This is Tizen!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How do you determine holding value? There's two S5s in my area on Craigslist in the $200 range for ATT. I can also search Austin, TX where I'll be next weekend and there's a ton in that price range.

I don't think Android devices hold their value not as a result of my dislike for Android but because there is constantly something new.

Craigslist always has low prices for phones check swappa or eBay for their real value. Either way, Samsung devices always hold their value the longest for Android. Windows Phones devalue very quickly. That's why a Nokia Lumia 925/928 can be had for less than $200 despite being released in the same quarter as the S4 in the states. And S4 on the other hand still is worth over $300 easy. Which is he same price range for an iPhone 5 unlocked.

Posted via Android Central App

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Craigslist always has low prices for phones check swappa or eBay for their real value. Either way, Samsung devices always hold their value the longest for Android. Windows Phones devalue very quickly. That's why a Nokia Lumia 925/928 can be had for less than $200 despite being released in the same quarter as the S4 in the states. And S4 on the other hand still is worth over $300 easy. Which is he same price range for an iPhone 5 unlocked.

The 925/928 are also just lesser versions of a phone released third quarter in 2012, lesser version for specific carriers. Of course those aren't going to have much resell value. Not Flagships like the S4, not like the 920, the 1020 which was still under-specced for the time and resells for the same amount as the S4. Not to mention the Galaxy S series are all painfully overpriced on release which means they had a lot further to fall in that time frame.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The 925/928 are also just lesser versions of a phone released third quarter in 2012, lesser version for specific carriers. Of course those aren't going to have much resell value. Not Flagships like the S4, not like the 920, the 1020 which was still under-specced for the time and resells for the same amount as the S4. Not to mention the Galaxy S series are all painfully overpriced on release which means they had a lot further to fall in that time frame.

The Galaxy S series is not overpriced. That's your opinion. For dollar for dollar the Galaxy Series is the same price off contract as any other high end smartphone. If anything, the Windows Phone devices are overpriced. Pricing their phones like the competition hurts them more than anything.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy S series is not overpriced. That's your opinion. For dollar for dollar the Galaxy Series is the same price off contract as any other high end smartphone. If anything, the Windows Phone devices are overpriced. Pricing their phones like the competition hurts them more than anything.

Actually, they don't. Most of the high end Windows Phones sit at $500 or less. The Galaxy S4, the phone that had more hardware failures than any other high end phone ever, released at $749.99. I remember when the Lumia 920 came out it was real high end offering features that no one else could touch at the time and proving someone other than Apple could make a quality product. Bought it for $399, got a free bluetooth headset, wireless charger and $30 app voucher. knocking the price to roughly $299 off contract.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually, they don't. Most of the high end Windows Phones sit at $500 or less. The Galaxy S4, the phone that had more hardware failures than any other high end phone ever, released at $749.99. I remember when the Lumia 920 came out it was real high end offering features that no one else could touch at the time and proving someone other than Apple could make a quality product. Bought it for $399, got a free bluetooth headset, wireless charger and $30 app voucher. knocking the price to roughly $299 off contract.

The Nokia Lumia Icon and Active SE are $549-$599 off contract. The 1520 is $584 off contract, get your facts straight. The S5 is $599 and the iPhone 5C is $549 (base model), and the iPhone 5S is $649 off contract. They are all in the same price range, yet which of these devices probably never was sold in the millions?

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I have asked this question in many places, not just here. No one seems to have an answer.

I know for sure I already don't like touchwiz, and an entire OS based on touchwiz is definitely not appealing to me personally. But it will not have appeal to anyone else either unless it is providing something new or at least different.

Like it or not, TW is the most widely used Android based skin. It has 27% market share. By contrast all the other handsets that use Android skins are 7% or less. Nexus units do not even register on comscore. When the average consumer see TW they see Android. I do not like it, but them are the facts.

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/M...ch_2014_US_Smartphone_Subscriber_Market_Share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia Icon and Active SE are $549-$599 off contract. The 1520 is $584 off contract, get your facts straight. The S5 is $599 and the iPhone 5C is $549 (base model), and the iPhone 5S is $649 off contract. They are all in the same price range, yet which of these devices probably never was sold in the millions?

It's well-established how much the other carriers hate Windows Phone outside of ATT. Hell, Sprint still refuses to sell a Nokia Device out of bad blood from the Symbian days so they only sell the HTC garbage. I am glad that Sammy is better regulating their price though. The S4 had more hardware failures than any other high end phone and sold higher than the iPhone of it's time. As far as Apple goes though, I'd say it's a bit unfair comparing a phone that will hold like 10 good sized apps in it's 16 gig model to phones with expandable storage like the other options. Especially with them adding $100 for an additional 16 gigs and more for that extra 32. That's just opinion though. 16 gigs on a smartphone without expandable storage makes it less of a smartphone to me... Sad because I remember spending $40 on a 256 meg micro SD for my old PPC6800

- - - Updated - - -

Like it or not, TW is the most widely used Android based skin. It has 27% market share. By contrast all the other handsets that use Android skins are 7% or less. Nexus units do not even register on comscore. When the average consumer see TW they see Android. I do not like it, but them are the facts.

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/M...ch_2014_US_Smartphone_Subscriber_Market_Share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That statistic is cringe-worthy...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's well-established how much the other carriers hate Windows Phone outside of ATT. Hell, Sprint still refuses to sell a Nokia Device out of bad blood from the Symbian days so they only sell the HTC garbage. I am glad that Sammy is better regulating their price though. The S4 had more hardware failures than any other high end phone and sold higher than the iPhone of it's time. As far as Apple goes though, I'd say it's a bit unfair comparing a phone that will hold like 10 good sized apps in it's 16 gig model to phones with expandable storage like the other options. Especially with them adding $100 for an additional 16 gigs and more for that extra 32. That's just opinion though. 16 gigs on a smartphone without expandable storage makes it less of a smartphone to me... Sad because I remember spending $40 on a 256 meg micro SD for my old PPC6800...

I think we forget we aren't average consumers. We are more knowledgeable and power users so are usage may be higher but for average consumers they use their phones for quick notes, calendar, email, social networks, casual games, which amounts to the basics. The basics can fit in a 16GB phone which is the most popular model of the iPhones. Even with pics and videos the 16GB model lasts any a while. Hell, I used the 16GB Moto X for 5 months no problem and I had a bunch of productivity apps during my semester and all my pics, music and videos.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think we forget we aren't average consumers. We are more knowledgeable and power users so are usage may be higher but for average consumers they use their phones for quick notes, calendar, email, social networks, casual games, which amounts to the basics. The basics can fit in a 16GB phone which is the most popular model of the iPhones. Even with pics and videos the 16GB model lasts any a while. Hell, I used the 16GB Moto X for 5 months no problem and I had a bunch of productivity apps during my semester and all my pics, music and videos.

16 gigs minus three gigs file system... That wouldn't even hold my music collection. Even as such, there are several games that are more casual games that hog as much as 2.3 gigs of the data... I guess that may be just me but 16 gigs seems almost useless to me.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
16 gigs minus three gigs file system... That wouldn't even hold my music collection. Even as such, there are several games that are more casual games that hog as much as 2.3 gigs of the data... I guess that may be just me but 16 gigs seems almost useless to me.

Yeah it would be for YOU. Good thing there are options like Tizen devices.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly though, I feel if Samsung went elsewhere then it'd force more innovation. In terms of software, I feel Samsung could exceed the quality of most other Operating systems and it'd drive the competition more because there'd be another major player though I think they'd have to differentiate from Android more than they do (Though as stated above, when people see touchwiz they see Android) I want as many options as I can get for devices. Hell, I sometimes wish Palm had remained relevant a bit longer because they had some truly intuitive ways but subpar hardware

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Honestly though, I feel if Samsung went elsewhere then it'd force more innovation. In terms of software, I feel Samsung could exceed the quality of most other Operating systems and it'd drive the competition more because there'd be another major player though I think they'd have to differentiate from Android more than they do (Though as stated above, when people see touchwiz they see Android) I want as many options as I can get for devices. Hell, I sometimes wish Palm had remained relevant a bit longer because they had some truly intuitive ways but subpar hardware

I feel if people would stop blaming Samsung for everything, and put the blame on companies for not competing things would be better. Nokia won't advertise, Microsoft won't advertise, HTC does not advertise enough, LG never advertises at all. I mean the only companies ads I ever see is Apples, Samsung's, and the Verizon Droids.

Posted via Droid Razr M on The Android Central App

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Complete control of eco-system for Samsung. Top to bottom, total control on software and hardware. No headache of acting according to Google's whims.
"Google's whims"? Hahahahahahaha
rofl.gif

I could run down the list of things that Samsung has done to their versions of Android that have caused no end of problems for users, but I'm not certain the site has enough storage.

Never mind debacles such as their "smart" TV issues.

Yeah, just what I'd want: The entire ecosystem subject to Samsung's tender mercies.

No thanks. Samsung makes great hardware, but their software, quite honestly, sucks. And I don't mean just a little. We're talking major, world class suckage.

Jim

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Google's whims"? Hahahahahahaha http://www.linxnet.com/misc/smilies/rofl.gif

I could run down the list of things that Samsung has done to their versions of Android that have caused no end of problems for users, but I'm not certain the site has enough storage.

Never mind debacles such as their "smart" TV issues.

Yeah, just what I'd want: The entire ecosystem subject to Samsung's tender mercies.

No thanks. Samsung makes great hardware, but their software, quite honestly, sucks. And I don't mean just a little. We're talking major, world class suckage.

Jim

They make high-specced software. I'd be hard pressed to call any phone they made after the Samsung Captivate great.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
..but their software, quite honestly, sucks. And I don't mean just a little. We're talking major, world class suckage.

Let me show you world class software suckage.

gsmarena_002.jpg
gsmarena_003.jpg

In 2 flagships, they had such horrible software that, we will find it tough to find a worse phone in terms of battery performance. So much for amazing google software.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me show you world class software suckage.

View attachment 122363
View attachment 122364

In 2 flagships, they had such horrible software that, we will find it tough to find a worse phone in terms of battery performance. So much for amazing google software.

The Nexus 4 was right in line with other Android phones at the time. So I am not sure how that is an example of suckage. The only phones significantly better were the iPhone 5 and the Droid Maxx.

Google Nexus 4 goes through our battery test, see how it scored - GSMArena Blog

The Note 2 was only better because it was physically larger, and even then it only offered an extra 2 hours. That's not something to brag about...touchwiz was obviously not an asset to battery life.

Your link is also from 2012...there is lots of evidence that battery life improved with 4.3 and 4.4 on the nexus 4, and I have seen this myself on my own unit. One think I know for sure is that my Nexus 4 on Kitkat is WAY faster and smoother than any Galaxy phone from that era. It's UI is faster and smoother than most current flagships in 2014.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No thanks. Samsung makes great hardware, but their software, quite honestly, sucks. And I don't mean just a little. We're talking major, world class suckage

True... but they sell a TON of units. So what is there to drive Samsung to make better software? Not much. It's just the opposite actually since they brag about their software and how many people use it (they don't in reality).

Smooth and efficient OS isn't high on the list of what the mass market consumer wants... they just want it to take kick **** selfies and run Instagram. They are morons. No matter what you think of Samsung, they know how to get the market's attention and that attention leads to sales.. and LOTS of sales. And they'll be blissfully ignorant of the fact that their bedazzled S5 runs the a fat ******* of a software load out.....

BUT..... I'll say that has limits. The instant you take the Google/Android name (with the name pretty much the only thing the average schmoo recognizes) out of the equation, they'll get all bent out of shape. They don't know WHY they need Google, but they need it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey