Camera(phone) to go with LTE tablet?

What to change in my lineup?

• Total voters

hg1027

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello Fellow Android-CentrAliens

I've been living with a crummy old Samsung Galaxy Ace for the past two years (work provided), and I've had a Nexus 7 LTE for the past 6 months. So the phone is a phone, the tablet is everything else, and since work gave me the phone, I don't care if it breaks. And it fits in a pocket.I used the Ace camera to take work related pics, and when I was at home, I had a digicam that I was good enough about hauling around.

Now that job is over, I'm on my own for a phone again. I used google voice on the Ace, so I didn't have to give my friends the new work number, and I use GV on my tablet and laptop. I'd really like to avoid getting a new high end smartphone (size, cost, lifecycle, etc), but if I want to have a camera everywhere I go (and I do), it seems I'm sort of stuck. Do I use a dumbphone, forward GV to the new number, and just tell my friends that text threads will be shot? Do I get the cheapest android phone, keep doing GV, and carry the camera as well (keys, wallet, phone, tablet, camera)? Or are we just at the point in the evolution of this stuff that I actually need a smartphone that's 70% of the size of my tablet, and the tablet?

TLDR:
I has a tablet. What now, internets?

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If it were me I'd get a smartphone. You aren't going to enjoy carrying all of that with you everywhere you go all the time.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've ever made this recomendation before, but if you really do take your tablet everywhere, want a camera with you everywhere, and (due to the tablet) are looking for a more mid-range phone, how about a Galaxy S4 Zoom? It is about as good as smartphone cameras come, is a decent midrange phone, and costs about what you'd pay for a point and shoot and a cheap Android while reducing the number of devices you'd have to carry.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I second jdevenberg's thougts here. The reviews of the 'phone' all gripe about the form factor... but they seem to look at the device as a phone with a pretty good point and shoot camera attached. I look at it as more a decent p&s camera with a phone attached.... and If you are going to lug around a point and shoot camera anyhow, why not combine the two?