Moving to San Diego (Carlsbad), California. Best carrier?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I hope someone out there can help me. I'm being transferred to our San Diego office, in Carlsbad, California. BUT, I currently live in Mexico, so I'm a bit out of touch with current carriers in the US.

To me, besides a place to live, the first thing I'll need is Internet at home and on my mobile, so, which carrier is better for this area? I'm looking for the best deal possible in terms of prices, but also with good coverage (what use is having unlimited data, for instance, if you only get service half of the time). I'll be new to the area, so Navigation will be a huge thing at first; I'd hate to lose service in the middle of an unknown road :)

Oh, and I know this is wishful thinking, but is there a plan that is not too expensive with at least 3GB of data? I really don't care about voice (I call maybe 10 or 15 times a month) or text (can't even remember the last time I sent an SMS! :p), my 'thing' is heavy e-mail, maps, and Instant Messaging use.

Hope you can help :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've heard good things about a few carriers there but that's just hear say... I haven't experienced it personally.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have visited San Diego a few times, always had signal with Verizon. People on att didn't have any issues either.

You can also use apps like sensory to check your specific location. Network quality Speed can vary greatly even within the same area. I can get 100mbps plus in in LA in some areas and sub 2mbps in others especially in non xlte areas.

u7e3e6a9.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Any tips on data plans? I'm bringing my Note 3 with me, and if the Note 4 convinces me, will probably get it off-contract, so I'm open to both post and pre paid plans, as long as they're the best deal for data.

If a carrier came up with a data-only plan, I'd go kiss their CEO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Any tips on data plans? I'm bringing my Note 3 with me, and if the Note 4 convinces me, will probably get it off-contract, so I'm open to both post and pre paid plans, as long as they're the best deal for data.

If a carrier came up with a data-only plan, I'd go kiss their CEO.

What's your average data usage in a month?

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tmobile 5gb for $30 is probably the best deal. What note 3 variant do you have now?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use around 2.5 to 3 GB on average a month...

30 bucks for 5GB? That's not bad at all! Is that with the voice line included? Does anyone know how's the reception in Carlsbad for TMo?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use around 2.5 to 3 GB on average a month...

30 bucks for 5GB? That's not bad at all! Is that with the voice line included? Does anyone know how's the reception in Carlsbad for TMo?

$30 plan includes 5gb data and 100 minutes talk, and unlimited text.

I don't know anyone in San Diego with t-mobile so can't help there.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The big four seem pretty solid all over San Diego County. Might need to check on building penetration though.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
$30 plan includes 5gb data and 100 minutes talk, and unlimited text.

I don't know anyone in San Diego with t-mobile so can't help there.

You either have a VERY GOOD grandfathered deal or I'm looking at a different T-Mobile site... The only plan I can find is 60 bucks for 5GB. Their cheapest plan is $40 and that only includes 500MB
:(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You either have a VERY GOOD grandfathered deal or I'm looking at a different T-Mobile site... The only plan I can find is 60 bucks for 5GB. Their cheapest plan is $40 and that only includes 500MB
:(

I am not on the plan, I am on Verizon and pay about a penny a gigabyte based on my usage this month. That is a legacy plan though.

With regards to the $30 plan, it actually is a Walmart plan and still available.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobi...bucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n#Q&A+Exchange

meganschenck

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

I would highly recommend getting an account with Verizon. I live in Carlsbad and their coverage works great throughout the area. I have an iPhone 5C and it has great mapping/navigation that is very current.

I am also a licensed Real Estate Agent and the owner of Three Lagoons Realty. If you need assistance finding a home in the area I would be more than happy to help you. I am also a great resource for Carlsbad and the surrounding area. I can recommend restaurants, shopping, things to do in the area, etc. Carlsbad is a wonderful place to call home.

Please feel free to email me at megan@3lagoons.com or visit my website at Three Lagoons Realty, Carlsbad, CA Real Estate for additional information. Welcome to Carlsbad!

Sincerely,
Megan Schenck

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Megan, I'll take a look at the listings you have and see if anything fits my needs. Since I don't have any US credit history (regardless of an excellent score in Mexico), buying a house is still not in the cards for me yet. I'll be renting until I'm certain my job will be in California and get enough credit history to get a decent loan.

I actually might be going to Carlsbad this week before a trip I have to China, so I just might give you a call. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app