Do You Miss Smaller Phones?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't miss them. I don't like having both a tablet and a phone, I want an all-in-one solution. The best solution for me is just a phone with a nice larger screen. I only have to carry one device around and that's what I prefer.

For me with the Moto X I no longer felt the need to get a tablet because I have a laptop. Tablets for me are little redundant now, unless you reeaallyy need a larger screen for something, even then there are Chromebooks with dedicated keyboards that cost the same as decent tablets.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For me with the Moto X I no longer felt the need to get a tablet because I have a laptop. Tablets for me are little redundant now, unless you reeaallyy need a larger screen for something, even then there are Chromebooks with dedicated keyboards that cost the same as decent tablets.

Agreed agreeed agreeeeed. I also own an HP 11 Chromebook and that with my S5 seems to be a pretty great combo.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I miss small phones.
Android needs more phones like the Z1 Compact and the DROID MINI.

Looking at those size charts.... you can add the Moto X on that list.... it's only a shade bigger than the Z1 C.... and it is one hell of a phone.

OK... so maybe it's not all that bad after all. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, I belive the Droid Mini was one of the most underrated phones of last year. 720p screen, 4.3 inch screen, and all the positives of the Moto X (besides design of course).

It will stay underrated and underappreciated because it's a Verizon exclusive.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Agreed agreeed agreeeeed. I also own an HP 11 Chromebook and that with my S5 seems to be a pretty great combo.

I have been debating whether the Moto 360 or the Dell Chromebook 11 will be my big personal tech purchase ($200+) of the year. Last year was getting the Moto X, and assorted accessories.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Aggh , rooting is so out of my realm of comfortability.

You do not need root to use pie control. Certain features do require root, but I don't have root and it still works fine for me.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
With my Moto X broken, I have been relegated back to my Droid RAZR M and I can't help but miss the the Ms small size, and when compared to the Moto X they are close in size. But I got to thinking about how phones across all Operating Systems (iOS excluded for now) are getting larger, M8 is tall, the Lumia 1520 is huge, and the Z30 is quite big. But do you guys miss how phones had screens that were less than 5 inches?

I personally will not exceed 4 inches. These phones have turned into people carrying tablets. I already have one of those.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I tend to use my phones one handed frequently, so it seems every time I go to a flagship Android, I wind up back on my iPhone.

The problem I run into is I really like the screen real estate, and the current crop of devices have just amazing screens.

My wife was using my old S3 after her Evo LTE failed, so I bought her the new LG G2. I just can't get over how good the screen looks! But, I know what will happen.

I'm stuck in a wormhole of tech lust...

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I do not miss the small phone at all. Had my note 3 for about 4 months and love it!

(came from the iPhone 5 and it's tiny screen)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You do not need root to use pie control. Certain features do require root, but I don't have root and it still works fine for me.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

How did you do it then?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I personally will not exceed 4 inches. These phones have turned into people carrying tablets. I already have one of those.

After thinking long and hard on, I will not use a phone that exceeds the Moto X size.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I really, really love the size of my Moto X. However, I won't say that I will not use a bigger phone. I don't know what's coming for me or for phones in the future.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Having Grown accustomed to larger displays 5" ? i just wouldn't drop below this for the following reasons..

1) I like watching videos on the move and the Screen on my Note 3 is just brilliant for this.

2) I read alot from various tech sites, news, emails ect and larger displays make this well easier and more enjoyable.

3) I quite enjoy taking photo's (Not a photographer lol) and displaying and editing is alot better on the larger display.

Im currently using my Nexus 5 and awaiting my Z2 and the area between 5-5.7" Display is the sweet spot.

I did briefly own the Mega but at 6.3" Display it was great don't get my wrong. However just a bit out of my comfort zone to use as a daily driver.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I just switched from my Moto X, to using my wife's iPhone 5c for a few days (specifically because I was remembering smaller phones fondly), to a Note 3. While I do like the one handed use of a small phone, I love the giant screens. I would happily buy a 6"+ phone.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I just switched from my Moto X, to using my wife's iPhone 5c for a few days (specifically because I was remembering smaller phones fondly), to a Note 3. While I do like the one handed use of a small phone, I love the giant screens. I would happily buy a 6"+ phone.

That is tablet zone for me. Every time I'm contemplating getting a bigger phone I remember how useful a smaller phone is. Pulling your phone out with one hand and typing on it one handed. Using it one handed to look for something when your other hand is busy. Then I also remember I have small hands so bigger phones look even larger in my hands.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is tablet zone for me. Every time I'm contemplating getting a bigger phone I remember how useful a smaller phone is. Pulling your phone out with one hand and typing on it one handed. Using it one handed to look for something when your other hand is busy. Then I also remember I have small hands so bigger phones look even larger in my hands.

I do see the benefits of smaller phones and do enjoy being able to use them one handed. I loved that about the Moto X (which was barely larger than the iPhone 5c despite the huge screen size differences). I think it really comes down to personal preference. If I had a job (or lifestyle) where I was on the go a lot more vs at a desk, the small size may be more appealing. However, I very rarely find myself in situations where I need to use my phone one handed, and even when I do, I usually use voice commands even on a small phone.