This is Tizen!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
7 years ago Android was in the same spot.
7 Years ago, Android was offering actual functionality it's competitors did not already have. Android did not catch on simply because it was "different".

We can speculate that Tizen might magically acquire special features by 2018 that sets it apart...but that has not actually happened. And could just as easily happen to any other who-cares OS out there. Windows Phone at least had that fast UI right out of the gate...Tizen does not even have a novelty factor at this point. It looks like Android with a crappy launcher.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
7 Years ago, Android was offering actual functionality it's competitors did not already have. Android did not catch on simply because it was "different".

And smartphones were still in the nursery.... there were far more platforms back then and many fell by the wayside. Why is that? Because they couldn't hang. Here we are years later with two major and one semi-major players... But all of them have one thing in common, they give their users additional value. Apple, Google and Microsoft all have an idea what consumers want and use.... and whether or not I like the products, that doesn't change the fact that all three know software. Sure, they all have different approaches, but virtually every single person on this planet that goes online does so through one of those three's stuff (and MS STILL has a hard time getting traction).

Samsung doesn't.... Their software is utter horsecrap. If you look at Touchwiz, they load alternatives to Google's foundation gapps, yet each and every one is about as useful as a warm bucket of spit..... users launch them once or twice and they are never to be heard from again. Tizen wouldn't add any value to the consumer, it would take it away.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
See, that's the rub... A Samsung phone without Android is DOA in Europe, Asia and North America.... No one will buy it (and carriers have already said 'no thanks'). Granted, those three markets are not the entire world, but in terms of the technology market, well, it pretty much is.

If Samsung decides to kick Android to the curb, that will mark the end of Samsung as a dominant player in the smartphone/tablet industry. Ecosystem or not, I can't for the life of me figure out what they are thinking.

Greed? Why ruin a good thing?

Powered by android...for life! LOL

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
No one will buy it (and carriers have already said 'no thanks').

The overwhelming proof that Samsung can sell Galaxy devices few times more than Nexus should tell you that Samsung knows how to sell devices more than anyone here. If Samsung was so bad, why do you think they sell so many devices? They sell more devices than next 5 vendors combined. If you think they do it for just enormous marketing budget, they will do more on this.

00116ljz9.png

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Which is fine. Still does not answer the question as to why Tizen matters, or what exactly it can do that Android doesn't already do. I don't see a reason to be excited about it.

Windows Phone at least had a novel UI if nothing else...what does Tizen have?

I'm excited because new options are always great. I downloaded like 5 launchers, why, because each offers me something else. I chose one i like the best but it's still great there are more options. I don't see Samsung moving all their devices over to a new o/s like this because now there is so much competition among handsets, and people are so used to and like android that too many would have reason to look a little bit harder at a new LG, etc. I've so far used windows o/s, blackberry o/s, web o/s, and now android, and each of them had something different to offer, I'm way interested in seeing what this o/s brings. I have a feeling they won't ever give me a handpiece i'll like, so i may not own a tizen phone, but if they did i'd be more than down to try it. Granted most customers are not like me, people like to stick with what they know, but hopefully that doesn't prevent them from at least having one handpiece on the market. Honestly, i doubt they will, much easier to just stick with what they're doing, customers either really like or are just fine with what's currently on the galaxy line.

But i told a girlfriend of mine who loves android, she got a little frightened. lol.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am interest in where Tizen could be at, but more than anything I am still waiting on my Ubuntu phone on Verizon.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm excited because new options are always great.
It's not really new, because all it's competitors already do the same stuff. If I came out with a 4 wheeled vehicle and claimed I had invented an alternative to the car, what would you say?

It doesn't even look different.

I downloaded like 5 launchers, why, because each offers me something else.
Exactly...what is Tizen offering that is new?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It's not really new, because all it's competitors already do the same stuff. If I came out with a 4 wheeled vehicle and claimed I had invented an alternative to the car, what would you say?

It doesn't even look different.

Exactly...what is Tizen offering that is new?

Well i barely got a look the video was pretty short, so i'm not sure what is new. Maybe someone could chime in who's played with one hands on. From my brief peeks it doesn't look as the other o/s, which is a shame, but i'd love to find out. It looks barely developed, i'd like to see where they take it, hoping they work on it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well i barely got a look the video was pretty short, so i'm not sure what is new. Maybe someone could chime in who's played with one hands on. I don't think it's as different as the other o/s, which is a shame, but i'd love to find out.
I have asked this question in many places, not just here. No one seems to have an answer.

I know for sure I already don't like touchwiz, and an entire OS based on touchwiz is definitely not appealing to me personally. But it will not have appeal to anyone else either unless it is providing something new or at least different.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have asked this question in many places, not just here. No one seems to have an answer.

I know for sure I already don't like touchwiz, and an entire OS based on touchwiz is definitely not appealing to me personally. But it will not have appeal to anyone else either unless it is providing something new or at least different.

I'm just dissapointed i'm seeing those darn pulldown menus, lol. That to me is android and it's the 2nd major reason i loathe to have a handpiece too much larger than 5" tall. Which of course, is soon no longer going to be an option. Stuff like that is one of the reasons every time i hear there is a new o/s i'm happy to hear about it. It is dissapointing to me it looks like a mishmosh of android and windows, but we shall see. I don't see why it hurts to try build something new though. People seem downright tee'd off about it.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Also, there are a number of things that people have said repeatedly on this site is a problem native to android, one is low sound coming through a the headphone jack. I have no idea why that would be an android thing, and it's just one example, but that's what i've heard is why my phone doesn't have good sound coming out of it. It is woeful to me because music is one of the reasons i can't be without my phone for a day. Granted, it's just an example and i'm sure 100 people could yell at me right now for saying the sound is a problem, that it actually isn't a problem and that it must just be my phone, but i don't think that is true, that's it's just my phone, so if someone wants to make an o/s with which i don't have to crank my volume up to 80% just to hear it at a normal level (i live in a loud city), bring it on. Maybe android has no faults, i don't agree with that, so lets see what else people can come up with.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm just dissapointed i'm seeing those darn pulldown menus, lol. That to me is android and it's the 2nd major reason i loathe to have a handpiece too much larger than 5" tall. Which of course, is soon no longer going to be an option. Stuff like that is one of the reasons every time i hear there is a new o/s i'm happy to hear about it. It is dissapointing to me it looks like a mishmosh of android and windows, but we shall see. I don't see why it hurts to try build something new though. People seem downright tee'd off about it.
The hate is probably directed more at touchwiz IMO. And Tizen looks like it is based on Touchwiz. If it were just a new OS I doubt people would be as passionate about it.

BizzyB

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Smart OS in my appliances? No thanks. Every 2 years I have to replace a refrigerator because Samsung releases 5 million refrigerators after it, decides they no longer support it, stop sending it updates, and none of the apps work on its OS? Ha. F that. These things aren't cheap nor disposable. Show of hands, how many people still use the features on their "smart" TVs from 4-5 years ago? I'm guessing most would much rather use a set-top box, game console, or something like a Chromecast instead.

And don't get me started on the vehicles...

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Innovation often comes from new things. The industry cannot stay stagnent. At some point any O/S comes up upon a limitation that slows or stops advancement. (BlackBerry 7 for example which is why they went to QNX and BB10) So having people work on new things is good. Having said that when you get a new device and it stops working do you call Samsung or your Carrier? The Carriers have to provide the support and any new O/S is going to generate a lot of calls and support. This means more cost to carriers. Returns and exchanges all things that cost money. I think the big 3 in the US are quite happy with 2 major o/s to deal with. While I would never say i won't own a Tizen device I think the ball is in the Carriers court. Why was it only launched in Russia?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
IMO, if Samesung drops Android, then Android sales will drop like a brick unless another company steps up their marketing.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The hate is probably directed more at touchwiz IMO. And Tizen looks like it is based on Touchwiz. If it were just a new OS I doubt people would be as passionate about it.

Mostly, that's my thought..... I haven't had any first hand experience with Tizen... but I HAVE had plenty of first hand experience with Samsung's software and Touchwiz. I had two TW-based phones prior to my Nexus 5.... I checked out most of the Samsung apps they preload and, like virtually every other Samsung user, I pretty much threw it in the back of the drawer and never touched them again.. they were a mess. Touchwiz? meh... I always thought the layout and visual approach was quite dated.... LOOK AT ME!!! QUICKTOGGLE ALL THE THINGS!!!! But there were countless little things that got on my nerves, like the notification screen was so cluttered with junk that only 1 or 2 notifications would even fit before I'd have to start scrolling. It all just seemed to have a lot of dead weight. And I didn't begin to really like the SIII that I had until I unlocked it and purged TW and went to an AOSP-based ROM. In an amazing coincidence, as soon as I did that, the phone seemed so much faster and easier to use.

So if Tizen is Samsung's attempt to assert greater control over the software on their phones, I can only assume that the resulting platform will be a bloated, busy pile of digital diarrhea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12