Do You Miss Smaller Phones?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
With my Moto X broken, I have been relegated back to my Droid RAZR M and I can't help but miss the the Ms small size, and when compared to the Moto X they are close in size. But I got to thinking about how phones across all Operating Systems (iOS excluded for now) are getting larger, M8 is tall, the Lumia 1520 is huge, and the Z30 is quite big. But do you guys miss how phones had screens that were less than 5 inches?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Probably one of the key reasons I enjoy my HTC One (M7) so much. Given its specs its a top performer yet the screen size is under 5 inches which makes it comfortable to carry and hold.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Smaller phones are easier to use one handed. My wife's iPhone is great for this. But love the size of the screen on my note 3. I get headaches when using a small screen (even my old s3), so I am perfectly happy with the Note 3. Plus, great for movies

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My bio-metrics just fit the 4.7 size perfectly which I learned from the years of use I got from my Galaxy Nexus.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Smaller phones are easier to use one handed. My wife's iPhone is great for this. But love the size of the screen on my note 3. I get headaches when using a small screen (even my old s3), so I am perfectly happy with the Note 3. Plus, great for movies

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

True, I wanted a Note 3 when it first was announced, but I soon realized I couldn't use that thing one handed. I have small hands >_>.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Heh.... I got big hands, so I've always found 4' phones difficult to use... the screens just felt too cramped and I had a hard time typing.... I had a hell of a time on my old Stellar until I loaded Swype. I had only a couple of minutes of screen time on a relatives iPhone 5s and I was just about ready to throw it against the wall.

My Nexus 5 fits my hands perfectly.... I can use it easily with one hand. But I can definitely see where the size might be hard to use for someone with small hands. And I think that they are recognizing this.... Most of the flagships are being released in 'mini' form. Though, it think only Sony managed to make the smaller one as powerful as the full size.

For phones... the 5' form factor will dominate. Some are dabbling with slightly larger, but I have a feeling that things will settle back down to phones between the Moto X and Nexus 5.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Heh.... I got big hands, so I've always found 4' phones difficult to use... the screens just felt too cramped and I had a hard time typing.... I had a hell of a time on my old Stellar until I loaded Swype. I had only a couple of minutes of screen time on a relatives iPhone 5s and I was just about ready to throw it against the wall.

My Nexus 5 fits my hands perfectly.... I can use it easily with one hand. But I can definitely see where the size might be hard to use for someone with small hands. And I think that they are recognizing this.... Most of the flagships are being released in 'mini' form. Though, it think only Sony managed to make the smaller one as powerful as the full size.

For phones... the 5' form factor will dominate. Some are dabbling with slightly larger, but I have a feeling that things will settle back down to phones between the Moto X and Nexus 5.

Yeah, the only real good device under 5 inches besides the Moto X is the Z1 Compact. It has a more limited availability but you can snag it from Amazon for around $500, but at the same time the Moto X unlocked on Amazon is less than $350.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True, I wanted a Note 3 when it first was announced, but I soon realized I couldn't use that thing one handed. I have small hands >_>.

I have a hard time using one handed but pie control helps. There is also one handed mode on the note 3 but I don't like using it

ady7y4em.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the only real good device under 5 inches besides the Moto X is the Z1 Compact. It has a more limited availability but you can snag it from Amazon for around $500, but at the same time the Moto X unlocked on Amazon is less than $350.

Yep... There was a comparison of the 'Mini' versions I read recently and right in the first paragraph, they said "This isn't quite fair... the Z1 Compact is bascially the Z1 with a smaller screen, but the others are a good step down from their full size counterparts". Sales drives what we get. The reason why everyone is going with larger screens is because that is what people are buying.

Who knows... there IS a market for smaller phones. But the 4' size might end up being strictly relegated to the low/mid range and emerging markets... especially if the iPhone 6 4.7' rumors are true... if that's the case, then Apple will, of course, will be hailed as the innovators who are the first to come to market with a 4.7' screen and no one will bother with smaller screens.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that 4.7" will be the smallest sized iPhone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I also think Apple will keep 4" size of iPhone, but it's going to be a variety of their plastic 5C

Yeah.... I agree, I overlooked the C....

If the rumors of the 4.7/5.5 iPhones are true, then I think the days of a 4 inch 'premium' iPhone are numbered. A lineup that consists of a 4' iPhone 6c, a 4.7 6 and a 5.5 6+ (or whatever they are going to call it) makes the most sense. They ARE going bigger... if Apple trotted out another 4' iPhone, the reaction they'd get would be like all those Jets fans that show up every year to the NFL draft (if you don't know, it ain't pretty).... and I'm guessing that a 4' iPhone 6C is going to be a 5S wrapped in plastic.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't miss the smaller phone because I kept my 5s to go along with my Note3, but if I had to choose....I would take the Note3 without a doubt.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... I agree, I overlooked the C....

If the rumors of the 4.7/5.5 iPhones are true, then I think the days of a 4 inch 'premium' iPhone are numbered. A lineup that consists of a 4' iPhone 6c, a 4.7 6 and a 5.5 6+ (or whatever they are going to call it) makes the most sense. They ARE going bigger... if Apple trotted out another 4' iPhone, the reaction they'd get would be like all those Jets fans that show up every year to the NFL draft (if you don't know, it ain't pretty).... and I'm guessing that a 4' iPhone 6C is going to be a 5S wrapped in plastic.

Considering they put the 5 in plastic I can definitely see them doing the same for the 5S. Then for the high end models it will be 4.5'+.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I miss small phones.

Apple iPhone 5S vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Visual Phone Size Comparison

Sony Z1 Compact vs. HTC One vs. HTC One M8: Visual Phone Size Comparison

Motorola DROID MINI vs. Motorola Moto X vs. Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Visual Phone Size Comparison

Android needs more phones like the Z1 Compact and the DROID MINI.

I agree, I belive the Droid Mini was one of the most underrated phones of last year. 720p screen, 4.3 inch screen, and all the positives of the Moto X (besides design of course).

azkimbers

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Heck, no! Because of my hearing loss, I need closed captioning and it's a pain to read on smaller screens so I prefer my Note 3. Plus it's a joy for gaming. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't miss them. I don't like having both a tablet and a phone, I want an all-in-one solution. The best solution for me is just a phone with a nice larger screen. I only have to carry one device around and that's what I prefer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanthan23