The mobile OS war is over

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
...plummeting marketshare...

View attachment 109538

That just means that more people are entering the smartphone market, not that Apple is selling less. They increase sales every year, and will continue to be fine. I think that having only 3 phones, and being the U.S. carriers' best seller 99.9% of the time against hundreds of Android phones is pretty good. Not everyone wants a computer in their pocket to do "computer stuff", and the iPhone well serves their needs. Add to that the unbeatable resale value, and the incomparable customer service, and it says that Apple is doing fine and will for years to come. Plus, who knows what is up their sleeve for the iPhone 6.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why are all those people buying Android instead of Apple? What is Android giving them that Apple cannot?

Low prices? 5.5"+ displays? ...or a user experience that they prefer. There are those, that are not ignorant, that do actually prefer the android user experience.

via the tablet

livendive

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Probably.

I don't see that at all in the US market. iPhones and Android flagships come in around the same on-contact price and people in the US still buy phones on-contact. That's changing now with what T-Mobile has done but I don't full-retail buyers make up any significant amount of customers.

Apple wants $650 for their base iPhone 5S. AT&T wants $640 for the HTC One. Verizon wants for the HTC One $600. T-Mobile wants $660 for the Samsung Galaxy S5. Sprint wants $650 for the Samsung Galaxy S5. The "premium" Apple product falls right in-line but perception is killer.

Of course ecosystem is also a consideration. Compare Android phone + Chromebook + Chromecast to iPhone + Macbook Air + Apple TV and you find a laughable difference.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Windows has never been a walled garden system.

You must have missed MS' first 20 years then: Microsoft invented the walled garden for consumer ICT (starting with Word and Office in the eighties, which would only run on Windows platforms and were incompatible with anything else)! And Steve Jobs was so jealous of its commercial success – it made Microsoft by far the largest ICT company and Bill Gates the richest man in the world – that he copied the 'business model' after he launched OSX in 1999 (actually with iTunes/iPod), but exploited it even 'better'! Google is trying to do it too.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You must have missed MS' first 20 years then: Microsoft invented the walled garden for consumer ICT (starting with Word and Office in the eighties, which would only run on Windows platforms and were incompatible with anything else)!
So what? You had alternatives...Microsoft did not forbid you to install anything you wanted on Windows. Microsoft has never limited you to a specific store where you can buy/install stuff, and has never forbid you from changing your settings or modifying the system. They have never forbid you from installing windows on certain hardware.

"Walled Garden" does not mean what you think it means.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The increase must be overseas, since Apple is gaining marketshare in the U.S., so it must be the overseas prices.
Apple was already ahead of Android to begin with...why is it needing to catch up at all? what happened to it's marketshare lead?

smartphone-oss-ii.jpg

In 2009, Apple was ahead of Android. Why is it not still ahead?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So what? You had alternatives...Microsoft did not forbid you to install anything you wanted on Windows. Microsoft has never limited you to a specific store where you can buy/install stuff, and has never forbid you from changing your settings or modifying the system. They have never forbid you from installing windows on certain hardware.

In Windows 8 you can only install Metro apps from the included app store, which is owned and controlled by Microsoft. Try again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
In Windows 8 you can only install Metro apps from the included app store
LOL! Who told you that? I have installed tons of programs from outside the official store. In fact, I don't think I have a single Metro app installed on my Windows 8 machine at all.

EDIT - Unless you are talking about "Windows Phone" (in which case I agree). "Windows" usually means the desktop OS to me. They are not the same OS.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
LOL! Who told you that? I have installed tons of programs from outside the official store. In fact, I don't think I have a single Metro app installed on my Windows 8 machine at all.

EDIT - Unless you are talking about "Windows Phone" (in which case I agree). "Windows" usually means the desktop OS to me. They are not the same OS.

That explains it. I specified Metro apps, not legacy desktop apps.

Funny how you have no Metro apps installed on your Windows 8 computer.

Eventually the Windows legacy desktop will be dead. Honestly, I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I'm not saying I want the ability to run legacy apps taken away, but it needs to be done better.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
That explains it. I specified Metro apps, not legacy desktop apps. Funny how you have no Metro apps installed on your Windows 8 computer.
Why is it funny? I don't have them because they are superfluous. I don't need them. You can call them "legacy apps" if you want, but the fact remains that the vast majority of new software for the Windows platform is not appearing on the Metro app store. And Microsoft is not insisting I only buy from their store.

Eventually the Windows legacy desktop will be dead.
I disagree. I think a lot of people wish it would die, but I don't think it is going anywhere. Even Microsoft is resigned to that fact now.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
So what? You had alternatives...

No realistic alternatives in a world where 95% of business/enterprise PCs were DOS/Windows-based and private PC ownership was just starting. If you had a Windows PC at home you could get most of the important software for 'free'! From the boss (who of course wasn't necessarily aware of it, or looked the other way). On floppy discs. Remember those? I do. Anyway, that was a huge incentive. Big cost savings.
Another huge incentive was that you could ask sysops at work for help. There were no helpdesks in those days. No Youtube How-To's. No forums.
Sysops knew DOS/Windows. And about dissecting and rebuilding hardware. Who better to ask for help in a world without internet or helpdesks? Who else?
Bottom line: users were dependent on what happened in the enterprise world. And that was 95% DOS/Windows.
So the great majority had no real alternatives if they wanted a PC at home.

Microsoft did not forbid you to install anything you wanted on Windows. Microsoft has never limited you to a specific store where you can buy/install stuff, and has never forbid you from changing your settings or modifying the system. They have never forbid you from installing windows on certain hardware.

True, Microsoft didn't lock in. Only out. Which was virtually suicidal with a 95% elephant in the same pen. Nearly choked Apple too. But they were kept afloat by the creative community. Graphical artists, advertising, audio studios, the printing industry, etc. And then, with OSX and iTunes/iPods, Apple added lock-in to the mix.

I've watched it grow out of control from infancy.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
No realistic alternatives in a world where 95% of business/enterprise PCs were DOS/Windows-based and private PC ownership was just starting.
My point being, the problem was not Microsoft. It was not a walled garden because there were no walls. Microsoft was not forbidding you to use alternate stores or telling you what hardware you can install it on. So when I said "windows has never been a walled garden" thats what I meant. The platform itself was open, because you did not need to hack it to get these options.

I am old enough to remember Windows back then.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why is it funny? I don't have them because they are superfluous. I don't need them. You can call them "legacy apps" if you want, but the fact remains that the vast majority of new software for the Windows platform is not appearing on the Metro app store. And Microsoft is not insisting I only buy from their store.

I disagree. I think a lot of people wish it would die, but I don't think it is going anywhere. Even Microsoft is resigned to that fact now.

I have a Surface 2. Runs Windows RT. Guess where my apps have to come from?

And really some of them are done quite well like Netflix and a few of the network specific video apps from ABC and Fox.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae