Firefox phone though.

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
In actually more interested in Firefox OS. They are making a $25 smartphone. I really want to see a High end Firefox phone though.

I'm more than sure that Firefox OS, just like WP, will stumble upon the same problem - lack of good apps. The market today is practically homogeneous - Android and iOS. Even though I really look forward to buying a WP smartphone (don't know why, but I like them...simply LIKE), and even though experts foretell them market domination in 5-10 years, today they are not popular due to price and apps. That's why i'm waiting for hybrids.

And I don't think that a 25$ device can have decent specs. Even with great customization they'll lack power.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm more than sure that Firefox OS, just like WP, will stumble upon the same problem - lack of good apps. The market today is practically homogeneous - Android and iOS. Even though I really look forward to buying a WP smartphone (don't know why, but I like them...simply LIKE), and even though experts foretell them market domination in 5-10 years, today they are not popular due to price and apps. That's why i'm waiting for hybrids.

And I don't think that a 25$ device can have decent specs. Even with great customization they'll lack power.

Firefox has an advantage being that they use web apps compared to proprietary apps that WP requires. The $25 smartphone is for emerging markets but, it is interesting nevertheless. I wanted a windows phone too, but they have compromises in software ability. If anything I would get a BlackBerry before a WP. BB10 is a very feature rich and powerful OS.

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

the Nokia X Series is supposed to sell on emergent markets, where many pplz still has dumb phones and doesen't have enough money for a decent smartphone and we all now low-end Androids are crap (except the king Moto G ofc...but some pplz can't afford even that)

so i think the X Series will be interesting! and come on guys...Android is open source, Nokia is doing no wrong lol and it will be compatible with Android apps!

and thats why they won't even sell it on USA, because it's NOT targeted at that kind of market!

generally on 1st world countries pplz want the latest flagship with the latest tech and Android version...even if they pay 600 d?lars just for FB and Instagram lol

but on 3rd world countries, MANY pplz can't afford flagships and sometimes not even mid-end! so they go with that crappy Galaxy Y stuck on 2.3 forever and ever! it's not like many of them rly care about the OS version too...as long as it works and they can access Facebook and stuff, its enough!

sent from my Moto G

Interesting? Yes. Doing nothing "wrong"? Technically yes.

I linked to the article I did because I agree with it. It's a broken experience for the user. When and if they are ready for a higher end smartphone they won't have an easy transition to either OS. It's not a good android experience at all.

It's not a good "windows phone" experience either because you're running android apps. Also, where do they expect you to get these apps?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

What exactly makes these Nokia phones better than a comparably priced Android phone? Can you give me some examples?

Who is complaining about that? We can still criticize it without demanding it be removed from the market.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
What exactly makes these Nokia phones better than a comparably priced Android phone? Can you give me some examples?

the fact it will be like super cheap and that u didn't seem to understand what i said?

some pplz just DOESEN'T care about OS and ****, they want a cheap phone that works...crappy low-ends gives crappy experience and the MOST funny thing is pplz are judging the X Series without knowing or seeing one lol what if irl it actually gives good performance?

and why does muricas even care? Nokia ain't selling X Series in the US lol they already know pplz will hate it there and bash it to death...because it's a totally different proposition but all pplz see is "bad hardware, android with MS stuff, failure"

well just watch how the phone will do first, since it isn't even aimed at the flagship whores...this might actually sell well in 3rd world countries!

sent from my Moto G <3

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
the fact it will be like super cheap and that u didn't seem to understand what i said?
So you are saying you have no actual examples? What price do you consider "super cheap"?

some pplz just DOESEN'T care about OS
Everyone cares about OS. Otherwise, why are they upgrading at all? If they did not care, they would just use what they have or whatever is cheapest.

they want a cheap phone that works...
So why buy Nokia then? Why not just keep what they have or buy an even-cheaper dumb phone?

I have not seen any evidence at all that these Nokia phones are cheaper than Android phones. It seems to be an assumption you are making.

crappy low-ends gives crappy experience
Um...didn't you just say people don't care? That "they want a cheap phone that works"?

and why does muricas even care? Nokia ain't selling X Series in the US lol they already know pplz will hate it there and bash it to death...because it's a totally different proposition but all pplz see is "bad hardware, android with MS stuff, failure"
There are already better Android options available, even outside of America.

well just watch how the phone will do first, since it isn't even aimed at the flagship whores...this might actually sell well in 3rd world countries!
Android already sells better. Android does not have 80% world marketshare because of America...in America Apple actually takes a good portion of the marketshare. The bulk of Android marketshare is because it sells so well OUTSIDE of the US.

Why are you angry anyway? Why do you care what Americans think about your phone?

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
cheap phone that works =/= crappy low ends lol

the greatest fact is everyone is assuming everything about this phone, even me...we are judging it without seeing reviews or how it works irl!

if it actually turns out good, what ya'll gonna say? lol

and i said it MIGHT sell WELL in 3rd world countries, not that it will sell better than Android o_O

the fact it is aimed at 3rd world countries is because it's where pplz want cheap phones and many pplz still have dumbphones...so why not put an X Series there so this person has more options to choose from?

well...all this hatred will lead nowhere so i'll just stop arguing lol because arguing with haters it's a waste of time

i believe this phone can do good and that's it

sent from my Moto G

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
cheap phone that works =/= crappy low ends lol

the greatest fact is everyone is assuming everything about this phone, even me...we are judging it without seeing reviews or how it works irl!
We don't have any reason to give it the benefit of the doubt. It combines a watered down WP interface with stripped options from Android apps...it is literally the worst of both worlds.

The 1 million figure was inflated (it is not actually 1 million pre-prders) and 1 million is a drop in the well for the foreign market anyway.

if it actually turns out good, what ya'll gonna say? lol
I guess we will never know since that will not happen, for all the reasons I just mentioned. There are already better alternatives, even for the low end.

and i said it MIGHT sell WELL in 3rd world countries, not that it will sell better than Android o_O
That is called equivocation.

And in any event, you are basically agreeing with me. There is nothing special or appealing about it...Android phones will still be preferable for most people.

the fact it is aimed at 3rd world countries is because it's where pplz want cheap phones and many pplz still have dumbphones...so why not put an X Series there so this person has more options to choose from?
Who is saying they should not? Who here is demanding that people in 3rd world countries not have access to these phones?

I don't expect it to succeed because there are already better phones available for the same price range. Most people will not be buying these.

well...all this hatred will lead nowhere
Not sure where you got the idea that there is any hatred involved. Being critical of a piece of technology is not "hatred". I gave specific reasons for my opinion.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My only problem with it is that it's Android 4.1. It should be at least Android 4.4 simply because Android 4.4 was supposedly designed to run better at those specs.

I'm all for Microsoft and Nokia putting their own services on top of Android. Google does the same thing to Android. So does Amazon. THIS IS WHAT IS SO AWESOME ABOUT ANDROID.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My only problem with it is that it's Android 4.1. It should be at least Android 4.4 simply because Android 4.4 was supposedly designed to run better at those specs.

That's what is awesome about the Moto G. Low price, updated hardware, just clearly not a "flagship", but it's very close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol