Why shouldn't I get a windows phone?

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

Posted via Android Central App

PxuLL

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
So I'm looking to get a new phone and hear a lot of people bashing windows phone? I love the look of it and, since I don't use many apps anyway, I don't see how the "limited" app availability will affect me anyway.

So can you give me some legitimate reasons as to why someone shouldn't get windows phone?

Notifications don't come through as soon as you get them, trust me the app availability will affect you say that trust me it will ;) Also the brightness has three options high medium and low and putting it on the lowest option is too hard to use at night for 30mins+ or getting some nasty eye strain. Also whenever your apps need updating it doesn't tell you, you either have to search the apps up separately or ask other people.

Trust me don't get it!!! This is all first hand experience Windows Phones are disgustingly terrible.

Source: Me (I still own a WP :( )

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

As an ex-Windows Phone user myself, they aren't terrible. And, in fact, 8.1 has closed the last few gaping holes that made Windows Phone clearly inferior to iOS or Android (notification center and assistant). However, at the same time, Windows Phone doesn't really do anything better than iOS or Android and you are sacrificing by having a smaller app ecosystem and less compatibility with other devices (TVs, set top boxes, car stereos, etc. will often fully support iOS and Android while offering minimal if any functionality with Windows Phone). So I guess my question is why would you get a Windows Phone, particularly if you are already invested in Android. Also, out of curriosity, what phone do you have now?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
No customization.
No file manager.
No rooting, custom ROMs, kernels, or overclocking.
Very few quality 1st party apps.

Like above person said, why would you get a Windows Phone when Android or even iOS is better?

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Notifications don't come through as soon as you get them, trust me the app availability will affect you say that trust me it will ;) Also the brightness has three options high medium and low and putting it on the lowest option is too hard to use at night for 30mins+ or getting some nasty eye strain. Also whenever your apps need updating it doesn't tell you, you either have to search the apps up separately or ask other people.

Trust me don't get it!!! This is all first hand experience Windows Phones are disgustingly terrible.

Source: Me (I still own a WP :( )

I agree. My friend has one and she hates it, she can't do anything with it, always misses her messages, can't personalize anything on it. Her upgrade is coming up and she's looking at the Samsung GS5.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree. My friend has one and she hates it, she can't do anything with it, always misses her messages, can't personalize anything on it. Her upgrade is coming up and she's looking at the Samsung GS5.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the new Windows Phone 8.1 come with a notification center?

I'll have to toy around with it on my WP8 phone.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but doesn't the new Windows Phone 8.1 come with a notification center?

Yes it does. 8.1 actually looks really good. I'm halfway thinking of picking up a 1020 or 1520 to play around with it.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
The main reason is def App support. My wife had one (1020) she hardly ever used any apps, but even she struggled with it. The App store is also a tad confusing, its not as smooth and user friendly as the Play Store - not to mention the actual apps available. We sold the 1020 for a Nexus 5 and she loves it.

PxuLL

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Yes it did but of course half the apps you use on a daily apps are not 'configured' for it and dont show up there.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does. 8.1 actually looks really good. I'm halfway thinking of picking up a 1020 or 1520 to play around with it.

Only if you have the spare cash because really you'll wanna get rid of it in a month or so...

PxuLL

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
My main reason? App support.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

It has been for ages, MSFT just don't try hard enough to embrace the OS and get developers publishing bigger and better apps, I personally think its too late for change they stuck themselves in the wrong for ages and its set like that, simply.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a S4 for a couple days after my 1020 took a swim and I am dying to get back... People say that there's nothing it does better but there is no launcher available that's half as intuitive as stock windows phone. I miss it. It's just more media-centric and social than any other OS.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Some also you use might noe be there. Also little things you may not like. No file manger, no specific VPN settings, no downloading and uploading via the web browser. Few choices in high end hardware as well. Right now there is the 1520, Icon, and Ativ SE and that's it. Compare that too Z2, S5, M8, Moto X, Note 3, Z1C etc. But other than WP8.1 fixes a lot of problems that I had with the platform so I'm definitely considering getting one.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

They seem like good devices to me. Doesn't hurt to spend some time playing around with it. All devices have pros and cons.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The low overall number of apps available for Windows Phone is a serious drawback also outrageously awkward method of toggling wifi/data/GPS etc on and off. If I want to toggle a setting like this, I want to be able to do it in a couple of taps, not by navigating to Settings and hunting down what I need.