Evernote Alternatives

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My Evernote Premium expired and I don't want to pay again, can I can get some recommendations for a replacement?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
My Evernote Premium expired and I don't want to pay again, can I can get some recommendations for a replacement?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

What exactly do you use Evernote for? What features?

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What exactly do you use Evernote for? What features?

I am in college and I use it for notes (I type them up on my laptop), various to do lists, and homework assignments.

eggantom

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
How about (please, don't laugh) OneNote?
I tried it once and can't say that it's bad. Though I'm not that much into heavy note taking.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How about (please, don't laugh) OneNote?
I tried it once and can't say that it's bad. Though I'm not that much into heavy note taking.

OneNote is not bad, but their mobile app sucks IMO.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Been using Google Keep and its been doing ok. Keeps desktop app isn't terrible and was serviceable enough to type up notes in my Psychology class.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Been using Google Keep and its been doing ok. Keeps desktop app isn't terrible and was serviceable enough to type up notes in my Psychology class.

I was going to suggest the Chrome extension, but saw you already are using it. Keep is what I go to for notes. I don't use anything else.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I was going to suggest the Chrome extension, but saw you already are using it. Keep is what I go to for notes. I don't use anything else.

I got to say it is much simpler than Evernote, I have been color coding notes like Green for Math, and Orange for Psychology. More eye candy compared to Evernote but I do miss being able to categorize notes by tags.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Can't get into keep. It's just not as good as Evernote. The tag is an important feature i need

As for your use case try looking into Google Drive. It has version control have be offline storage so you can access the files w/no connectivity.
Also it has built in version control and sharing (as in folks see the actual file not a copy).

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Can't get into keep. It's just not as good as Evernote. The tag is an important feature i need

As for your use case try looking into Google Drive. It has version control have be offline storage so you can access the files w/no connectivity.
Also it has built in version control and sharing (as in folks see the actual file not a copy).

Google Drive is not good for just basic notes and reminders. That's where Keep comes in.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Google Drive is not good for just basic notes and reminders. That's where Keep comes in.

I agree not good for reminder but far better for note taking.

For reminder and todo I prefer Tasks.

I've tried to like keep but it just doesn't do things well.

If you want a better text editor than what Google Drive offers try Quickoffice Google has done a great job of tying those two products together.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree not good for reminder but far better for note taking.

For reminder and todo I prefer Tasks.

I've tried to like keep but it just doesn't do things well.

If you want a better text editor than what Google Drive offers try Quickoffice Google has done a great job of tying those two products together.

Again not good for notes. That's more for long form stuff which I did only in my Psych class. I mainly take photos of physical notes and add them and make lists.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Again not good for notes. That's more for long form stuff which I did only in my Psych class. I mainly take photos of physical notes and add them and make lists.
I disagree and by your own use case so do you. I'm not trying to be argumentative but up until now you haven't given us an accurate use model of what you are looking for. Taking photos of notes isn't really note taking, so I do agree Keep should work just fine for how you archive your notes.

Unfortunately Evernote is still much better at doing that style of data capture because it OCRs your pictures for searches and provides tags for even further granularity.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I disagree and by your own use case so do you. I'm not trying to be argumentative but up until now you haven't given us an accurate use model of what you are looking for. Taking photos of notes isn't really note taking, so I do agree Keep should work just fine for how you archive your notes.

Unfortunately Evernote is still much better at doing that style of data capture because it OCRs your pictures for searches and provides tags for even further granularity.

Evernote without a doubt is better than keep, but as I said in the OP I am tired of paying for it.

Cole McEwan

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I ended up switching from evernote after I tried Zimilate - www.zimilate.com. You can save almost anything, including web pages, images, files, notes, etc. I also like the fact that you can organize collections of content any way I want, both hierarchically and with tags. The whole app is browser based and works great on desktop/laptop and my phone.

Zimilate also saves the entire webpage to the cloud, including all the images and other assets, so you don’t have to worry about it disappearing. Plus instead of showing random images from the page, Zimilate creates a thumbnail of each saved webpage, which makes it fast and easy to locate content visually. You can also search the full text of anything you save.

One of my big frustrations with other tools is I end up reading almost everything on a mobile device and there was no easy way to curate it. With Zimilate, if you email a link to a webpage from your mobile or tablet, it saves the entire webpage for you, which makes curation simple and easy. You can also email images and files. If you email a link to evernote, all you get is the link, which means you can’t search for it and if the webpage vanishes into the ether you’re SOL.

Lastly, Zimilate recommends other similar, relevant collections from other users. Instead of bookmarking or following other collections, you just drag and drop them to add them to your own, and then you can browse and search the combined contents. Worth checking out, I like it much better than evernote

Bill Peters02

May 1, 2014
Visit site
After using evernote for a while, I switched to Zimilate too. I love the hierarchical organization plus tags, and have found the interface to be cleaner and easier to use. I have to say, now that i can email a link from the webpage or app on my phone and have Zimilate save the whole thing I?m never going back!

Angel Chuang

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I am a new user searching for web clipping software. I download both Evernote and Zimilate. I think they are great! I list some points that I found between Evernote and Zimilate. Zimilate seems more friendly and intuitive for me.

1. Some web pages downloaded by Evernote lose their original formatting, including setting of words and size (length & width proportion) of pictures. It seems that some size format cannot work well in Evernote. However, Zimilate can fit the web page in my screen well, keeping the original formatting.

2. Once I create a sphere in Zimilate (like creating a Notebook in Evernote), Zimilate provides the “Other Spheres You Might Like” that help me discover, expand, and connect to more related resource from shared information by other people. In addition, I just drag the shared information in to my working sphere and then I can easily include the new information in.

3. In Zimilate, the thumbnail of each saved web page can capture more complete image of the web page instead of some portion of web page. Therefore, the full image can offer more information that reminds me of what is in this web page more.

4. By showing thumbnail in the working space, I can organize collections of content any way I want, both hierarchically and with tags. I can feel it friendly and easy. I also can invite my family member or close friends to collaborate for the collections in the next new edition.