Which is worse? HTC keeping 4mp camera or Samsung keeping plastic design?

Azim Malik

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: U rather have s5 plastic design over htc 4mp or vice versa?

I would say..that none of them would make a great phone.. but still I would rate the HTC higher.. I have been using the HTC One for a year now.. and I have faced some issues.. purple tint... you might know of it... I got the camera replaced at the service center and its working pretty good.. The design of the phone is awesome..it feels good in your hand.. if you do not have a case on... (I use a UAG case).. its better to have a case...because these things are prone to damage anytime... so better be prepared... The 4MP camera..FYI..is too good.... its actually 4UMP...I dont find a Samsung Galaxy's photo to be too good when compared to that of the HTC One... or maybe it could be that I'm consoling myself..lol.... But i find it pretty good.. the audio is mindblowing!!!!.... what i dont understand is..in a time when people look for performance and longevity..... u are so concerned with the camera like those girls in #SELFIE.. haha... its upto you what you choose... Remember one thing.... NO PHONE IS PERFECT.. No matter how meticulously the phone is manufactured/designed it still will have some or the other glitches.... so..just go..n buy a phone..that suits your requirement instead of asking someone...."Should i buy an apple or an orange?"..... :D

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: U rather have s5 plastic design over htc 4mp or vice versa?

I would say..that none of them would make a great phone.. but still I would rate the HTC higher.. I have been using the HTC One for a year now.. and I have faced some issues.. purple tint... you might know of it... I got the camera replaced at the service center and its working pretty good.. The design of the phone is awesome..it feels good in your hand.. if you do not have a case on... (I use a UAG case).. its better to have a case...because these things are prone to damage anytime... so better be prepared... The 4MP camera..FYI..is too good.... its actually 4UMP
Yeah, to this day I am not seeing what makes ultrapixels any better. It is certainly not showing up in actual sample images.

But i find it pretty good.. the audio is mindblowing!!!!....
Thats the one bragging point HTC has left...the speaker audio is way better than anything else out right now.

what i dont understand is..in a time when people look for performance and longevity..... u are so concerned with the camera like those girls in #SELFIE.. haha...
Ironically, the new HTC is actually one of the best cameras for selfies, with a 5MP front camera. But no one cares about front cameras...you do not need a high end camera for selfies.

its upto you what you choose... Remember one thing.... NO PHONE IS PERFECT..
I agree. That does not mean one phone is not better than another. Why would you not want to get the best phone possible for the same money?

And a lot of people do not buy phones more than once every 18 months, so that is why the smart ones spend time researching. Because whatever you buy you will be stuck with for at least a year or two. I had my Droid 1 and HTC Rezound for the full term of my 20 month contract.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Explain terrible...
Noticeably worse in most ways compared to other phones of the same price (or even half the price, in the case of the Nexus). If you are paying premium prices you should be getting premium quality IMO.

Neither of those are the best images, anyone can see that. But, are they terrible?
One is obviously much worse than the other. Guess which one is the cheaper one. Should a phone that is costing half as much have a camera that is better?

It's funny to me (a jab at no one) but I remember folks saying that you don't buy a phone for its camera, and I kinda agree with that, but it seems to be the exact thing that people are complaining about and holding off on a phone.
Because back in the days when people were saying that, phone cameras were a lot worse. The low-light capability of current generation smartphone cameras especially is awesome compared to what they were like in the past. There is less and less reason to carry around a DSLR now. And you can see this in the defensiveness DSLR snobs display on forums like this.

Smartphones will never reach parity with DSLRs, but IMO they will eventually get so close that most people will not bother buying DSLRs anymore. Low-light and optical zoom are the next great frontiers for smartphones. And dual-lens tech coming in the next year or two may advance both.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd say the 4MP camera is WORSE than Samsung's use of plastic. I've put one of the best and best looking cases on my S5 anywho, the Tech21 Impact. ...so I don't see the Band-Aid looking plastic rear shield anyways.

Hi5 to the sV

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I found an oxidized aluminum back for my old galaxy S4. I couldn't rightly find a camera replacement for a One. As much as I hate Samsung, they win that round.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't that long about that people were saying you don't buy a phone for its camera.
That was back before cameras got really good. Before they had good lowlight performance. Before 8MP was considered low end. Before they had good color reproduction. Before they could shoot 120fps OIS video. A lot has changed.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That was back before cameras got really good. Before they had good lowlight performance. Before 8MP was considered low end. Before they had good color reproduction. Before they could shoot 120fps OIS video. A lot has changed.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. The turning point came when phones started coming with cameras that were a reasonable replacement for point and shoot cameras. No, not the high end stuff and those monster DSLRs.... the workhorse cameras people would lug around for going to the beach, parties, etc.... Now people can legitimately put those things away and just use their phones.... The tipping point was, what, 2012? When they first started putting halfway decent 8MP shooters in most of the flagships?

My Nexus 5 might not take pictures quite as good as my wife's Cannon, but it's pretty close... and the added features of the Nexus 5 (hauling around 1 vs two devices, automatic backup online, quick sharing with family, and a long list of others).... She rarely, if ever, uses that P&S anymore.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a really nice touchscreen 8MP Sony P&S that I picked up 2006 that I have absolutely no reason to use nowadays due to the quality of the shooters in my S5 and Note 3. I think I may gift it to my stepdaughter. Today's phones have excellent 'everyday' cameras.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Phones still don't do optical zoom so there is still a use for prosumer level point and shoot cameras. Not every picture is taken at a distance of less than 10 feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Phones still don't do optical zoom so there is still a use for prosumer level point and shoot cameras. Not every picture is taken at a distance of less than 10 feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I guess that depends on your uses. I have a couple of DSLR ProSumer Sony Alphas that I'd use for anything that the Samsungs fell short of. I'm gonna do some comparisons between the S5, Note 3, Sony point-n-shoot, and Sony Alpha a700. ...it'll be fun to see how they really compare.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess that depends on your uses. I have a couple of DSLR ProSumer Sony Alphas that I'd use for anything that the Samsungs fell short of. I'm gonna do some comparisons between the S5, Note 3, Sony point-n-shoot, and Sony Alpha a700. ...it'll be fun to see how they really compare.

NoTe 3 2 1nFiNiT1

Throw the Lumia 1020 in the mix ;)

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Even though I own and enjoy the M8, I'd have to say the 4 MP camera. Plastic isn't bad as long as it feels high quality like the G G3, I wouldn't be surprised if HTC ditched a metal construction for plastic to have waterproofing, removable battery, and wireless charging. It would also mean that there wouldn't need to be an HTC logo bar.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
M8 is worst as most people will put a plastic case on it, which negates it being all, metal. The 4mp camera is not good enough. I would rather use the s5 as plastic is not a negative to me.

Sent from Surulere, lagos. Nigeria.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rather have the Galaxy S5 plastic design over HTC 4 mp camera or vice versa?

Before the S5 I would have said the plastic was worse. But after playing with a friend's S5 and the great feeling of the back cover changed my mind. I really dislike the flimsiness of the back cover on my Note2; I've ogt multiple spiral cracks (cracks not swirls) on the back. Of course it doesn't help that it's white lol...the cracks are getting discolored and turning to a tan color. But Now that samsung have changed their backs, the camera on the htc is killer. I don't see the logic in keeping the same camera.