Reading books on 4.5" 720p or 5" 720p or 5.5" 720p comparison

Which is better 720p display for reading?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sherdil

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What would be better for reading books on a phone?
4.5" 720p or 5" 720p or 5.5" 720p ?

Would be great if anyone can post pictures of same book on these different sizes if you have them. I have only used dumb phones till now and never read on them so I'm completely clueless right now.

There are some really good phone of these sizes under 18,000 INR.
I want Moto G only size is holding me back.
Full HD 1080p will be costly, will demand more battery/GPU, heavy games might lag on a mid-range 1080p phone plus 720p is enough for reading books I guess.

You can also suggest good phones for these sizes.
I'm considering 4.5" Moto G OR 5" Xolo Q1100 (local) or Zen Ultrafone HD (its cheap) OR 5.5" upcoming HTC Desire 816.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i have read on 4, 4.7, 5, 6, 7, and 10 inch screens. the 6 inch display is on a nook simple touch, which is a dedicated e-reader with e-ink display. that happens to be my favorite reader.

as far as phones go, 5" is the smallest i am comfortable with, but even with that i can't say i'm happy. i haven't ever gotten my hands on a larger phone, but i'd sure like to try a 5.3 screen. for some reason i'm thinking that might be the optimum size. i look for time to time for a note 2, but they cost too much for me.

out of the choices given, 5.5" would be best imo if you intend to do alot of reading.

fwiw, if you intend to read any pdf's, forget about smaller screens. they don't render well. even on a 7" tablet, no good. haven't tried an 8" tablet, thinking that might be ok for pdf.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The G is already an established device. That is a good phone for the money. As for the others, I am not so sure. The next best option would be the Desire 816.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can easily notice the difference between the note 2 and rezound (4.3") screen. The rezound is much sharper. I don't have my note 2 anymore so can't do a comparison though.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

sherdil

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Reading books on 4.5" 720p or 5" 720p or 5.5" 720p comparison

I can easily notice the difference between the note 2 and rezound (4.3") screen. The rezound is much sharper. I don't have my note 2 anymore so can't do a comparison though.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

so which one are you suggesting? would be reading for 3-4 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

The G is already an established device. That is a good phone for the money. As for the others, I am not so sure. The next best option would be the Desire 816.

from reading point of view?

sherdil

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
i have read on 4, 4.7, 5, 6, 7, and 10 inch screens. the 6 inch display is on a nook simple touch, which is a dedicated e-reader with e-ink display. that happens to be my favorite reader.

as far as phones go, 5" is the smallest i am comfortable with, but even with that i can't say i'm happy. i haven't ever gotten my hands on a larger phone, but i'd sure like to try a 5.3 screen. for some reason i'm thinking that might be the optimum size. i look for time to time for a note 2, but they cost too much for me.

out of the choices given, 5.5" would be best imo if you intend to do alot of reading.

fwiw, if you intend to read any pdf's, forget about smaller screens. they don't render well. even on a 7" tablet, no good. haven't tried an 8" tablet, thinking that might be ok for pdf.

you like the 6" e-ink reader so 5.5" would be good to read on too I guess.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

so which one are you suggesting? would be reading for 3-4 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

from reading point of view?

I was more commenting based on the choices you laid out. The G is a good hanset, the second I have not heard of (sometimes not a good thing), and the third isn't out yet, so difficult to say if it will be a good device or not.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

just a suggestion. if you truly intend to do a bunch of reading, in the range of 3-4 hours a day, get a dedicated ereader. you can pick up a nook simple touch for cheap these days...less than 50 bucks. don't know the price of a kindle. you would not regret it. the e ink display is much easier on the eyes, and you are talking weeks on a charge as opposed to hours on a charge with a phone.

3-4 hours of reading on a phone will eat up a charge, and then what if you get a phone call?:)

and something to look into is a yotaphone....don't know if they are in production yet, or will be available everywhere, but they might be cool to have...one side of the phone is e-ink! not sure of the screen size of the e-ink side. probably in the specs somewhere.

http://yotaphone.com/#/en/techspecs/

Last edited:

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading electrons books since 2007. I've read on device.With screen sizes from 4"-10". With LCD, SAMOLED, and eInk. Loved eink but ultimately my favorite reading format is SAMOLED since I do equal amounts of reading during the day and at night. The true black really makesta difference and allows one to set the screen really dark and easy on the eyes.

The Moto X/G have SAMOLED screens but the low resolution might cause you some discomfort.

I can tell you i notice the difference between my Galaxy S/nook/eink vs my Note3. I could see the pixels on the other devices but on my Note3 I can't. The Note3 is a gorgeous SAMOLED screen and i wouldn't trade it for nothing.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
There are two issues: general convenience, and then what are you using it for? One answer is not right for everything.

Size is useful to a point. I'd pick the 5.5 to read ebooks, but I read great on a 5.0 now. The 4.5 would work, too for that purpose.

Too much size is counterproductive at times. I have a 10.1 tablet. I rarely get it out to read ebooks, much preferring my 5.0 phone. Thing is, it is easier to hold the light and more compact phone. I can read with one hand simply. (Try rolling over in bed to read on your side with a 10.1 tablet..) I can also have it with me all the time, too, unlike the tablet. A 5.0 is a convergence device (so, too, a 5.5.). When it passes the point where that is not true, then size becomes counterproductive for many uses.

This answer changes depending on use, of course. I use the tablet all the time for Zinio magazines. With the "magazine duplicate" format they have, it is not just text as with an ebook. A Zinio magazine is far easier on a bigger screen. At that point, the bigger the better. I rarely read on my phone.