Without Launchers, is android still your OS choice?

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
iOS is too limiting but thrives because of all of the third party apps and devices that it works with. Android has since gotten a lot of that third party support so I have no reason to use iOS. However, I think Android just lacks the polish of something like iOS. To get the perfect device it requires so much time, effort, and Google Play credit that it's not worth doing most of the time. I'd say only go to Android if you don't mind rooting and working hard with extra launchers and widgets. So no, it wouldn't be my first choice if there wasn't any launchers or custom roms.

Actually, I really am liking the direction Windows Phone is heading. Basic phone stuff is handled really well, updates are handled much better, it has a consistent design language throughout (one of the things that drives me crazy about Android. Every app looks and works completely different), has great built in apps without the fear of it suddenly being killed off or ruined by another service, and more. The reason why I haven't switched is because 1, Windows Phone is almost always a step behind Android (seriously, no smart watch?) in terms of getting the latest technology and 2, apps are not consistently supported and updated. Oh well, until then, I guess Android will do fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
iOS is too limiting but thrives because of all of the third party apps and devices that it works with. Android has since gotten a lot of that third party support so I have no reason to use iOS. However, I think Android just lacks the polish of something like iOS. To get the perfect device it requires so much time, effort, and Google Play credit that it's not worth doing most of the time. I'd say only go to Android if you don't mind rooting and working hard with extra launchers and widgets. So no, it wouldn't be my first choice if there wasn't any launchers or custom roms.

Actually, I really am liking the direction Windows Phone is heading. Basic phone stuff is handled really well, updates are handled much better, it has a consistent design language throughout (one of the things that drives me crazy about Android. Every app looks and works completely different), has great built in apps without the fear of it suddenly being killed off or ruined by another service, and more. The reason why I haven't switched is because 1, Windows Phone is almost always a step behind Android (seriously, no smart watch?) in terms of getting the latest technology and 2, apps are not consistently supported and updated. Oh well, until then, I guess Android will do fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Yeah I don't agree with most of this.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, to each his own.

Exactly. My problem though with your post is how does Android lack so much polish? I have used a Dinc2. Razr M, and a Moto X for extended periods of time and I always felt it was just as good. Apps may be a little higher quality, but the Play Store has increased in quality so much over the years, I have no problems. Are you running the latest OS?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. My problem though with your post is how does Android lack so much polish?

The only thing that is more polished and refined is Apple's marketing strategy to mislead the public into thinking that any device without their logo on the back is some low-rent piece of low-tech garbage.

But I see that pop up all over the place; "Android isn't as refined as iOS" or it "lacks polish" or whatever. Yes, if you said those statements, you would be 100% correct.... if it were 2010. Since then, Android has, you know, advanced. I can only go off my own personal experience. I have a Nexus 5, I have friends on iPhones. I see nothing about those iPhones that is more polished, or more refined. It's more the other way around... the Google 'ecosystem' (oh how I do hate that smug, pretentious usage of the word) has blown past Apple and left them in the dust... something even Apple has begrudgingly admitted to, citing as their biggest threat (internally at least).

Yes, it may take time to customize an Android based phone to your liking. But that's because Android allows you to customize nearly every nook and cranny to your liking. Given the choice, does anyone actually think that an iPhone user wouldn't fiddle with all the same stuff, if given the chance? Of course not, they'd all do the same stuff. But they can't.... Apple dictates to them what their experience will be. I don't see that as being more polished, I see that as ten tons of suck.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. You can customize Android immensely to your needs, even without a launcher. Honestly the main reason I use nova prime is because i can save the home screens. Otherwise, touchwiz is okay for my needs

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Without using Nova, I'd still enjoy Android. I basically use Nova to fit more app icons on my homepage. My OS of choice is still iOS, just because I like the experience of using it. I'm just going with a Note 3 as my daily driver now until the iPhone gets a bigger screen. Crossing my fingers for a 5.5". But I'd still be using this as my daily driver even if it was vanilla Android like on a Nexus 5 or even the experience of a Moto X

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. My problem though with your post is how does Android lack so much polish? I have used a Dinc2. Razr M, and a Moto X for extended periods of time and I always felt it was just as good. Apps may be a little higher quality, but the Play Store has increased in quality so much over the years, I have no problems. Are you running the latest OS?
Yeah I have KitKat. I don't know if I used the right word or not, but I'll give some examples of what annoys me.

Share menu is extremely cluttered and full of apps I would never share to.
Notification shade can get packed with apps and notifications very easily (and those stupid ones that you can't swipe away are annoying).
It's very difficult to find a perfect keyboard, with the Google Keyboard randomly turning prediction on and off and SwiftKey remembering things that I never would want it to remember and correct (emails for example).
Apps all look and act completely different, making it confusing to jump from one app to another.
App drawer is horribly designed. Why do you need to tap a button to get to it from your home screen (why not just put everything on your home screen)? Why is it split into pages, why not be one flowing page? Why can't you skip to the letter you want? It seems like it would be better as an app menu you could access anywhere (for the pull up from the bottom instead of Google Now). I know I could use Nova instead, but Nova has its own problems, like how you need to manually set your number of pages and how your how it has its own "hold on home screen" menu instead of the much cleaner and better looking stock one.

I know this stuff may be nitpicking, but it just seems like the small things, the things that you only notice when actually using Android for a while are the things that need fixing and yet just aren't being fixed.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have KitKat. I don't know if I used the right word or not, but I'll give some examples of what annoys me.

Share menu is extremely cluttered and full of apps I would never share to.
Notification shade can get packed with apps and notifications very easily (and those stupid ones that you can't swipe away are annoying).
It's very difficult to find a perfect keyboard, with the Google Keyboard randomly turning prediction on and off and SwiftKey remembering things that I never would want it to remember and correct (emails for example).
Apps all look and act completely different, making it confusing to jump from one app to another.
App drawer is horribly designed. Why do you need to tap a button to get to it from your home screen (why not just put everything on your home screen)? Why is it split into pages, why not be one flowing page? Why can't you skip to the letter you want? It seems like it would be better as an app menu you could access anywhere (for the pull up from the bottom instead of Google Now). I know I could use Nova instead, but Nova has its own problems, like how you need to manually set your number of pages and how your how it has its own "hold on home screen" menu instead of the much cleaner and better looking stock one.

I know this stuff may be nitpicking, but it just seems like the small things, the things that you only notice when actually using Android for a while are the things that need fixing and yet just aren't being fixed.

The things you described at things you notice from using iOS for extended periods and nitpicking. Majority of apps use the same design language now, the share menu is supposed to have a lot of options because Android apps talk to each other in contrast to iOS, and the app drawer is a very nitpicky thing. I don't think I have ever heard of someone complaining about how Android does not look like iOS. Because you described iOS perfectly.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
T I don't think I have ever heard of someone complaining about how Android does not look like iOS. Because you described iOS perfectly.

Right... I read and immediately thought that he could eliminate each line and replace it with one: "Android doesn't look or act like iOS." Well, it's not... he was 100% right.

Using an iPhone 5S is like buying in a nice, high end, luxury sedan.... fast, comfortable... the only problem is that you can't adjust the seats or mirrors, change the presets on the radio, or adjust the climate controls.... you get in, turn the key and drive. If it all fits you, then you'll love it. If it doesn't, well, you're stuck with it.

agp423

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Without launchers, I'd still use an Android without a second thought. Without MightyText and Tasker, I may consider switching to iPhone.

boyo1991

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I would have to say yes. I would still stick with android mainly due to the other features. It would be a feature I wouldn't let go without a fight, but because android is open source/Linux, this would never happen in the first place since OEMS get to see source code and manipulate it at will. And they certainly will.

heyjohnnybravo

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Id go with BB10 if launchers weren't a thing. Until (and if it even survives) BB10 can be remotely as customizable I'll be sticking with Android :)

Posted from my TARDIS!

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Used to use Nova Prime when I had Samsung phones. Now with the Moto X I don't feel a need to. Same goes for my tablet.

njlx2016

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC One M8, and a 2013 Nexus 7. Stock Android is boring. The use of dark grey throughout is very uninteresting, it's a weird color to choose. I enjoy Sense 6 over vanilla Android.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android does lack polish. Sure, they fixed the most rudimentary UI elements years later but it's very unintuitive, there's no push for a similar design language across apps, the menus are tough to navigate for a first time user. Ultimately, most people will use their phones as a facebook and texting machine. It's the way of the world. It does okay in this regard, not great by any means but okay. Sure, you guys can customize to your heart's content, at least I'd assume so as you're members of a phone forum but the average consumer is settling for what, to them, is a cheaper or bigger screened iPhone.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Android does lack polish. Sure, they fixed the most rudimentary UI elements years later but it's very unintuitive, there's no push for a similar design language across apps, the menus are tough to navigate for a first time user. Ultimately, most people will use their phones as a facebook and texting machine. It's the way of the world. It does okay in this regard, not great by any means but okay. Sure, you guys can customize to your heart's content, at least I'd assume so as you're members of a phone forum but the average consumer is settling for what, to them, is a cheaper or bigger screened iPhone.

This is incorrect. There was a massive push to fix UI elements and the majority of major apps have the same design language. Are even using a device running KitKat to say what you said?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is incorrect. There was a massive push to fix UI elements and the majority of major apps have the same design language. Are even using a device running KitKat to say what you said?

Yes.... KitKat is quite polished... and I can't see how you could say that the menus aren't intuitive.... they are extremely efficient, even the launcher is pared down and streamlined. It's smooth, extremely stable... Most Google apps have been updated to a similar look and feel as well. Sure, non-G apps might be all over the place, but Google doesn't rule with an iron fist (that's a GOOD thing)...

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I've had the M8, S5, S4, Moto X and Moto G. Oh, and the Nexus 5 for a few days. It's just not comparable in terms of being intuitive.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had the M8, S5, S4, Moto X and Moto G. Oh, and the Nexus 5 for a few days. It's just not comparable in terms of being intuitive.

Stock Android doesn't bury stuff in a million different locations and their settings menu couldn't be simpler. Open Quick Tiles -Settings... there's everything logically laid out for you. I've been using it for months, and the consensus industry wide is that the 'stock' Android on the Nexus 5 is the most polished and refined version out there... and I don't think I've ever read "not intuitive" in any review or breakdown.

I apologize for the testiness.... but I get a little aggravated when I see the "just not polished" tag get thrown out there..... it's just a dated viewpoint from my point of view and not based on how things are now.