is YouTube and Facebook blocked in China?

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if these two sites were blocked in China and also what other things do they block on China?

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The US are much worse already. No other country monitors and stores internet traffic more than the US. No other country's citizens have less protection of their internet privacy than US citizens!

I thought we left tin foil hats at the door on android central.

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I see you like to live in a fantasy world.

Oh no. I don't blame the entire federal government for the actions of one cabinet that even spies on other members of the government.

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

silverdroid09

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have friends living in China and they say that you need to know "ways" to use youtube and facebook there...
It's generally blocked by the government.

watchadhoc

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
According to Wikipedia, there are about 2600 popular websites that are blocked in mainland China. I think the latest was Google so you really need to find ways to access these blocked sites and one way is to use a VPN. When I was there last month taking a vacation, I was lucky that I am using ZenVPN that isn't on their list yet because some popular VPNs are also on their blocked list. I was able to access Facebook with no hassle.

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I was just wondering if these two sites were blocked in China and also what other things do they block on China?

Posted via Android Central App

Yes, almost all Social Media like FB, Youtube, Twitter, etc are blocked in China.
Although most of the reliable VPN providers are iPhone compatible, I'm afraid, many common VPN protocols are closed either so you might not be able to access blocked websites even by common. So before subscribing to any VPN service, ensure that it will work in china.
Last year,when I trip to china, purevpn app successfully helped me to bypass the restriction. I have no idea about the situation now as the sophisticated Chinese firewall keeps upgrading however one of the things it asks when it sets up the software is where you're based - with the two answer you can give being:

1) China
2) Rest of the world

So I'd be pretty confident that they still have that all locked down - so to speak.

Hope it could help.

FlareStorm

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
However, major hollywood blockbusters (think Transformers) do go over there. In fact Hollywood tailor makes them to make them more accessible to the chinese public and push ideas like "industry is great" and "America is awesome."

And they eat it up...the movies make more money over there. Which shows they are desperate for exposure to non-Chinese ideas and cultural exposure. So its a shame that much of the internet is blocked because it is obvious that the people crave access to a more expansive pool of ideas and information.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20