Movies on 64 GB SD Card, Note 3 Kitkat - Rogers network

Cam B

May 4, 2014
Visit site
This has been frustrating me and I can't figure this out!

I have a Note 3 running Kitkat and had a 32 GB Sd Card, filled it with movies and pictures, movies all were put on effortlessly (yay, no iTunes) and all was well.

Well, the wife wanted a card as well so I used the opportunity to buy a Smasung 64 GB microSDXC HS-I Card. Using Kies I saved my stuff off the 32 GB card and formated it for the wife and proceeded to put my movies and pics onto the 64. Wow, what an experience. Some movies went on without a hitch and play great on my Note3, others however (and no rhyme or reason as I can tell) will not play. Actually, when you open the Video player and see the movies available it does show all movies that have been transferred there but only some of them have the small preview box with the intro in motion. The others are a static picture of a film roll and although the title is there it shows a duration on the movie as "00:00:00" so I know it's not going to work.

I then tried with an adapter and tried to transfer my movies over with my Macbook Air, and same thing happened, some movies would transfer over but others would transfer (taking just as long as the others ) but then would also show the duration "00:00:00" so I knew they wouldn't work either.

One movie was transferred by mistake directly onto my device internal storage and it worked. So I found the movie, and moved it to the external memory via file transfer on my phone and to my dismay the movie then showed 00:00:00.

I also tried directly from Kies and it asked me once if I wanted the movie converted first - I tried converting and I tried no conversion, neither worked and just gave the 00:00:00 duration movies. I confirmed that the '00:00:00' movies did take up the space on the card so I know it's there, I'm just frustrated beyond belief that I can't figure out why some movies transfer and others do transfer but for whatever reason have trouble with playback on the 64 Gb card only.

So to sum up my issue. I have transfered pics and videos to the new 64 GB samsung SDXC card in my Note 3 running KitKat. Pics went over fine, first 4 movie transfers went over fine and are playable, every subsequent movie I now try to put onto the card through Kies or otherwise the transfer happens, I see the memory being used by the new transfer yet on my device it shows a duration of 00:00:00. Why the first movies were successful and ones after that are not since the exact process was used for the transfers is beyond me.

And something else that has happened, a couple of movies transferred and showed the proper duration and looked like they would work fine but after viewing for a couple of minutes (one movie actually ran for about 40 minutes) it just stopped and gave the same 'This movie cannot be plaged' error.

I searched the forum and have been Googling this for days and haven't found anything similar but I'm hoping some guru can understand my explanations and provide at least a reason as to why it won't work or what I'm doing wrong/what I can do to fix it!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and all suggestions!

Last edited:

ironman447

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey man, I am experiencing the exact same problem and have been searching for a solution for the past 2 months with no success. I actually went straight for the 64gb card when getting the Note 3 and have had the very problem you are experiencing.
I have a couple of questions though:
Did all your movie files play off the 32gb card?
Did you update your phone between changes?

Cam B

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Yo! Thanks for the reply, with more experiencing the issue hopefully an android wiz will pick this up and help solve it! :)

Yes, every movie played off the 32 GB card and transferred over without a hitch. At the time I was running ICS (that came with the Note 3). But I updated to KitKat with my 32 GB card and again all movies worked from the SD.

I then got the 64 GB SDXC, hooked my phone up to my comp and transferred everything from the 32 GB SD to the computer, then put in the 64 and transferred everything I had just swapped from the 32 onto the 64... it took forever and so I just let it run overnight and got it the next morning. I then formatted the 32 GB so that I could put it in the wife's phone. When I checked later in the day I noticed some movies showed a regular duration while others showed the dreaded 00:00:00 and of course didn't work. There was a couple of movies that showed the full duration, however after playing them one lasted a mere couple of minutes while the other went for over half the movie before crashing.

That night I tried to transfer the movies to my phone with Kies... didn't work. Took the card and slapped it into an adapter and tried to put movies on it via my Macbook Air, again, they seemed to transfer but when I put the card into the phone... no go.

Frustrated I returned to the 32 GB and put movies back onto it with the adapter on my Macbook Air and tried it in my phone... all movies worked great. (And this is after the Kit Kat update, so to answer your second question the 32 GB worked on both versions).

At that point I thought the 64 GB was defective but now I am doubtful as the replacement card I got is doing the exact same thing and is frustrating the crap outta me. What good is all the space if the movies/pictures you put on can't be viewed. (NOTE: Pictures seem to be fine, I haven't noticed any issues yet with those).

Because I tried transferring via direct to phone (drag and drop windows/folders), then Kies, and also direct to the SDXC card via adapter in a computer I am at a loss to pinpoint this to Android or the phone. The only common denominator is the 64 GB SDXC card, especially since the 32 GB worked not once flawlessly, but twice as I simply re-loaded what I put on after formatting it. I just don't get it...

Will have time this weekend to search some more and fiddle with it again...

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
This has been frustrating me and I can't figure this out!

I have a Note 3 running Kitkat and had a 32 GB Sd Card, filled it with movies and pictures, movies all were put on effortlessly (yay, no iTunes) and all was well.

Well, the wife wanted a card as well so I used the opportunity to buy a Smasung 64 GB microSDXC HS-I Card. Using Kies I saved my stuff off the 32 GB card and formated it for the wife and proceeded to put my movies and pics onto the 64. Wow, what an experience. Some movies went on without a hitch and play great on my Note3, others however (and no rhyme or reason as I can tell) will not play. Actually, when you open the Video player and see the movies available it does show all movies that have been transferred there but only some of them have the small preview box with the intro in motion. The others are a static picture of a film roll and although the title is there it shows a duration on the movie as "00:00:00" so I know it's not going to work.

I then tried with an adapter and tried to transfer my movies over with my Macbook Air, and same thing happened, some movies would transfer over but others would transfer (taking just as long as the others ) but then would also show the duration "00:00:00" so I knew they wouldn't work either.

One movie was transferred by mistake directly onto my device internal storage and it worked. So I found the movie, and moved it to the external memory via file transfer on my phone and to my dismay the movie then showed 00:00:00.

I also tried directly from Kies and it asked me once if I wanted the movie converted first - I tried converting and I tried no conversion, neither worked and just gave the 00:00:00 duration movies. I confirmed that the '00:00:00' movies did take up the space on the card so I know it's there, I'm just frustrated beyond belief that I can't figure out why some movies transfer and others do transfer but for whatever reason have trouble with playback on the 64 Gb card only.

So to sum up my issue. I have transfered pics and videos to the new 64 GB samsung SDXC card in my Note 3 running KitKat. Pics went over fine, first 4 movie transfers went over fine and are playable, every subsequent movie I now try to put onto the card through Kies or otherwise the transfer happens, I see the memory being used by the new transfer yet on my device it shows a duration of 00:00:00. Why the first movies were successful and ones after that are not since the exact process was used for the transfers is beyond me.

And something else that has happened, a couple of movies transferred and showed the proper duration and looked like they would work fine but after viewing for a couple of minutes (one movie actually ran for about 40 minutes) it just stopped and gave the same 'This movie cannot be plaged' error.

I searched the forum and have been Googling this for days and haven't found anything similar but I'm hoping some guru can understand my explanations and provide at least a reason as to why it won't work or what I'm doing wrong/what I can do to fix it!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and all suggestions!

A(n unacceptably) high percentage of 64 GB SD cards have manufacturing defects that the user only finds out about after using it for some time.
I avoid all of them. I'll wait for the 128 GB SD cards (and pray they'll be better than the 64 GB batch).

Last edited: