Upgrade Eligible - Xperia Z2 or LG G3?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Galaxy S4 on Verizon and I'm due for an upgrade. The S4 has a lot of cool features but my experience with Samsung reception has sucked between the Nexus and S4. So I'm washing my hands of Samsung.

PC Mag ranked the LG G2 reception 8/10 which seems fairly decent. I don't have a clue how the Xperia Z2 is going to be for reception, but supposing the Z2 and G3 get equal reception, I'm truly torn between these phones. I can't wait for then to hit Verizon's shelves so I can play around with them. They seem almost equal in specs (although I haven't read confirmation that the G3 will come with 3GB RAM). What do you guys think will be the better phone?

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a Galaxy S4 on Verizon and I'm due for an upgrade. The S4 has a lot of cool features but my experience with Samsung reception has sucked between the Nexus and S4. So I'm washing my hands of Samsung.

PC Mag ranked the LG G2 reception 8/10 which seems fairly decent. I don't have a clue how the Xperia Z2 is going to be for reception, but supposing the Z2 and G3 get equal reception, I'm truly torn between these phones. I can't wait for then to hit Verizon's shelves so I can play around with them. They seem almost equal in specs (although I haven't read confirmation that the G3 will come with 3GB RAM). What do you guys think will be the better phone?

I've heard of great things about the Z2.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Tough call as the G3 is not yet announced and rumours are exactly that.

The Z2 is in my opinion the best feature focused phone thus far, excluding the Oppo find 7? and the latest announcement the one plus one, which are both focused also. However i still think the Z2 trumps in that it has the extra on top of feature focus in that it has great build and that it is waterproof.

I would and have opted for the Z2 (awaiting delivery) So fed up with Samsung and pointless features. Although i still love my Note 3 (Rooted & Custom Rom).

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I won't buy anything till I see the G3. My guess is it'll be quite impressive

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the G2 for 2-3 months. I didn't mind the build (thanks to Samsung, I got used to it), I love that they placed the bpower and volume rockers on the back and the battery life is amazing. No Super Phone today can beat it.

But...

I couldn't stand the UI, not even with Nova Launcher Prime. I think I posted it made Samsung's TouchWiz look professional. LOL

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well that's great news. Verizon gets an excellent phone and Sony gets exposure.

I'm definitely excited. A great phone as a possible choice in Verizon's arsenal of phones. I actually read two articles claiming that the Z2 could be exclusive to Verizon. I think it's a little early to make those assumptions, plus it would be a shame to deny the millions of users on the other three major carriers the Z2 as an option.

LG did a hell of a job with the G2. Unfortunately all we can do right now is speculate, based off of articles and personal opinion, what the G3 will offer as a complete package. I hope LG decides to go with 3GB of RAM, at least 3,000 mAh of battery life, and maybe a radio tweek. Motorola is still an untouchable force in reception and manufacturers and carriers should make reception quality a priority. If I were CEO of a major carrier, I would set a quality standard stating all phones need to meet reception criteria before going on our shelves. It's unfortunate that Samsung can get away with selling phones with sub-par radios giving the consumer a poor quality device while the Motorola consumers have top notch reception. Unfortunately, this is not a phone characteristic that can be researched. You "hope" that the phone you purchase will provide excellent reception, but the only way to validate that is either by trial and error or word of mouth.

At work, I get zero reception. I have two coworkers, both on Verizon, each using a Motorola, and they get 1-2 bars of signal and can successfully send and receive calls. It's extremely aggravating being on the same carrier and seeing first hand how crappy my S4 is. In July '13, I specifically asked the Verizon rep for the best phone on the shelf; assuming reception quality would be a variable in the equation. Money is never a factor in preventing me from buying the best phone on the shelf considering I have to live with it for two years.

The FCC has already proven to be a rigid, miserable branch of the government. Maybe someday they'll get around to telling carriers and manufacturers that all brands need to provide equal reception OR provide full disclosure of signal quality. In the end, who really cares that my quad-core device is great for gaming and multitasking when I can't use my phone 9 hrs/day at work while my coworkers, using the SAME CARRIER but different manufacturer can send and receive calls and also access the Internet on 3G? That pisses me off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze