Smartphone Tracking/GPS

k1fox

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks. Just wanted to know if an Android smartphone can be tracked if the GPS is off and there is no mobile data plan currently active? Do you guys always keep your GPS enabled? I don't seeing that in my case its not needed but would you recommend for it be kept enabled. Just wanted to know in the event I can find my phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The only way Google can track the phone is if you enabled and it is on some kind of network (mobile or wifi)...

Of course, if you get all technical, your carrier can track your phone based on the towers it is communicating with, but I'd chance a guess that Verizon or AT&T couldn't care any less about you and your lost phone unless your request came in the form of a federal subpoena.

I always keep my GPS enabled... it is only active if an app is actively calling for a precise location. If I find an app that is accessing the GPS when there isn't any need, I'll fix that app.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can not turn off e911 location services. The only way to fully ensure that your phone cannot be tracked into put it into airplane mode

neryqe3u.jpg

If you want to find your phone, you do not need to have gps enabled but must enable either mobile data or wifi. Note that the location might not be as accurate with gps off.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
You can not turn off e911 location services. The only way to fully ensure that your phone cannot be tracked into put it into airplane mode

No. You are just assuming it can't be tracked when in airplane mode. You don't know for sure. And you have no way to check.
The only way to fully ensure that your phone cannot be tracked is to switch it of and remove the battery.

Of course that phone is then not a functioning phone anymore. So you might as well leave it at home.

Bottom line: if you carry a 'live' phone, you can be tracked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca